The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm thinking about applying to do Natural Science (Biological). The AS subjects I take are Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Geography.
1- Does the lack of AS/A2 Maths significantly affect my chances?
2- What subject combinations am I best having for A2 to make an as strong as possible application: Biology, Chemistry and Physics or Biology, Chemistry and Geography or all four?
3- Should I be considering AS Maths next year?
Thanks
Considering to apply for mathematics(worth a try) and was just wondering what STEP papers we are required to take or does it change depending on the offer?
Reply 82
Original post by alfmeister
considering to apply for mathematics(worth a try) and was just wondering what step papers we are required to take or does it change depending on the offer?

Usually 1,1 in STEP II and III
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Yes, this should be fine. You'd get a conditional offer as normal as conditions have to be met by 31st August. Remember to mention on your application that you will be taking Chemistry later. If you're self-teaching or having teaching problems with the A level Chemistry you can mention this on the SAQ or an ECF.

And... regarding the pre-interview written assessment for Natural Sciences, as I live in Argentina where would I take it? And when, as here we finish school on the last days of November (or maybe December)? Also as I've said before, I will take the A Level Chemistry exam next year on May, so for the assessment I would only know Biology and Mathematics content to and when reading I found that it's required for us to answer two Sciences. So... do I take the assessment after May (I don't think so) or only the Biology and Maths parts or what other options are available (or not)?
Reply 84
Hello!

Just a quick question...
How competitive is the music course? How many people are accepted each year?

Thanks
Reply 85
Original post by Ayooo
Hello!

Just a quick question...

Thanks

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for answering my previous inquiry. I have another quick question (sorry!):

How are written work submissions assessed or used, particularly for History? Elsewhere on TSR I've read that essays should be around 2,000 words or else interviewers might not read past that point. This gives me to a bit of a problem: my History teacher encourages students to avoid word count parameters by putting extra text in footnotes, to the point where notes are sometimes longer than the body of the essay. I feel like this is cheating the system as the final work would be nearly double what it should be, and I'm afraid it will reflect badly on me if I submit a written work with excessive explanatory footnotes with my application next year. Can you offer any guidance?

Many thanks again for your answers and your commitment to these threads!
Hello! I hope I'm not too late, as I'd like to ask a question about maths admissions.
I should be getting a decent result in the 7 maths modules I'm doing at AS (95+ ums probably because of some silly errors, which undoubtedly will arise :frown:). I'm on track to get an A in physics (90 ums ish?) but I'm not too good at chemistry (I should hopefully get an A, but I may get a B). So, worst case scenario (with a reasonable probability of occurring) my grades could look something like:
Maths/Further Maths : 95
Physics : 85
Chemistry : 75
Would I stand a chance of getting interviewed?
Reply 88
Original post by Heisenberg'sCat

Yes.
Original post by Thomb
What in your own words is it that makes Peterhouse special? :smile:

Fun question! I think any 'Petrean' you asked would give a different answer, but for me what makes Peterhouse special is the Deer Park*. It's in the back of College, so tourists tend not to find it, but it's a beautiful expanse of grass where you can sit and eat lunch, hang out with friends, read a book or chuck a ball about. Since we have the smallest student body in Cambridge there's always plenty of space and you always spot someone you know. Being a small College also means that we can give lots of individual attention to each of our students - both academically and pastorally - so students quickly start to feel at home when they arrive.

*disclaimer: there haven't been any actual deer in the deer park since the 1930s.
Original post by TiernanW
Hello! I have a few questions. :smile:

Firstly, when admissions tutors look at the pass rates of schools, is it the pass rate of "5 GCSEs including English and Maths" or "Any 5 GCSEs"? There is about a 25% difference in these statistics for my old school that I did my GCSEs in. Also are you more concerned with a how a student performed compared to their peers or the pass rate of the school?

We actually look more closely at your school's average capped GCSE score more than the 'pass rate'. It's worth bearing in mind, though, that we're much more interested in your most recent academic progress, as GCSEs can onlt tell us so much.

Secondly, at my school's prize night I was lucky enough to be awarded Top GCSE 2015, and top in 4 individual subjects (Maths, Statistics, LLW and IT). Are these the kind of things that would make a difference to an admissions tutor or do they fall into the bottom 25% of the personal statement? I'm also taking 5 subjects this year, but I am aware you only expect 3. One of the subjects is self-taught (Further Maths); would this be something a tutor would be interested in hearing about in a statement?

These things actually belong in your teachers reference. Your teachers should do the showing off, you should do the explaining what interests you about your subject and how you've pursued that interest.

Also, the Distinction* is from a BTEC Extended Certificate in IT. My old school's subject range was very small and I didn't have the option to take the GCSE in IT. What way do you look on BTEC qualifications at GCSE level, if I was applying for Computer Science? Would this be looked at as equivalent to an A* in GCSE IT?

The Computer Science course at Cambridge is actually very maths heavy, so we'd be looking more closely at your performance in Maths than in IT.

Sorry for the paragraphs.

