The Student Room Group

IGCSE English Lit?!

I have my IGCSE English Literature exams next week and I've barely done any studying for it...
I'm freaking out and idk how I should study for it either.
I'm doing An Inspector Calls, All My Sons and Spies.
I have quite an aptitude for english lit and I do enjoy reading the books, so would it still be possible for me to get an A*?!?!
Reply 1
Original post by igcsessuck
I have my IGCSE English Literature exams next week and I've barely done any studying for it...
I'm freaking out and idk how I should study for it either.
I'm doing An Inspector Calls, All My Sons and Spies.
I have quite an aptitude for english lit and I do enjoy reading the books, so would it still be possible for me to get an A*?!?!

I didn't study a single jot and got an A.

And sorry, but what advice do you want. Of course it is possible, but if you haven't done any work then I simply don't see how. And why do you want an A* so bad? Just do your best!

GL!
OMG IM IN THE EXACT SAME POSITION AS YOU ARE!!!
I have them both next week as well (I suppose we're doing the same exam) and I just started studying today.
I mean I feel alright about the plays but Spies is just ugh.. definitely choosing an extract based question for that one.
I guess it's a bit different for me though since I absolutely hate lit, BUT I've heard two different perspectives on the lit exams. So some people say it's sooooo difficult achieving a good grades in it, but some people say the grade boundaries are low (since everyone does so badly) so if you're good at english you should be fine hahah
Reply 3
Original post by IAmNero
I didn't study a single jot and got an A.

And sorry, but what advice do you want. Of course it is possible, but if you haven't done any work then I simply don't see how. And why do you want an A* so bad? Just do your best!

GL!

Whoops I guess I didn't word the question properly haha. I meant to say if I were to start studying now, then would it still be possible. I'm not really sure how to study tbh, and I have no motivation whatsoever anymore.
Reply 4
Original post by alexalexalex.
OMG IM IN THE EXACT SAME POSITION AS YOU ARE!!!
I have them both next week as well (I suppose we're doing the same exam) and I just started studying today.
I mean I feel alright about the plays but Spies is just ugh.. definitely choosing an extract based question for that one.
I guess it's a bit different for me though since I absolutely hate lit, BUT I've heard two different perspectives on the lit exams. So some people say it's sooooo difficult achieving a good grades in it, but some people say the grade boundaries are low (since everyone does so badly) so if you're good at english you should be fine hahah

Glad to know someone is in the same position as me!!! Yeah a lot of people compare the English IGCSE's to the GCSE's, and apparently the IGCSE's are considered as the "easy route" rather than the gcse's.
I can't be bothered to read the books again as it would be so time consuming arghh
Reply 5
Whoops I guess I didn't word the question properly haha. I meant to say if I were to start studying now, then would it still be possible. I'm not really sure how to study tbh, and I have no motivation whatsoever anymore.

Glad to know someone is in the same position as me!!! Yeah a lot of people compare the English IGCSE's to the GCSE's, and apparently the IGCSE's are considered as the "easy route" rather than the gcse's.
I can't be bothered to read the books again as it would be so time consuming arghh

Yeah, it's possible, just learn like 5 quotes from each, and easy peasy A.

And LOL IGCSE is much harder than GCSE, ignore anyone that says that.
Reply 6
Hello, I did Edexcel IGCSE Literature in June 2015 and got an A* with minimum effort. I would strongly suggest you to watch all these videos in this youtube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7K6t2DMy9MDNOsi2dTOeFJLjOn8yStL7 which will definitely boost your grades. Also, for the poems this youtube playlist-> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7K6t2DMy9MDvDk-2U8t15FZ0ZFoiXF-y is excellent.

As for getting that A* I would say try to predict ALL the possible questions you can get and jot down some important points and quotes for each question in a paper and remember it. Literature doesn't require memorizing or excessive studying, all you have to do is show the examiner that you have a good point of view and that the ideas you have are indeed true(proof, using quotes and direct links to the text). Also use the INTERNET, it is your best resource - read summaries, critique and reviews of your novel and prose from MANY different websites as they will give you a larger point of view and a lot more ideas.

Hope my advice helps. Cheers :smile:

Woaahhhh yeah IGCSEs are obviously super easy :wink:) jk jk ahahah. Yeah I've heard some people say that IGCSEs are supposed to be easier than the GCSEs and then some who say GCSEs are easier.
Something I actually do believe that someone in the year above told me is that the languages are harder in the IGCSEs but the Sciences are "easier". Or at least in our school as we have Coordinated Science instead of separated science. I would guess that if you take separated sciences at IGCSE level they're as difficult as GCSE.

Good luck for Lit anyways, may the grade boundaries be low :crossedf::crossedf:

Quick Reply