The Student Room Group

I have synesthesia - AMA

I was born with auditory-tactile synesthesia and hearing-motion synesthesia. If you have any questions, then I will be happy to answer them. :smile:
How much of a nuisance is it or are you happy about it?
Reply 2
Original post by BlueIsTheNewRed
Have you always had them? And how much of a nuisance is it or are you happy about it?

Hi there, and I've had it since I was born. It wasn't a nuisance, but people thought I was weird that I could hear motion. I didn't know myself at first that this was an actual thing. I thought everyone had it.
What are these 2 conditions and how do they affect you in everyday life?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there, and I've had it since I was born. It wasn't a nuisance, but people thought I was weird that I could hear motion. I didn't know myself at first that this was an actual thing. I thought everyone had it.

When and how did you find out? And has it affected you at school/work (in terms of learning and social life)?
Reply 5
Original post by Infamous*
What are these 2 conditions and how do they affect you in everyday life?

Auditory-tactile synesthesia is basically when certain sounds make me feel a tingle without actually being touched. E.g. When I hear a certain sound, a tingle happens in a certain part of the body. This has been compared to ASMR. I'm not sure how else to explain it.

Hearing-motion synesthesia is basically self explanatory; I can hear motions. This is difficult to explain, but when I see something move, I can hear it, if that makes sense.
Here is a video explaining it; the guy is me in this case
[video="youtube;stwzvpnnlqA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stwzvpnnlqA[/video]
Reply 6
Original post by BlueIsTheNewRed
When and how did you find out? And has it affected you at school/work (in terms of learning and social life)?

I found out about auditory-tactile synesthesia from my doctors, and recently discovered I had hearing-motion synesthesia. I did not know hearing-motion synesthesia was an actual thing, and I kept thinking that everyone hears motion. It hasn't affected my school life. Only a few times I have said something like "I like the sound the gif is making" and my friends said that it's a silent gif/not making any sound.
Reply 7
Wait but then is what you hear in the gif exactly the same as in the original clip with sound?
Reply 8
Original post by z33
Wait but then is what you hear in the gif exactly the same as in the original clip with sound?

This video explains it:

and no, like if I saw a gif such as this (or see any type of motion), I can hear it

Here is a video where I can clearly hear the motion:
Reply 9

Here is a video where I can clearly hear the motion:

That... is so cool *___*
Congrats on your superpower :biggrin:
Original post by z33
That... is so cool *___*
Congrats on your superpower :biggrin:

Lol thanks! :biggrin:
I find it weird though telling people about it. "I can.. hear motions".
Other person: "wut".
I'd rather not people knowing who I am here hence why I'm on anonymous, don't want people knowing I have synesthesia. :colonhash:
Reply 11
I'd rather not people knowing who I am here hence why I'm on anonymous, don't want people knowing I have synesthesia. :colonhash:

np!
ahaha yeah I'm sure it's kinda strange but people get used to it real quick :3 though a LOT of questions would be asked x_x
That's so cool tho! Flaunt it gurrrrrrrrrl or guyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy or whateverrrrrrrrr *__*

I think it's really cool!
I watched a Hank Green video about it once. Very informative.

Apparently some people can see numbers and hear colours. Pretty facisnating stuff!
Original post by z33
np!
ahaha yeah I'm sure it's kinda strange but people get used to it real quick :3 though a LOT of questions would be asked x_x
That's so cool tho! Flaunt it gurrrrrrrrrl or guyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy or whateverrrrrrrrr *__*

Lmaoo trust me.
Yes exactly, I don't want to be known as the user with synesthesia. :rofl:
Thanks again. :biggrin:
Original post by StrawbAri
I think it's really cool!
I watched a Hank Green video about it once. Very informative.

Apparently some people can see numbers and hear colours. Pretty facisnating stuff!

I haven't seen his video about it, I shall though.

Yes that's true! In my case, my touch/sight/sound senses are mixed.
Reply 15

why not? It's so cool. It's like a superpower. I have synaesthesia but it's so different to yours. I have associative synaesthesia in 2 forms: grapheme-colour and auditory-colour, but ngl watching those gifs I can imagine exactly how they sound, I just can't hear them. It seems like it's already an instinct in my mind and I don't have to think about it so maybe I have an associative version of what you've got. The only way to know for sure is with an fMRI scan but I cba with that. I never really thought about what I imagined silent movements to sound like but looking back I've always imagined it, and it's the same story with all the colours I have for letters, words, numbers, days, months and shapes; I just can't actually hear the sounds or see the colours. I suppose if I do have some synaesthesia similar to yours that just doesn't quite reach my auditory nerves maybe we're not so different after all, but I don't have auditory-tactile, that's for sure. What does Bohemian Rhapsody feel like?
Reply 16
can u ever hear still pictures if they look like freeze frames of movement?

Quick Reply

Latest