No problem! Hope the answes are helpful.
Original post by student2678
I'm thinking about applying to do Natural Science (Biological). The AS subjects I take are Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Geography.
1- Does the lack of AS/A2 Maths significantly affect my chances?
2- What subject combinations am I best having for A2 to make an as strong as possible application: Biology, Chemistry and Physics or Biology, Chemistry and Geography or all four?
3- Should I be considering AS Maths next year?
Thanks

Hiya!
1- No, lots of people apply successfully without Maths.
2- Definitely no need to take all four - Physics is more helpful preparation than Geography.
3- No need.
Hope this is helpful :smile:
Original post by alfmeister
Considering to apply for mathematics(worth a try) and was just wondering what STEP papers we are required to take or does it change depending on the offer?

It can vary depending on a number of factors, but the typical offer is 1,1 in STEP II & III
Hi,

I'm a prospective student applying for medicine this year. I'm actually an international student and I do not have GCSEs (I was under the integrated program in Singapore) and I'm currently studying my a levels in the uk. Will it be advisable for me to sit the AS exams to give you a clearer indication of my academic aptitude? Also, if I choose to sit 3 exams out of my 4AS subjects, will it be considered less advantageous to me? Or does it not matter? Thank you!
Original post by RJAV
And... regarding the pre-interview written assessment for Natural Sciences, as I live in Argentina where would I take it? And when, as here we finish school on the last days of November (or maybe December)? Also as I've said before, I will take the A Level Chemistry exam next year on May, so for the assessment I would only know Biology and Mathematics content to and when reading I found that it's required for us to answer two Sciences. So... do I take the assessment after May (I don't think so) or only the Biology and Maths parts or what other options are available (or not)?

You would take the test on 2nd November at an authorised test centre, along with the rest of the applicants in that year. As long as you make it clear from your application that you haven't started studying Chemistry yet then your admissions panel can take that into account when looking at your test scores.
Original post by Ayooo
Hello!

Just a quick question...

Thanks

In recent years Cambridge has received about 140 applicants for about 60 places.
Original post by pompilius
Thanks for answering my previous inquiry. I have another quick question (sorry!):

How are written work submissions assessed or used, particularly for History? Elsewhere on TSR I've read that essays should be around 2,000 words or else interviewers might not read past that point. This gives me to a bit of a problem: my History teacher encourages students to avoid word count parameters by putting extra text in footnotes, to the point where notes are sometimes longer than the body of the essay. I feel like this is cheating the system as the final work would be nearly double what it should be, and I'm afraid it will reflect badly on me if I submit a written work with excessive explanatory footnotes with my application next year. Can you offer any guidance?

Many thanks again for your answers and your commitment to these threads!

Usually, written work submissions are used as stimulus for discussion during an interview. There is no word count for them, but 2000 words is a good guideline, for the reasons you've already heard. Remember you shouldn't be writing anything specially for Cambridge (unless specifically asked) but should send something that (a) you would be happy to discuss at an interview and (b) that you think is a good representation of the level you are currently at with your work. Excessively long footnotes won't disadvantage your application, but they might not get read! If your essay is too long I would suggest sending a shorter section of it, with a view to discussing it further at interview (but check with the Admissions Office of the College you apply to first).
Original post by Heisenberg'sCat
Hello! I hope I'm not too late, as I'd like to ask a question about maths admissions.
I should be getting a decent result in the 7 maths modules I'm doing at AS (95+ ums probably because of some silly errors, which undoubtedly will arise :frown:). I'm on track to get an A in physics (90 ums ish?) but I'm not too good at chemistry (I should hopefully get an A, but I may get a B). So, worst case scenario (with a reasonable probability of occurring) my grades could look something like:
Maths/Further Maths : 95
Physics : 85
Chemistry : 75

For Maths applicants, the first priority is a strong performance in Maths, closely followed by a strong performance in Physics. You look to be on target for A*A*A (the typical offer for Maths applicants) in these subjects, so you would have a good chance of getting an interview with these scores. Remember you'd also have to take the STEP if you got an offer.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
For Maths applicants, the first priority is a strong performance in Maths, closely followed by a strong performance in Physics. You look to be on target for A*A*A (the typical offer for Maths applicants) in these subjects, so you would have a good chance of getting an interview with these scores. Remember you'd also have to take the STEP if you got an offer.

Thanks! I'm somewhat confident about being able to achieve A*A*A next year, and I play to begin work towards STEP over summer (even if I don't get a Cambridge offer I'll hopefully get one from Warwick, and besides, more maths is more fun!).
Original post by rosemondtan
Hi,

I'm a prospective student applying for medicine this year. I'm actually an international student and I do not have GCSEs (I was under the integrated program in Singapore) and I'm currently studying my a levels in the uk. Will it be advisable for me to sit the AS exams to give you a clearer indication of my academic aptitude? Also, if I choose to sit 3 exams out of my 4AS subjects, will it be considered less advantageous to me? Or does it not matter? Thank you!

If it's your school's policy not to sit AS, then you don't need to either. It will be important that you have a strong reference - other thant that, you can use the BMAT to show us what you're capable of!

Latest