The Student Room Group

C1 question Solomon I

It's Part C I'm having an issue with - for your info, the coords of Q and R are (15,0) and (0,15/4) respectively

I can't seem to get the required area, and don't understand why in the markscheme the triangles area is as simple as '1/2 * 15 * 15/4'

I know the area of a triangle is 1/2*b*h but I can't seem to understand the logic in the answer.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because to find the area of the triangle on a graph x and y are base and height and so it is simply just 1/2*X*Y.
Question sounds a lot harder than it actually is tbf
Reply 2
Original post by Xzerzes
Because to find the area of the triangle on a graph x and y are base and height and so it is simply just 1/2*X*Y.
Question sounds a lot harder than it actually is tbf

I still don't get it.. because I thought you could only do this if the base and height are perpendicular
Reply 3
@Zacken accidently posted in A levels just realised sorry could you please move it (& also help pls :wink: )
Reply 4
Original post by iMacJack
@Zacken accidently posted in A levels just realised sorry could you please move it (& also help pls :wink: )

Draw a sketch and post it up if it's still not screaming out at you. Remember that the axes are perpendicular to one another so it's a right-angled triangle.
It's Part C I'm having an issue with - for your info, the coords of Q and R are (15,0) and (0,15/4) respectively

I can't seem to get the required area, and don't understand why in the markscheme the triangles area is as simple as '1/2 * 15 * 15/4'

I know the area of a triangle is 1/2*b*h but I can't seem to understand the logic in the answer.

Thanks!

Draw a graph with those points and you will see that it is a right angled triangle (i.e half a square).
Reply 6
X and Y are perpendicular though.
It is a right angle triangle with (0,0) (0,15/4) (15,0)
X2-X1= 15-0 = Base
Y2-Y1= 15/4-0 = Height
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
Draw a sketch and post it up if it's still not screaming out at you. Remember that the axes are perpendicular to one another so it's a right-angled triangle.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463424009.598573.jpg

Rough sketch but it really isn't screaming out at me

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's simple

Thanks!

Really simple, (1/2) x (15) x (15/4) = 225/8 = 28 1/8

Posted from TSR Mobile

OQR not PQR
Reply 10
Original post by techfan42
It's simple

Really simple, (1/2) x (15) x (15/4) = 225/8 = 28 1/8

Well, yes I am aware of that. It's the actual logic behind it I am not understanding - I appreciate the input however

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by techfan42
OQR not PQR

For.God.Sake I am an idiot oh lord lmao I SWEAR IT SAID PQR

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read the question, it says the triangle OQR. What is O? Its the origin.
Well, yes I am aware of that. It's the actual logic behind it I am not understanding - I appreciate the input however

Posted from TSR Mobile

You did PQR, question says OQR where O is (0,0)
Reply 14
Well I am rather embarrassed at my lack of ability to read the question xD....

I honestly thought it was the triangle PQR, in which case I was like what wtf why have they just done 1/2 * b * h.. oh lord
For.God.Sake I am an idiot oh lord lmao I SWEAR IT SAID PQR

Posted from TSR Mobile

hahahaha it's fine, I always misread the question
Reply 16
Thanks every one! That was a bit of a ridiculous error on my behalf.. well that serves me right I guess!!

Just to clarify - if it was PQR, you'd get the distances with the distance formula etc wouldnt you
Reply 17
Thanks every one! That was a bit of a ridiculous error on my behalf.. well that serves me right I guess!!

Just to clarify - if it was PQR, you'd get the distances with the distance formula etc wouldnt you

Yep.

Yes :tongue:
Reply 19
Original post by Marxist
Yes :tongue:

When you do this with the length formulas, how do you know which ones to multiply together? Cheers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest