The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE BIOLOGY UNIT 1 Predictions!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aggressively
A six marker has not come up on the nervous system yet , I reckon they'll ask us about the reflex arc or something along those lines
I'm quite confused about the reflex arc. Is it just the stimulus -> receptor -> sensory neurone to relay neurone to motor neurone -> effector -> response? Or could you write a 6 marker on it for me as an idea as I would have no clue.
Here are some likely ones:
Aeseptic technique
Carbon cycle
Menstruation cycle
Genetic engineering

It's possible will get two six markers and I slightly suspect it.
Maybe have a look at some more obscure points on the spec just to prevent getting caught out by anything. Just know everything that could potentially be a six marker to a sufficient degree of detail.
Original post by alyxgower
I'm quite confused about the reflex arc. Is it just the stimulus -> receptor -> sensory neurone to relay neurone to motor neurone -> effector -> response? Or could you write a 6 marker on it for me as an idea as I would have no clue.

1. Stimulus -receptor
2. Sensory neurone
3. Synapse
4. Relay neurone CNS, spine or brain
5. Synapse
6. Motor neurone
7. Effector, muscle or gland and what happens
Reply 43
Id like anything as the 6 marker other than the nervous system :redface: ill just have to learn it then i guess
Reply 44
Original post by alyxgower
What can you write about a 6 marker for GM crops? There's not a lot in the revision guide, not as a 6 marker but I have a feeling that making insulin might come up, aswell as drug trials and the menstrual cycle (hopefully as that's so easy.)
Auxins definitely won't come up as a high mark, as that was the 2015 6 marker.
And if evolution is a 6 marker do you just compare Darwin and Lamarck or what? Thank you :smile:

Enzymes are used to cut the useful gene out of the ___ chromosome and spliced into the ____ chromosome. This means that the _____ will now display the useful characteristic.

The advantages are that the farmer can obtain a greater yield and it is less effort and therefore obtain more money. It also reduces the need for harmful pesticides or herbicides

However the disadvantages include that the toxins could kill insects and reduce biodiversity and damage the food chains. They could also be harmful to humans. There is also worries that the transferred gene may spread into the wider population, developing resistant weeds etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
alot of people are predicting drug trials will be one..
if GM modification is a 6 marker what will be asked??? there isnt that much to say about it which is why its almost always a 3 marker
Can somebody give me a six mark question explanation of the carbon cycle?
Reply 47
Original post by s.mo
alot of people are predicting drug trials will be one..
if GM modification is a 6 marker what will be asked??? there isnt that much to say about it which is why its almost always a 3 marker

Original post by MBK14
Enzymes are used to cut the useful gene out of the ___ chromosome and spliced into the ____ chromosome. This means that the _____ will now display the useful characteristic.

The advantages are that the farmer can obtain a greater yield and it is less effort and therefore obtain more money. It also reduces the need for harmful pesticides or herbicides

However the disadvantages include that the toxins could kill insects and reduce biodiversity and damage the food chains. They could also be harmful to humans. There is also worries that the transferred gene may spread into the wider population, developing resistant weeds etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol u literally answered it as soon as a iposted
Original post by MBK14

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
Reply 49
Original post by PolarisVega
Can somebody give me a six mark question explanation of the carbon cycle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
There could be one about biomass and energy
Biomass and energy are usually four markers, but i do see the possibility that AQA extend them into 6 markers
Reply 53
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Adzkii786
They're going to make our paper 10x difficult, according to my teachers/others, as we are the last year so prepare for the worst. :afraid:

My teachers said that 😰
Reply 55
Original post by Tompicko22
My teachers said that 😰

There is still next summer. The new specification isn't being examined until Summer 2018?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Animals convert oxygen and glucose into carbon dioxide and water. ( I think)

Decent answer :wink::biggrin:
Reply 57
Original post by Dizgurl
Animals convert oxygen and glucose into carbon dioxide and water. ( I think)

Decent answer :wink::biggrin:

Is that wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Is that wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You put 'carbon and water' and I just thought it would be 'carbon dioxide and water'..... I don't think it's wrong, just a slight tweak that would be better to use to secure the marks :tongue:
Reply 59
I don't really think GM corps can worth 6 marks. It should be a 4 marker.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending