The Student Room Group

This is how teachers should teach!

They should really adapt the ideas of punk learning:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1781351120/sr=8-1/qid=1463167350/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1463167350&sr=8-1

The author of this book, taught me in back in Y8 & the lessons were great, I still remember the tasks today.

We had to investigate a question and we got full freedom of the classroom to produce our work, We could ask for experiments that we found would work in investigating our work to be set up and go on computers to gain our own knowledge.

This was really awesome and I still remember researching the question I got today just because we had freedom to research what we wanted as part of our learning.

So if you got a real boring teacher i would recommend them this book. If the inspectors see that students are engaging in lessons and not just working out of worksheets they will be impressed from student independence.

This sums up what I just said from the teacher who taught me back in Y8 showing how he structured out our classes:

https://taitcoles.wordpress.com/2012/11/24/punk-learning-a-molotov-cocktail-of-enquiry/
Reply 1
Yeah, all right!
Well I'm glad you had some great lessons and I don't doubt this particular teacher can make it work with the intake he has at his school and the understanding of a head teacher who'll let him depart from the Ofsted cookie cutter plan.
I'm not sure how universally applicable all these ideas are going to be tho...

interestingly...

For example, my students wanted the five minute seminars and the voting of the best Punk Learners of the lesson.

might get a few hackles up, how did that work out? was it always the same few people winning and if so how can a teacher stop it being demotivating to others in the class?
Reply 3
Original post by Joinedup
Well I'm glad you had some great lessons and I don't doubt this particular teacher can make it work with the intake he has at his school and the understanding of a head teacher who'll let him depart from the Ofsted cookie cutter plan.
I'm not sure how universally applicable all these ideas are going to be tho...

interestingly...

might get a few hackles up, how did that work out? was it always the same few people winning and if so how can a teacher stop it being demotivating to others in the class?

We never had the incident of it been the same pair twice in a row, but the teacher could have a few categories like:
Most improved
Hardest Working
etc.

To make it so there is more variety of who is been chosen so it does not become biased towards 1 group.
Reply 4
Great with a (very) nice class in a nice school with supportive management. And even then only very occasionally.
Reply 5
Original post by offhegoes
Great with a (very) nice class in a nice school with supportive management. And even then only very occasionally.

One of my teachers said recently that only Primary Schools have to consult headteachers on how they plan to carry out there lessons,

I'd assume this is true as this is what a teacher said, If this is the case then teachers in Secondary Schools should really open up on how they teach.
Reply 6
Original post by 2016_GCSE
One of my teachers said recently that only Primary Schools have to consult headteachers on how they plan to carry out there lessons,

I'd assume this is true as this is what a teacher said, If this is the case then teachers in Secondary Schools should really open up on how they teach.

Secondary schools have to follow a curriculum just like everyone else. There is always scope for flexibility, within certain bounds. Secondary school teachers are constrained by pupil numbers, pupil behaviour, the pace of the courses and whether or not management would approve.

I'm sure it is possible in some classes/schools like I said, but not many at all.
Nice stuff,all right!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending