The Student Room Group

Chemistry with maths at uni

I am looking to apply to chemistry and/with maths courses next year and I was wondering if anyone who has done this course or is currently studying it could tell me what they think about the course at their uni?

Also, I have only been able to find this course option at Durham, Southampton, UCL and Leeds, which gives me a very limited option of where to go. Does anyone know of any other unis which offer this or a similar course?

Thank you
Original post by kj99
I am looking to apply to chemistry and/with maths courses next year and I was wondering if anyone who has done this course or is currently studying it could tell me what they think about the course at their uni?

Also, I have only been able to find this course option at Durham, Southampton, UCL and Leeds, which gives me a very limited option of where to go. Does anyone know of any other unis which offer this or a similar course?

Thank you

Flexible Combined Honours at Exeter. You can combine 2 or more subjects together. For example, I have an offer for Business and Geography, which isn't a common degree.
Reply 2
Original post by Peppercrunch
Flexible Combined Honours at Exeter. You can combine 2 or more subjects together. For example, I have an offer for Business and Geography, which isn't a common degree.

Thanks. Would this just be like studying the two subjects separately? Also can you think of any advantages of choosing this over a degree which is already combining the two?
Original post by kj99
Thanks. Would this just be like studying the two subjects separately? Also can you think of any advantages of choosing this over a degree which is already combining the two?

Well, it's pretty much the same. You can make it a joint honours degree with both subjects, and you can add a third subject as a minor, like a language. You also have a fair bit of choice in modules and you can choose a year in industry/year abroad.

If you want to find out more:
http://www.exeter.ac.uk/fch/

It could be your fifth choice or something.
Reply 4
Original post by Peppercrunch
Well, it's pretty much the same. You can make it a joint honours degree with both subjects, and you can add a third subject as a minor, like a language. You also have a fair bit of choice in modules and you can choose a year in industry/year abroad.

If you want to find out more:
http://www.exeter.ac.uk/fch/

It could be your fifth choice or something.

That sounds good, I'll look into it a bit more but it will probably end up being one of my options since I only currently have two places I want to apply. Thanks for the help.
Original post by kj99

Thank you

st andrews do it too

maybe consider some natural sciences courses too? though this would involve having to do a third subject in first year (other than the places youve mentioned nottingham, york cambridge and a few more offer the natsci course)
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello,

Finn is on the Natural Sciences course at York and blogs a bit about how it works in practice. You can read his blog posts here:

http://blogs.york.ac.uk/student-voices/category/study/natural-sciences/

Hope this helps?

Mark
Reply 7
Original post by madmadmax321
st andrews do it too

maybe consider some natural sciences courses too? though this would involve having to do a third subject in first year (other than the places youve mentioned nottingham, york cambridge and a few more offer the natsci course)

Original post by University of York
Hello,

Finn is on the Natural Sciences course at York and blogs a bit about how it works in practice. You can read his blog posts here:

http://blogs.york.ac.uk/student-voices/category/study/natural-sciences/

Hope this helps?

Mark

I have had a look at some Natural Sciences courses but most of them require me to do at least one other science alongside chemistry and maths, and ideally I was hoping to do just these two subjects as I am not a huge fan of the other sciences. Thank you for helping though, and I may consider applying to a few natural sciences courses (especially at York, which was my first choice of uni when I was originally going to do a straight chemistry degree).

I actually did know St Andrews offered the course but I had sort of forgotten about it since I have already ruled Scottish unis out for being too far away from family.
Reply 8
bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending