The Student Room Group

AQA Economics AS Unit 1

How did you guys find the Econ 1 exam today?

Just to clarify , it was the one with two contexts, one on negative externalities (context 2) and one on the housing market (context 1).

I did context 1, the housing market. How do you guys feel you did and what did you write if you did the housing market 25/10 marker?

Scroll to see replies

Context 2 was much easier. Loved the 10 mark aq
Original post by Zeshaan hj
Context 2 was much easier. Loved the 10 mark aq

I did context 2 as well, what did you write in the 10 marker? And if you can remember, did you get the mean price of cigarettes to be £6.29???
Reply 3
I thought the exam was bloody awful. Panicked and wrote loads of shite about having to use state provision to correct the allocative inefficiency/market failure (context 1). Concluded it was better left alone, I don't think that was even an option we were allowed to pick?
Reply 4
Amazing contexts, I never thought cigarettes would come up, literally an ideal question.
What the **** was that multiple choice though
I did context 1.
on the 10 marker I wrote its not perfect competition because buyers can demand as much as they want with there being excess demand and that there are barriers to entry to the market with the big firms.
Then on the 25 maker I wrote about government intervention would lower the geographical immobility of labour, then that they shouldn't intervene because the relaxation in planning laws will eventually increase supply but that's only a short term fix because there will be a larger depreciation of houses in the future and then finally the external cost of an increase in the inequality divide of increased crime, policing and insurance costs.

I don't know man the more I think about it the more I think I didn't develop my points enough to get an A.
Multi choice felt worryingly easy...
Reply 6
I did context 2, seemed wayyyy easier than context 1.

The multiple choice was a a little tricky.. some of the questions seemed like trick questions..
Original post by StudyQueen
I did context 2 as well, what did you write in the 10 marker? And if you can remember, did you get the mean price of cigarettes to be £6.29???

Yes indeed, rounded. And the 10 mark was mainly economic theory. So a shift in supply would mean a movement along the demand curve which means less is consumed. No evaluation is needed. I talked about inelastic PED in the 25 marker.
Reply 8
What did you guys get for the calculations question for context 1?
Reply 9
Do you guys think i can still get a high mark in the 25 market if i managed to do good analysis and eval in my first point with diagrams, good analysis in my second point but only a small evaluation for that and only a brief conlcusion.
Reply 10
Original post by Wafffle
Do you guys think i can still get a high mark in the 25 market if i managed to do good analysis and eval in my first point with diagrams, good analysis in my second point but only a small evaluation for that and only a brief conlcusion.

Considering the question is pretty much based upon analysis, i'd reckon you would!
what do you think I would get for the 10 marker
one definition correct
one wrong

Tax diagram, shift supply inwards, so prices fall and then i drew a demand curve shifting inwards

mean i wrote 6.30 ffs

25marker; 1 good analy + eval
1 decent analy + limited eval
1 decent anly + limited eval
pretty good conclusion
Original post by Rahul9_
What did you guys get for the calculations question for context 1?

i got 1222 people something like that
what did everyone write for context 1 for the 10 marker? i wrote about market share and monopoly power ..**** knows why. :frown:
Original post by StudyQueen

yeah, i sat it today and that's right
for context 1 on the maths question i got like 1721 something like that
Original post by Azim101
what do you think I would get for the 10 marker
one definition correct
one wrong

Tax diagram, shift supply inwards, so prices fall and then i drew a demand curve shifting inwards

mean i wrote 6.30 ffs

25marker; 1 good analy + eval
1 decent analy + limited eval
1 decent anly + limited eval
pretty good conclusion

Tax wouldnt shift the demand curve
Tax wouldnt shift the demand curve

A tax would increase the price of the good, which in turn shifts the demand curve (2 seperate curves)
Original post by Azim101
A tax would increase the price of the good, which in turn shifts the demand curve (2 seperate curves)

Movement along the demand curve. Be careful. Price never shifts the curve
Yes indeed, rounded. And the 10 mark was mainly economic theory. So a shift in supply would mean a movement along the demand curve which means less is consumed. No evaluation is needed. I talked about inelastic PED in the 25 marker.

Oh thank god, that actually fills me with some relief knowing that I got at least 4 marks 😂 And I completely forgot to draw a tax diagram and ended up discussing inelastic PED in the 10 marker!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending