The Student Room Group

Too much revision?

During study leave I've set myself my timetable to start revising at 7am and do around 8 sessions a day - all with at least a 30 minute break. Is that ok? Or is that too much?
(As I'm at school I've been getting up at 6am to do an hour before school so getting up early isn't an issue to me!)

**Please note that I'm doing my A Levels so I'll be revising a lot more than people at GCSE will be, I'm doing English Lit, English Language and German and I need to go from BBB to AAB for my Uni conditions**
Reply 1
what time were you planning on finishing each day?
Original post by Izzy162
what time were you planning on finishing each day?

At about 6, but that's if I keep to my timetable exactly- I think I'd space it all out until more like 10 pm
Wow ok I'm doing my GSCES but i'm amazed at how you can wake up so early
Good luck I think you'll do amazing with those hours:smile:
Reply 4
As long as you have plenty of breaks and go outside it sounds good, although personally I would revise past 7pm if you're starting that early! :smile: good luck x
Reply 5
Original post by t4lksh0wh0st
During study leave I've set myself my timetable to start revising at 7am and do around 8 sessions a day - all with at least a 30 minute break. Is that ok? Or is that too much?
(As I'm at school I've been getting up at 6am to do an hour before school so getting up early isn't an issue to me!)

**Please note that I'm doing my A Levels so I'll be revising a lot more than people at GCSE will be, I'm doing English Lit, English Language and German and I need to go from BBB to AAB for my Uni conditions**

I'm so jealous that you get a proper study leave! Unfortunately, at my school, we don't, our lessons are kinda optional but then again... kinda not. Personally, I think if you can wake up that early and really make the most use of that hour then sure, but I wouldn't say to revise for more than 12 hours in your day! Leave some time to REST, let all the knowledge sink in. But I think that's great - as long as you are taking key breaks between and recognising how long you want your sessions to be! For example, I lose my focus around 30-45 minutes, so my longest study block is around 40 minutes and I take a 15 minute break after each one and I always feel much better during the day, having had that break! My current grades are AAB/ABB average and I need AAA for uni so I know how you feel.

Good luck with everything!
Do let us know if you actually stick to it.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Do let us know if you actually stick to it.
I tested it out yesterday and I stuck to it perfectly :smile:
Original post by britmj
I'm so jealous that you get a proper study leave! Unfortunately, at my school, we don't, our lessons are kinda optional but then again... kinda not. Personally, I think if you can wake up that early and really make the most use of that hour then sure, but I wouldn't say to revise for more than 12 hours in your day! Leave some time to REST, let all the knowledge sink in. But I think that's great - as long as you are taking key breaks between and recognising how long you want your sessions to be! For example, I lose my focus around 30-45 minutes, so my longest study block is around 40 minutes and I take a 15 minute break after each one and I always feel much better during the day, having had that break! My current grades are AAB/ABB average and I need AAA for uni so I know how you feel.

Good luck with everything!

Oh man!!! I feel like we should be allowed to start study leave whenever we feel ready. Lessons for my at the moment are just a waste of time, everyone's just sat there chatting.
Oooo I think I might try that, revising for 40 min instead of an hour.
Good luck, I'm sure you'll get it!
Original post by pinkrox22310
Wow ok I'm doing my GSCES but i'm amazed at how you can wake up so early
Good luck I think you'll do amazing with those hours:smile:

Good luck! Thank you, I really do hope xx
Irrespective of the amount of work you do, I feel the best way to revise to build momentum with it, so start out with a slightly lower amount and build up to more. It really helps build that adrenaline for exams which I love.

Not sure if I can offer much advice otherwise because we have very different approaches to work I think - I used to timetable my revision and stuff, but this year I didn't do that at all and just revised whatever I felt like and I think it worked out better because I didn't have to spend time planning. Will know if it was effective in July though :biggrin:

But no, the only time revision is too much is if it means you sleep inadequately or if you feel like you're exhausting your brain with information, both are thing which are highly dependent on you as a person, but you should be able to tell for yourself if you're doing too much work from how terrible you feel before going to bed :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by t4lksh0wh0st
Oh man!!! I feel like we should be allowed to start study leave whenever we feel ready. Lessons for my at the moment are just a waste of time, everyone's just sat there chatting.
Oooo I think I might try that, revising for 40 min instead of an hour.
Good luck, I'm sure you'll get it!

Right? Study leave should start when actual teaching stops, which for me was around late March!

Thanks so much! I really hope so *fingers crossed*

Quick Reply

Latest