The Student Room Group

C1 Exam (18th May)

Hey there!
I have my C1 Edexcel maths exam coming up this Wednesday and I'm pretty nervous and not feeling as confident, I've done plenty of revision over the past months I've done ever past paper from 2005 to last years 2 times over, and getting 100% in most second time over, but I found the 2015 paper to be the hardest one to date and I just have a feeling Edexcel will decide to make it even harder this year? I'm really hoping to get an A in my maths A level or even a B, is this a normal feeling? Is there anything I can do between Monday till my exam?

Thanks
Original post by cocainedaf
Hey there!
I have my C1 Edexcel maths exam coming up this Wednesday and I'm pretty nervous and not feeling as confident, I've done plenty of revision over the past months I've done ever past paper from 2005 to last years 2 times over, and getting 100% in most second time over, but I found the 2015 paper to be the hardest one to date and I just have a feeling Edexcel will decide to make it even harder this year? I'm really hoping to get an A in my maths A level or even a B, is this a normal feeling? Is there anything I can do between Monday till my exam?

Thanks

Work on any potential weaknesses and keep going over the process of tackling the different problem types. If you're getting close to 100%, try working on improving your time with finishing the paper.

Whatever happens, don't linger on a question, move on. I know teachers will stress this before the exam, but when I took my C1 I got stuck on a stationary points question and refused to move on because I knew I'd correctly answered that question type 100 times over.

I messed the whole exam up as a result, because of that one lapse, don't let that happen to you!
Hey there!

Thanks

Hi, I`m already done with c1 and 2 .The best tip is to go through the mark scheme and find out of your mistakes or you can check out videos on youtube where the paper is discussed.You can even try http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/maths-revision/a-level-core-1/
where there are ample of revision papers ,specimen papers & mark schemes.Hope you find this useful
Reply 3
Hey there!

Thanks

It sounds like you're on track.

Maybe have a go at some other papers e.g. the Solomon, Madas or IAL (only C1 questions) papers. The more different sorts of questions you try, the better prepared you'll be for what Edexcel can throw at you.

Remember that a hard paper = lower grade boundaries. So you will hopefully get a similar UMS to what you're getting now even if a paper is hard.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey there!

Thanks

Can you link me the edexcel 2015 C1 paper and ms please or upload it, many thanks
Original post by Sniperdon227
Can you link me the edexcel 2015 C1 paper and ms please or upload it, many thanks

It's on here: http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/c1-edexcel/
examsolutions.com guaranteed A provided u do everything and the questions!lol
Reply 8
Hey there!

Thanks

I did C1 last year and got an A on it, but decided to repeat it just to get a few extra marks in it. 2015 was one of the hardest papers I did and I don't think edexcel would be so cruel to do the same again. If they do just remember that everyone else will be thrown off and find it difficult. If you continue on with maths next year you will probably just repeat again to get extra marks in like me because you find C1 a lot easier than a level modules. Until then the best thing to do is go over your weaknesses and relax because you seem to be doing brilliantly so far!

Best of luck!
Reply 9
Original post by nase14_aldayz
Work on any potential weaknesses and keep going over the process of tackling the different problem types. If you're getting close to 100%, try working on improving your time with finishing the paper.

Whatever happens, don't linger on a question, move on. I know teachers will stress this before the exam, but when I took my C1 I got stuck on a stationary points question and refused to move on because I knew I'd correctly answered that question type 100 times over.

I messed the whole exam up as a result, because of that one lapse, don't let that happen to you!

Thanks! I've had a look over some questions, mainly low mark questions where I might make a silly mistake and making sure I'm confident in them, started the MadAsMaths papers and it's going well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by zainab rihmy
Hi, I`m already done with c1 and 2 .The best tip is to go through the mark scheme and find out of your mistakes or you can check out videos on youtube where the paper is discussed.You can even try http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/maths-revision/a-level-core-1/
where there are ample of revision papers ,specimen papers & mark schemes.Hope you find this useful

Thank you! Yes it definitely does, I've been using this a lot actually and highly recommend it as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by notnek
It sounds like you're on track.

Maybe have a go at some other papers e.g. the Solomon, Madas or IAL (only C1 questions) papers. The more different sorts of questions you try, the better prepared you'll be for what Edexcel can throw at you.

Remember that a hard paper = lower grade boundaries. So you will hopefully get a similar UMS to what you're getting now even if a paper is hard.

I've started the MadAsmaths papers and tbh the early ones from A-E are fairly easy so I decided to jump to the hardest one Paper S and I struggled extremely and managed to score 54/75 on that, is that bad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by aleonard1
I did C1 last year and got an A on it, but decided to repeat it just to get a few extra marks in it. 2015 was one of the hardest papers I did and I don't think edexcel would be so cruel to do the same again. If they do just remember that everyone else will be thrown off and find it difficult. If you continue on with maths next year you will probably just repeat again to get extra marks in like me because you find C1 a lot easier than a level modules. Until then the best thing to do is go over your weaknesses and relax because you seem to be doing brilliantly so far!

Best of luck!

Ah thanks! Yeah I hope not, and congrats on your A grade and good luck this time as well! Any tips you recommend me day before the exam? Some people have told me I should just relax the day before some have said use the last day to get the most revision done?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I've started the MadAsmaths papers and tbh the early ones from A-E are fairly easy so I decided to jump to the hardest one Paper S and I struggled extremely and managed to score 54/75 on that, is that bad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No that's a very high score for that paper.

A lot of the papers have a difficulty rating which is the number you multiply the raw mark by to get the UMS.

Paper Z has a rating of 2.0270 and paper S is harder (rated extrememely hard) so the difficulty rating will be > 2.0270.

So using that, 54 would be 100 UMS !
Ah thanks! Yeah I hope not, and congrats on your A grade and good luck this time as well! Any tips you recommend me day before the exam? Some people have told me I should just relax the day before some have said use the last day to get the most revision done?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i would say go over anything the topics that seem to trip you up the most and what exactly trips you up on them. Be aware of them so if they do come up on the exam you can remember that these questions can be tricky. Other then that you should relax and maybe if you want another practice paper just to fill your times because the day before exams can always seem so long if you think there is nothing more you can do.

Quick Reply

Latest