The Student Room Group

How did you narrow down your dissertation topic?

I'm studying a literature degree and I have two topics in mind that I am equally interested in. I really don't know how to choose between the two - they are both interesting for different purposes. I'd just like to know if anyone has any tips on how I can narrow down my choice between the two
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by peanutbuttercup
I'm studying a literature degree and I have two topics in mind that I am equally interested in. I really don't know how to choose between the two - they are both interesting for different purposes. I'd just like to know if anyone has any tips on how I can narrow down my choice between the two
Thanks

Are the two topics linked in any way? Maybe you can integrate them into one topic. Allowing you to talk about them both in some detail. That I'm sure is the simplest method to narrowing down your choice. My only other suggestion is to flip a coin and choose it that way. Actually, I would conduct a public poll on here and see what people would choose. Also ask them to list the disadvantages and advantages of the topic. Ideally, students undergoing a literature degree, as I don't imagine many people outside of the subject area would understand much.

Hope it helped slightly :h:
Talk to your supervisor and see what they have to say. They'll help you to either integrate the two topics as suggested above, pick between the two or narrow down what you choose to study to make it appropriate for a dissertation.
I'd flip a coin

Quick Reply

Latest