The Student Room Group

So I need to apply for a Passport

I need to apply for a passport. I've had a child passport before (by before I mean 10+ years ago) that has since expired. In the years since it expired the passport has been misplaced somewhere and I have been unable to find it.
I now need to apply for an adult passport (I am 19, I had my passport from when I was around 5-6). My question is, when I go to the post office to get the forms, should I get a Lost Passport Form and explain the situation and send it with a Renewal application for an adult passport, or do I need to go through the whole interview process in order to obtain a new passport?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Original post by LondonToReno
I need to apply for a passport. I've had a child passport before (by before I mean 10+ years ago) that has since expired. In the years since it expired the passport has been misplaced somewhere and I have been unable to find it.
I now need to apply for an adult passport (I am 19, I had my passport from when I was around 5-6). My question is, when I go to the post office to get the forms, should I get a Lost Passport Form and explain the situation and send it with a Renewal application for an adult passport, or do I need to go through the whole interview process in order to obtain a new passport?

Go for the lost passport option to be safe, or they'll expect you to send your old passport back. I applied for a new passport (also my first adult passport) recently and had to send my old passport back to them.

Edit: you might be able to do all this online which would save trips to the post office.
Reply 2
Original post by carrotstar
Go for the lost passport option to be safe, or they'll expect you to send your old passport back. I applied for a new passport (also my first adult passport) recently and had to send my old passport back to them.

Edit: you might be able to do all this online which would save trips to the post office.

The thing is though, as I said I don't have my passport at hand due to its disappearance, and I'd rather go to the post office in order to oversee things first hand. Would the Passport Office understand my situation?
The thing is though, as I said I don't have my passport at hand due to its disappearance, and I'd rather go to the post office in order to oversee things first hand. Would the Passport Office understand my situation?

Yes, hence why I said you should declare your passport as lost. If you don't declare it as lost, you will have to return it, which obviously you can't do :tongue:
Call them up, they will advise you. For example I changed my name via deed poll and I wanted t know he procedure of informing the Passport office before I renew for my first adult passport. Depends on what they tell you.
Telephone: 0300 222 0000
From outside the UK: +44 (0)300 222 0000
They close at 8pm.
Goodluck!!
Reply 5
Original post by blahhitstof
Call them up, they will advise you. For example I changed my name via deed poll and I wanted t know he procedure of informing the Passport office before I renew for my first adult passport. Depends on what they tell you.
Telephone: 0300 222 0000
From outside the UK: +44 (0)300 222 0000
They close at 8pm.
Goodluck!!

Thanks for the assistance. I'll do this as soon as possible.
Reply 6
Yeah make sure you state that you have lost your passport, even if your passport has previously been expired. They will request your old passport and they will "snip" the corners off for security measures. The procedure will probably take longer but its better to be safe that way.
Reply 7

Yes. Use the Check & Send is a £10 extra but they go through it all so you don't end up getting it returned witj errors

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending