The Student Room Group

University tuition fees set to rise again

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
what's wrong with wanting to get an education without having to pay for it?

You know, some of us aren't so loaded that we could easily splash out on degrees.

I have a friend who's absolutely desperate to go to university but she worries she can't because she might not be able to afford it.

And what, you like the fact that the poorer people would be excluded from unis? Even if they have the sheer intelligence to be able to go to one?

How exactly is your friend unable to afford paying nothing upfront and nothing in repayments or interest until after she graduates and earns £21k?
From what I have heard, the Student Loans Company is awful with the current system - with interest being added on from the moment you get to Uni in the first year, the "£9000 a year fees" become a lot more costly without even factoring in accommodation and other living costs. Whilst I don't think University should necessarily be free, raising the fees even more will only serve to exclude poorer people who may have the same (or even better) academic credentials than those who can easily afford it. In addition, the fact that the loan is paid off in segments once you start earning means that our generation do not reap the benefits of earning until years after. Nowadays, we cannot possibly graduate from university and live independently as a graduate should do, which absolutely sucks.
Original post by pol pot noodles
How exactly is your friend unable to afford paying nothing upfront and nothing in repayments or interest until after she graduates and earns £21k?

I have seen this question asked a million times when tuition fees get brought up and I have never seen a good answer. Probably because the poster you quoted - and everyone like them - is chatting absolute ****.
(edited 7 years ago)
Slowly being priced out of life.
Will this affect students starting this year, or will it only affect those starting in the 2017/18 academic year?

There doesn't seem to be anything about it in the article :s-smilie:

Time to go study in Europe methinks, £9000 a year is already ridiculous enough as it is considering for most subjects all they do is sit in a building and get a powerpoint presentation orated to them
This is why I'd love to see a breakdown of what the tuition fees cover.
Original post by hezzlington
This is why I'd love to see a breakdown of what the tuition fees cover.

Even for something like Chemistry (an STEM subject that TSR loves so much) about 60% of my course I'd say was just sat in a class getting droned at. But that was at an ex-poly which tend to be more practical based teaching by nature. I can't imagine how many lectures Russell group students sit through
Reply 28
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
"How dare poor people rub shoulders with our diddums at university!"

Show me a situation where a student from 'poor' background is unable to go to university due to the cost of tuition fees?
Reply 29
Original post by 16characterlimit
Its going to be funny when the old racist c**** who voted these guys suffer without their doctors to staff their nhs, skilled workers to prop up their economy and teachers for their grand kids. Oh well we always have immigrants, oh wait they hate them too.

Spare us your ridiculous ranting and stick to the topic at hand.
The Netherlands is great this time of year, so's Germany, and Bulgaria, and Norway... and Australia... and Japan :cool:
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
The Netherlands is great this time of year, so's Germany, and Bulgaria, and Norway... and Australia... and Japan :cool:

I'm seriously considering applying for a uni in the Netherlands. I don't have the money behind me to go anywhere else. The difference in prestige or whatever can't be worth £8000-£7000+ a year surely? Time to learn Dutch maybe?
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
"The reforms could allow companies such as Facebook, Apple and Google to open their own universities and award degrees"

Fu*k

Off

Really can't see that happening.
Reply 33
Nothing I said was off topic, a rise in fees will discourage students which will discourage these professions

As has already been proven; a raise in fees has not had any impact on student numbers.

If you are going to be controversial for the sake of it by being in favour of this, at least bring some real arguments.

Ironic.
I'm thinking the same thing, I've looked into applying to do chemistry at Groningen, the only thing I'm concerned about is the job market, here if you do a year in industry you are almost guaranteed a job (or so I've heard), but I'm not sure how it would work over there.
Original post by Peppercrunch
Will this affect students starting this year, or will it only affect those starting in the 2017/18 academic year?

There doesn't seem to be anything about it in the article :s-smilie:

As far as I am aware it will only affect 2017/18 students and people who start this year will have the standard £9000 a year tuition fees. I feel for them so much, what with A-Level reforms and now potentially a future brimming full of more debt :frown:
Reply 36
You obviously don't understand basic economics.

You said student numbers would drop, I've pointed out that historical figures show otherwise.

I asked for arguments for your point of view, and you still have failed to provide them, now that's ironic.

I don't need an argument. I just quoted a fact which threw your entire rant out of the window. But don't worry yourself too much about it because I suspect you're one of the regular trolls around here just trying to get a rise so I'll leave it at that :smile:
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
As far as I am aware it will only affect 2017/18 students and people who start this year will have the standard £9000 a year tuition fees. I feel for them so much, what with A-Level reforms and now potentially a future brimming full of more debt :frown:

Oh god the A-Level reforms, those poor sods.

I'm sure we'll get slammed with the fee rise in second year though.
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
I'm thinking the same thing, I've looked into applying to do chemistry at Groningen, the only thing I'm concerned about is the job market, here if you do a year in industry you are almost guaranteed a job (or so I've heard), but I'm not sure how it would work over there.

You want to do chemistry too?

*High fives*

What's wrong with moving back over here after you've done your degree? You could argue that you would be more attractive to employers as you would have picked up both language skills and demonstrated that you are willing to go out of your comfort zone. Or maybe you could do internships in Britain over the summer?
Original post by PhysicsIP2016

Ah, phew.
I'm not affected as I'm going to university this year.

Yea, I feel bad for them with the rising tuition fee. It's not likely that the teaching will improve that much anyways, if at all.

It's like an education tax on the poor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending