The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

What Programming language do they use in Computer Science?

Hello,

Does anyone know if they teach in Python?

I don't mean do they teach you that language. I mean in lectures, what language do they tend to use for demonstration and such?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by ghosteh
Hello,

Does anyone know if they teach in Python?

I don't mean do they teach you that language. I mean in lectures, what language do they tend to use for demonstration and such?

Thank you :smile:

C++ and C
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by Epitype
C++ and C

Thank you for the quick response. Are you taking CS at Shef?
Reply 3
Original post by ghosteh
Thank you for the quick response. Are you taking CS at Shef?

Nope, I'm a AS student who is a Computer Science hopeful at either King's College London or QMUL. At the KCL Informatics Day, the lecturers said that the students tend to learn Python in their first year, followed by C++ and C in their second and maybe third.
In their third, the students can pick what they want to research about.
Reply 4
summary.png

Here's a summary I got on the open day.
Reply 5
I study a software heavy engineering course at UoS, with some modules in CS. I personally do a lot of work in C/C++ though that is from my engineering dept. side of things.

The main language is CS dept is Java. All the modules where they apply skills utilize this (e.g. testing & verification / 3D graphics modules). They do teach Python, if that is something of specific interest to you.

But IMHO, you only need to be taught one programming language. The rest are the same with a few funky features / different syntax.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Yeah, a good programmer can code in a new language pretty much from cold.

But mmmm, lambda calculus :coma:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending