The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sfaraj
so apparently this one guy represents the entire muslims majority, funny isn't it. in chapel hill shooting, the one american guy definitely does not speak for the entire american islamaphobic community. i am muslims and am friendly towards homosexuals who are my friends, never have i spoken in a homophobic manner, so you lot need to stop saying this guy is saying what we all think

are you saying islam doesn't have a problem with people being openly gay and in relationships?
Original post by HanSoloLuck
A man was attacked outside a bar in Brighton with a knuckle duster and savagely beaten by a man using homophobic language and 'shouting all this Muslim stuff' as one witness stated. Going on to say 'no one wants to hear that'

In true PC fashion, the police are not aware of any religious motivation at this point. So it's conjecture for me to say the motivation was homophobia, but it's also blatantly obvious why this happened.

What I am curious about is, did nobody want to hear the attacker preach at the scene, or, does nobody handling the situation want to hear that the attacker was 'shouting all this Muslim stuff'. I wouldn't be surprised in either case.

"“A 21-year-old man from London was arrested on suspicion of assault and GBH with intent. He has been bailed until (Monday) 13 June….A friend of the victim, Brian Markintosh, said that Mr Woods was 6ft 6in tall but said: “He’s such a gentle giant. He’s the kindest person you could imagine.“This geezer broke his jaw with a knuckleduster. He was filming the young gay guys.“And when he was attacking him he was shouting all this Muslim stuff but no one wants to hear that.”Sussex Police said that it was not aware of any racial or religious element to the assault… ".
http://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2016/05/11/man-arrested-after-gay-bashing-attack-on-brighton-seafront/

My cousin was beaten up in Brighton for being 'gay'. In actual fact, he's not, he has a wife, but he's from Essex and looked like he was to them. But don't you dare oppose this as it's just culture.
Original post by BaconandSauce
are you saying islam doesn't have a problem with people being openly gay and in relationships?

just as any other religion Islam disagrees with gays, but it doesnt say pick a fight with them. myself and many other muslims i know see homosexuality as something we should not interfere with, its up to them what they want to do.

my classmates are openly gay, i went camping with an openly gay person who talked to us about her relationship.

anything else?
Original post by sfaraj
just as any other religion Islam disagrees with gays, but it doesnt say pick a fight with them. myself and many other muslims i know see homosexuality as something we should not interfere with, its up to them what they want to do.

my classmates are openly gay, i went camping with an openly gay person who talked to us about her relationship.

anything else?

SO Islam does disagree with homosexuality

But you ignore this and you manage to suffer from homophobia despite what your faith teaches (this is because you are going against your faith which is OK and to be expected as you are also taught to be tolerant despite what your faith says as per the norm in the west)

But as we know you can't judge all of the faith because of the actions of a few
Original post by Tawheed
Islam does not condone such actions. Yes, we believe homosexuality is a sin, but islamically

Here we go, the usual mealy-mouthed excuses.

By preaching against a minority group in hysterical language as Muslims are wont to do, you put ideas into the minds of people where a lunatic minority is bound to take it further than words.

There is always a minority within any group who will take it further, who will go all the way to violence. And your words incite them. So yes, you are responsible; by preaching a pathetic, backward, barbaric mindset you create the conditions that lead to violence.
Original post by Tawheed
I'm a muslim here. In Islam, we can and are allowed to marry Jews.

You're allowed to marry Jews as long as they convert
Original post by Olie
Islam certainly has it's issues, no doubt about that, its attitudes towards homosexuality being a prominent issue, but as already said, there is nothing in Islam that condones attacking innocent people, gay or not.

There's nothing in Islam that condones attacking innocent people? What planet are you on? Have you not heard of the Banu Qurayza? Mohammed slaughtered every male member of that Jewish tribe, from the 14 year old boys to the 70 year old men. And you claim nothing in Islam could be construed to support violence? That's wishful thinking par excellence.

And even where people aren't expressly saying, "Go out and attack gay people", if you propound a mindset that depicts all gay people as evil sinners then it is completely predictable that some of the people listening to that message will construe that to mean that violence is acceptable. There is a demonstrable link between preachers and imams spreading anti-gay rhetoric, and the occurrence of anti-gay attacks.

The existence of that link, the fact that violence occurring is the predictable result of those words, mean that they are responsible for what happens and the Muslims who support a worldview that despises gay people are just as responsible when it curdles into violence
Reply 87
Original post by Tawheed
I'm a muslim here. In Islam, we can and are allowed to marry Jews.

