The Student Room Group

How do I sort my life out?

I'm in my early twenties and frankly sometimes I feel pathetic. I know what I want to do to improve myself; start working out, learn Spanish, start reading and writing more, learn to drive and other things. But everyday I just wake up (far too late usually), go to work, come home and watch Netflix and eat **** food. I don't know how to break the cycle and become the person I want to be. Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

One thing at a time. You want to do so much that you probably don't know where to start. Take it slow, pick up a book, call up and get a quote for driving lessons, buy some dumbbells. Just do one of them and you'll feel motivated to finish it off.
Do you live at home or on your own/with flatmates?
Reply 3
Get out of your comfort zone. Go to a poor country and experience real challenges. Experience hardship. Learn about other cultures. Make a positive friend.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in my early twenties and frankly sometimes I feel pathetic. I know what I want to do to improve myself; start working out, learn Spanish, start reading and writing more, learn to drive and other things. But everyday I just wake up (far too late usually), go to work, come home and watch Netflix and eat **** food. I don't know how to break the cycle and become the person I want to be. Any advice?

You have to do it, cliche & obvious.

Do it a bit by bit. Come home, plan not to sit & watch, go to the gym or run. Then each day change another thing before you know it you've broken that repetitive cycle

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have a listen to this. I think it is probably right up your street!

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/grit/

Tbh if you feel like that and keep going you will eventually hit rock bottom, just start working out and other things will follow, physical health affects your mental health greatly!
Reply 7

Definitely cancel the Netflix subscription, far too tempting! Usually what I do is write a checklist the night before (this is usually when I feel really motivated to do a lot of the stuff you have listed, however that motivation never carries over to the next morning!), I don't know why but checking things off that list the next day makes me feel great. As for working out I haven't mastered early mornings and prefer to go in the evening (some people prefer the other way), it's quite hard to motivate yourself to go if you've been at work all day but I always feel better for going, classes are good because you have to sign up in advance and commit to it. I find that once you get the ball rolling with being productive in one part of your life everything else becomes easier, routine is key. As for learning Spanish there's a great app called duolingo which is free, I used to use this if I when on the train to work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going through this exact same problem at the moment, so I understand where you're coming from. It is ridiculously frustrating and ultimately leaves you feeling all the more worthless and de-motivated. I found that the best way to keep going is to find a source of inspiration in something. It could be from anything really- music, films, books etc. Also when I was living in Cambridge I had a close circle of friends who inadvertently pushed me because of their ambition, and their ambition to succeed became infectious and rubbed off on me.

If you're constantly by yourself or feel trapped in some way by your daily routine then you could consider doing something new and unexpected, just to get yourself out of that mindset. If you're thinking about writing, have you considered joining a social group for writers, or a book club? Or you could ask your family or friends to encourage you more if you need that push from something?
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
physical health affects your mental health greatly!
And vice versa :smile:

@Zargabaath Is this you?
Original post by Little Popcorns
And vice versa :smile:

Absolutely, both are linked with each other. If only I had realised that sooner, I would have never stopped running years ago...:frown:
Do you live at home or on your own/with flatmates?

I live with my family.
Absolutely, both are linked with each other. If only I had realised that sooner, I would have never stopped running years ago...:frown:
:frown: aw don't blame yourself now, also if there's a lot going on in your life or in your head (stress) it can be pretty difficult to motivate yourself to do things like that.
And it's important to remember that exercising yourself into oblivion can have the opposite effect... becoming obsessive about it I mean. Everything in moderation is what I mean.
Set yourself goals and work your way to reach them, I mean, surely high grades was what motivated you at school right? So just do the same thing now, set yourself a goal and achieve it.
Idek, throw yourself out there, do something different. Go speed dating, paintballing, travel the world for a bit. Just do something outside your normal routine
I live with my family.

what's the household environment like?
What job are you doing? If you don't want to say no worries but... do you enjoy your job?
:frown: aw don't blame yourself now, also if there's a lot going on in your life or in your head (stress) it can be pretty difficult to motivate yourself to do things like that.
And it's important to remember that exercising yourself into oblivion can have the opposite effect... becoming obsessive about it I mean. Everything in moderation is what I mean.

:yes:

I try to make exercise as playful as possible. For example mucking about on some boulders and jumping over them is fun in a way running for hours on end is not -.-

@TheonlyMrsHolmes

I really enjoyed it and then one morning my foot got stuck in the pavement and I fell really hard on my face, almost broke my nose...I don't know why but I never went back. Soon after, my granddads sister (who lived on that same road) passed away and I just never felt like going back...I ended up stopping all together. I think my happiness levels where at their highest back then, I was very productive, got enough sleep and was at my fittest. Now I feel like a cold, miserable old lady with aches and pains who thinks the world is just a very cold place (I'm 18 :redface:).

Original post by ChaoticButterfly

I try to make exercise as playful as possible. For example mucking about on some boulders and jumping over them is fun in a way running for hours on end is not -.-

@TheonlyMrsHolmes

It is fun if you listen to music that you really like! But yes, it's definitely fun to change things up. I just got really comfortable with running, it use to make me happy. I should go back to it, probably will do after exams!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

@TheonlyMrsHolmes
The way you've replied I was going to say are you OP but you aren't working atm and you definitely don't just watch netflix and eat ****.

It is fun if you listen to music that you really like! But yes, it's definitely fun to change things up. I just got really comfortable with running, it use to make me happy. I should go back to it, probably will do after exams!

When I was revising I would go on my bike for an hour straight away after I got up. Then spend rest of the day revising. When you are revising and have no lessons etc to go to you actually have a lot of time. Making some time for exercise is not going to harm your exam chances. It would probably help it. You can't be switched on 24/7 and it gets to the point where it becomes counter productive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending