The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it is ridiculous, imo. Instead of upping the fees, why can't they bring back the caps on the amount of students universities can accept?
Not against the concept in the slightest. Higher education funding has to come from somewhere so it's probably for the best if it's seen that graduates are taking that burden. Try telling that to self-entitled students though.
Don't agree with the corporate for-profit universities though, but hey ho if there's a demand...
Disgusting. Thats the Tories for you though, not surprising in the least.
Reply 4
Original post by pol pot noodles
Not against the concept in the slightest. Higher education funding has to come from somewhere so it's probably for the best if it's seen that graduates are taking that burden. Try telling that to self-entitled students though.
Don't agree with the corporate for-profit universities though, but hey ho if there's a demand...

I tend to agree, provided that the money is truly being spent on raising education standards. I mean at the end of the day it's called further education and we choose to do it for our own personal gain so I guess it's fair that we pay for it ourselves.
I disagree with this, but I ALSO disagree with people who say that "Education in universities should be totally free".

I mean, that thing about businesses opening universities- that's just plain scare-mongering, but I think there has got to be a reduction.

£9000 is too much as it is. Maybe £9000 for a degree I could tolerate.

But either way, I should be revising for my GCSEs.

Because you know...soon it will be "You must have 12 A* at GCSE to attend London Met for a degree in Furniture.".
What a surprise, the Tories being bad Tories. Solution: go back to the old days where all the polytechnics are called polytechnics again and only the proper universities are called universities. Cap student numbers and actually have the state able to subsidise heavily.
Reply 7
I don't agree with this for a number of reasons, but I'm not shocked it is happening. I'd have liked to have seen some more information about funding for second degrees in STEM fields released as I thought that was a good policy, and that this would be a sensible time to do so. Perhaps they are abandoning the idea which would be a shame.
Original post by TeenPolyglot
Because you know...soon it will be "You must have 12 A* at GCSE to attend London Met for a degree in Furniture.".

This made me laugh so much

Anyway I think uncapping it is pretty unfair. And if you don't pay it back after a certain amount of years it gets wiped so the more debt people have, the more likely it is that they will never pay it back. The government shoot themselves in the foot then because they'll have to pay the rest of my debt off when I can't afford £8000000 after my degree :tongue:
Original post by Jammy Duel
What a surprise, the Tories being bad Tories. Solution: go back to the old days where all the polytechnics are called polytechnics again and only the proper universities are called universities. Cap student numbers and actually have the state able to subsidise heavily.

Sounds good to me.

Then we may have a system whereby you have to show at least a reasonable amount of academic ability to get into university. Instead we have a funding system where many able students doing economically useful degrees will likely pay back far more than they borrowed. While at the other end of the spectrum, students with more limited earnings potential will barely pay back anything. I wish the Conservatives would drop their prizes for all culture and stop subsidising mediocrity.
Original post by Quantex
Sounds good to me.

Then we may have a system whereby you have to show at least a reasonable amount of academic ability to get into university.

But that means having to tell all the precious little dears that they're not good enough... How could they possibly cope?
Original post by TeenPolyglot
I disagree with this, but I ALSO disagree with people who say that "Education in universities should be totally free".

I mean, that thing about businesses opening universities- that's just plain scare-mongering, but I think there has got to be a reduction.

£9000 is too much as it is. Maybe £9000 for a degree I could tolerate.

But either way, I should be revising for my GCSEs.

what's wrong with wanting to get an education without having to pay for it?

You know, some of us aren't so loaded that we could easily splash out on degrees.

I have a friend who's absolutely desperate to go to university but she worries she can't because she might not be able to afford it.

And what, you like the fact that the poorer people would be excluded from unis? Even if they have the sheer intelligence to be able to go to one?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pol pot noodles

I sort of agree. But the current student financing arrangements are ridiculous. The huge amount of debt incurred vs. the relative amount that will be paid back means that in reality, it is still very much state a funded enterprise. Only the government have been very clever to have privatised it all. My fear is the day the loans are sold off and the terms and conditions suddenly change radically.
"How dare poor people rub shoulders with our diddums at university!"

Hate the Tories with a passion.
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_

In what other walk of life do you get something for nothing?
Student entitlement rears its ugly head. Again. Tuition fees should be set according to the course you undertake rather than a blanket 9k+ fee. Students should also be able to see a breakdown of what that money goes towards. I wonder how much the tax payer contributes towards my degree...Seeing as though I probably won't 'use it'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
It wouldn't be the worst thing if it could actually be justified. Even the 9k we're paying at the moment is not justified (in regards to actual teaching, it's no better than when students paid a lot less)
Reply 17
Original post by Jammy Duel

They should make fees repayable to universities instead of the government. All the worthless degrees for which students don't repay the cost will rapidly disappear. Currently, universities are encouraged to increase their enrollment; their calculus is simple: enrollment*£9,000.
(edited 7 years ago)

You know, some of us aren't so loaded that we could easily splash out on degrees.

I have a friend who's absolutely desperate to go to university but she worries she can't because she might not be able to afford it.

And what, you like the fact that the poorer people would be excluded from unis? Even if they have the sheer intelligence to be able to go to one?

So should people also pay for your friends mortgage because they're desperate
Original post by TheStudent19
This made me laugh so much

Anyway I think uncapping it is pretty unfair. And if you don't pay it back after a certain amount of years it gets wiped so the more debt people have, the more likely it is that they will never pay it back. The government shoot themselves in the foot then because they'll have to pay the rest of my debt off when I can't afford £8000000 after my degree :tongue:

I do have to agree with you in this wholly; we're, on average, the country with the highest tuition fees. It's getting purely ridiculous. £9000 is way too much for anyone to even happily consider, even the rich Bourgeois, who exploit us proletariat lesser beings, if you take a Marxist point of view :tongue: But on a serious note, you have got an extremely reasonable point. If my university tuition becomes too high, I will NOT in any way succumb to the governmental ideals. Then again...I'll be the one going to university. To study French...and Linguistics. *shies away from all sciences students*

But they wouldn't. I simply said that I don't agree with the ideology that "university should be free". Sure, it should be accessible to everyone, but that's the basis of a student loan. I, myself, have been brought up in a family that went through benefits, and I got a scholarship into a private school. In no way am I saying I'm a special cookie, but I'm just pointing out that it should be simply accessible to all, not free.

Quick Reply

Latest