Being anti-semitic in the sense you are racist against Jews as people is absolutely forbidden.

Muslim men only, as the sexist Islamic laws would make it almost impossible for a Christian or Jewish woman to practise her religion freely once married to a Muslamic Ray Gun.

Also, why are Muslim women not allowed to marry men of Christian or Jewish faith?

The law was passed by Mo so that Muzzies could marry female Jews/Christians captured in wars and battles!! DISGUSTING
Attacking the gays is not condoned in Islam and this guy was not acting in self defence so I don't see how this is all anti-Muslim now. Have EDL homophobes never attacked gays before?
Really sad poor guy :frown:
Original post by digistar_100
Attacking the gays is not condoned in Islam and this guy was not acting in self defence so I don't see how this is all anti-Muslim now. Have EDL homophobes never attacked gays before?

are you sure you want to compare muslims with the EDL?

'the gays' :s-smilie:
Original post by BaconandSauce
are you sure you want to compare muslims with the EDL?

'the gays' :s-smilie:

If a non-muslim did this, we wouldn't be about to go onto a 6 page discussion.

Well most people ostracise the EDL, should we do that to muslims too for the sake of equality?
Whats the point in posting this, trying to stir up some islamic hatred ffs....?
If a non-muslim did this, we wouldn't be about to go onto a 6 page discussion.

No we wouldn't because we could simply dismiss it as bigotry

You wouldn't get loads of 'bigots' on saying you can't judge all 'bigots' because of the actions of a few or things like 'I know my 'beliefs' are bigoted but we're not allowed to assault people and you can't judge us because someone who shares my bigoted beliefs did something wrong' ad infinitum
Original post by ikhan94
Whats the point in posting this, trying to stir up some islamic hatred ffs....?

It's news

This is a news forum

But yes people need to be warned of what 'faith' does to the mind of those with low IQ's who use violence as a natural response to seeing a gay person.
Original post by z33
It was an example oh my Gosh.
Idk when I imagine someone bashing someone's face in they would be screaming profanities like
"you ****ing piece of **** can you ****ing die out i hate you ****ing people you sons of bitches"
sound more likely? that could be said in Arabic too :wink: i was using... an... example

If the attack was religiously motivated and it's been established that he was shouting homophobic profanities in English already why would he shout them again in Arabic? It doesn't make any sense
Reply 97
wut... they said "Muslim stuff" so I imagine he was shouting them in Arabic... because "Muslim stuff" isn't English otherwise we'd know what he said
[QUOTE="HanSoloLuck;64828015"]A man was attacked outside a bar in Brighton with a knuckle duster and savagely beaten by a man using homophobic language and 'shouting all this Muslim stuff' as one witness stated. Going on to say 'no one wants to hear that'

In true PC fashion, the police are not aware of any religious motivation at this point. So it's conjecture for me to say the motivation was homophobia, but it's also blatantly obvious why this happened.

What I am curious about is, did nobody want to hear the attacker preach at the scene, or, does nobody handling the situation want to hear that the attacker was 'shouting all this Muslim stuff'. I wouldn't be surprised in either case.

"“A 21-year-old man from London was arrested on suspicion of assault and GBH with intent. He has been bailed until (Monday) 13 June….A friend of the victim, Brian Markintosh, said that Mr Woods was 6ft 6in tall but said: “He’s such a gentle giant. He’s the kindest person you could imagine.“This geezer broke his jaw with a knuckleduster. He was filming the young gay guys.“And when he was attacking him he was shouting all this Muslim stuff but no one wants to hear that.”Sussex Police said that it was not aware of any racial or religious element to the assault… ".
http://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2016/05/11/man-arrested-after-gay-bashing-attack-on-brighton-seafront/[/QUOTE]

Are Muslim's allowed in bars? I mean. They can't drink alcohol. So wtf was he even doing...
But reading what this guy did made me die a little on the inside. It's rather disgusting behaviour. Hating on someone because of their sexual orientation is utterly horrible. I should know, because I'm on the receiving end most of the time in school tbh.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by z33
wut... they said "Muslim stuff" so I imagine he was shouting them in Arabic... because "Muslim stuff" isn't English otherwise we'd know what he said

Not really, if someone said 'Allah Ackbar' or 'Mashallah' or 'assalyumalakum' (<- I don't know how to spell the last one sorry) I would still understand what it meant even though it's Arabic. ''Muslim stuff'' could have just meant '''glory be to Allah''

Until further details come to light on this case it's probably stupid to speculate anyway

Latest

Trending

Trending