The Student Room Group

Unsure about options?

I am almost certain that I would like to do something concerning science or technology in the future. I'm probably equally good in every science subject, however I don't really like chemistry but I really enjoy Biology and Physics. I know that two A levels I definately will do are Maths and French (I find both of them really enjoyable and easy), however I'm unsure about sciences. Apparently Physics and Biology don't make a good combination, and I should consider swapping out one of those with Chemistry. I'm not really sure if I want to do chemistry though, so I'm debating between a few combinations (I have the choice between doing 3 or 4 subjects):

Maths
French
Physics

or

Maths
French
Biology
Physics

or

Maths
French
Physics
Chemistry

or

Maths
French
Biology
Chemistry
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Vindaloovians
I am almost certain that I would like to do something concerning science or technology in the future. I'm probably equally good in every science subject, however I don't really like chemistry but I really enjoy Biology and Physics. I know that two A levels I definately will do are Maths and French (I find both of them really enjoyable and easy), however I'm unsure about sciences. Apparently Physics and Biology don't make a good combination, and I should consider swapping out one of those with Chemistry. I'm not really sure if I want to do chemistry though, so I'm debating between a few combinations (I have the choice between doing 3 or 4 subjects):

Maths
French
Physics

or

Maths
French
Biology
Physics

or

Maths
French
Physics
Chemistry

or

Maths
French
Biology
Chemistry

If you believe you can handle four I would probably do four but really this depends on what you want to do in the future, Chemistry physics and maths work well but only if you want to do certain degrees.

Really we need to know what you want to do before we can help and if you don't know i'd do what you enjoy most. (Chemistry will only be required for degrees based on chemistry)
Original post by Dowel
If you believe you can handle four I would probably do four but really this depends on what you want to do in the future, Chemistry physics and maths work well but only if you want to do certain degrees.

Really we need to know what you want to do before we can help and if you don't know i'd do what you enjoy most. (Chemistry will only be required for degrees based on chemistry)

I'm thinking possibly physics or engineering, however I'd quit elike to work in a brewery. I'm predicted As and A* at GCSE
I'm thinking possibly physics or engineering, however I'd quit elike to work in a brewery. I'm predicted As and A* at GCSE

I know enjineering doesn't require chemistry so you should be ok with that. Don't do chemistry if you don't like it, just because other people say you should do it. Yes, lots of people do the physics, chemistry and maths combination but I also know people doing physics, maths and bio.

Also, chemistry is hell on earth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

If you don't want to do straight chemistry, chemical engineering or materials science or medicine at degree level then dropping chemistry will be completely fine. For any physics based engineering chemistry is not required and if you do well in your A levels you will have no trouble getting into a good engineering degree.

Do what you enjoy above all else because if you don't like chemistry now you probably won't like it in the future.
Original post by Dowel
If you don't want to do straight chemistry, chemical engineering or materials science or medicine at degree level then dropping chemistry will be completely fine. For any physics based engineering chemistry is not required and if you do well in your A levels you will have no trouble getting into a good engineering degree.

Do what you enjoy above all else because if you don't like chemistry now you probably won't like it in the future.

The extra free time to study with three A levels appeals to me, but I feel that I'll be putting myself at a disadvantage by not doing 4...
Reply 6
The extra free time to study with three A levels appeals to me, but I feel that I'll be putting myself at a disadvantage by not doing 4...

Well universities will like a 4th a level but it doesn't guarantee a place in a degree as they only really ask for three. So while it helps it doesn't really put you above that many people, if you did lots of other outside of school activities that would put you about as high up as a 4th a level.
Original post by Dowel
Well universities will like a 4th a level but it doesn't guarantee a place in a degree as they only really ask for three. So while it helps it doesn't really put you above that many people, if you did lots of other outside of school activities that would put you about as high up as a 4th a level.

Do you think that an EPQ would be looked on favourably?

Yes it is - only about 30,000 students do it nationally and it shows a whole host of skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

EPQ is looked at super favourably, some universities accept people a grade lower than what they are looking for if they have done it and with the others it will hold a lot of weight in terms of how they look at you.
I think all your combinations look good. If you're an A/A* student, four A levels should be fine.

Only drop chemistry if you're sure it won't be useful for any degree you might want to do. Good advice here: http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/

Quick Reply

Latest