The Student Room Group

AS-level Biology New Spec. Anyone struggling? Please help.

Hi, I'm doing Edexcel's AS-level Biology new 2015 spec, but am struggling a lot with the amount of content including the Maths side to things which adds up to 10% of the overall exam marks. I'm looking through the CGP "Essential Maths Skills for Biology" and have come across a page about Logarithms!!! Why is there so much Maths involved in this subject? I've already got enough formulas to remember for AS-level Maths but now Biology?! Anyone else struggling? Please give me advice and reassurance :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm doing the new spec too and am really struggling! I have been getting all Es and Us all year and I have no idea how to get at least a C to be able to get into uni.
Original post by Meghan26
I'm doing the new spec too and am really struggling! I have been getting all Es and Us all year and I have no idea how to get at least a C to be able to get into uni.

I know that feeling!! The very precise mark schemes of the exams don't help either :frown: Feel like I've wasted a year of my life tbh :puppyeyes:
Reply 3
Original post by Philip-flop
I know that feeling!! The very precise mark schemes of the exams don't help either :frown: Feel like I've wasted a year of my life tbh :puppyeyes:

Yeah I know! Like if you say 'light' instead of 'light intensity', you've lost a mark. It's so ridiculous and picky.
Yeah I know! Like if you say 'light' instead of 'light intensity', you've lost a mark. It's so ridiculous and picky.

Or low instead of lower :colonhash:
The logarithsm part is just pressing buttons on your calculator to work out pH. It's not complicated maths.

omg same! i do OCR exam board but its the same here too. It's soo detailed everything you have to know and on top of that if its something like a 1 mark question, before you only needed to say one thing but now you have to say like at least two or three things to get anything.
Wow, there are logs on the Edexcel spec? The hardest maths I've seen on the spec I'm doing (AQA) is percentage change...
I am hoping the actual paper will have a more forgiving mark scheme. I have just finished one of the specimen papers and feel very dishearten. I have revised very hard for these papers as i want to prove i have the ability to do medicine but looks like this new specification isn't going to allow that to happen. It is reassuring to know that i am not the only one who seems frustrated and concerned about the upcoming exam on Thursday.
Original post by sciencemad1999
I am hoping the actual paper will have a more forgiving mark scheme. I have just finished one of the specimen papers and feel very dishearten. I have revised very hard for these papers as i want to prove i have the ability to do medicine but looks like this new specification isn't going to allow that to happen. It is reassuring to know that i am not the only one who seems frustrated and concerned about the upcoming exam on Thursday.

I know exactly how you feel! I'm a mature student who had hope to study a STEM subject at University, but that's looking unlikely now :frown:
logarithms is not on the AS spec- i was freaking out too but if you go onto the specification document on the edexcel website and scroll down towards the bottom there is a list of all the maths skills, and the skills in bold (including logarithms) are ONLY to be tested for the full A-Level :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending