The Student Room Group

GCSE CORE SCIENCE B1 C1 P1 Exams 2016 {OFFICIAL THREAD} EDEXCEL ONLY

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tmason1
Deffo the nitrogen cycle.. probably not the carbon cycle. That came up as a six marker in 2014 and it came up generally last year! :smile:

I thought the Nitrogen cycle wasn't in paper 1?
Reply 41
Original post by TSlayerr
Cystic fibrosis came up last year. Same with glucose regulation

Sorry!!! I misunderstood haha! Ignore me.
Reply 42
Original post by Mastermaxtoppen
I thought the Nitrogen cycle wasn't in paper 1?

Yeah, well i believe it is.. Ive learned it on my spec and in class.
Original post by tmason1
Yeah, well i believe it is.. Ive learned it on my spec and in class.

The double science spec I'm currently doing doesn't talk about the nitrogen cycle :/ it says its only on paper 2.
Original post by tmason1
Deffo the nitrogen cycle.. probably not the carbon cycle. That came up as a six marker in 2014 and it came up generally last year! :smile:

Ah, I wasn't aware that the carbon cycle came up as a 6 marker in 2014, but I did hear that the nitrogen cycle has never really come up. Everyone in my year is predicting it too, I hate it! :sad: Good luck though! :biggrin:
Reply 45
Original post by callumterty
Ah, I wasn't aware that the carbon cycle came up as a 6 marker in 2014, but I did hear that the nitrogen cycle has never really come up. Everyone in my year is predicting it too, I hate it! :sad: Good luck though! :biggrin:

Im pretty sure it came up in 2014 :smile: You too! let me know how you get on haha.
I feel extremely relaxed because if i do absolutely badly on the exam tomorrow, I got 50/50 in my CA so there's still a chance i can get an A* (out of 50 because its part of the biology GCSE not the core science GCSE)
Hi guys, I'm also doing the biology exam tomorrow. Fingers crossed everyone does well.:smile:
Don't sweat it, biology core is pretty simple no need to over stress about it and get worked up thats the last thing you want to do.
Reply 49
Original post by blizza15
hi i'm struggling with biology and i need help asap i have the exam tommorow could you please help me i think i know all the content but i just think that i'm going to fail and let myself down:frown::frown::smile:

Feel free to ask me if you'd like any help. :smile: Woud be helpful for me fr revision a well. :biggrin:
Any other ideas about what topics might come up? I'm thinking a bit more on binomial classification this year (and obviously the nitrogen cycle) but anything else?
I got 58/60 in the June 2015 mock past paper, but im still worried about what the six marker questions might be, they could be something really hard
Reply 52
Original post by bethanngreen
Any other ideas about what topics might come up? I'm thinking a bit more on binomial classification this year (and obviously the nitrogen cycle) but anything else?

There's always a question on pollution - whether's there's one whole question dedicated to pollution or whether it's just a sub-question, either way that comes up every year (they tend to ask about eutrophication a lot.)

Classification didn't come up last year - neither did plant hormones or phototropism. Diabetes may come up? Homeostasis is another very common question on exams, again whether it be a small sub-question or a stem question.
Reply 53
Original post by blizza15
my teacher predicts that the 6 marker will be nitrogen cycle as it hasnt come up yet anyways i gtg but ill be online at 5ish to discuss the exam so plz come online

5am or 5pm tomorrow?
Reply 54
Original post by Mastermaxtoppen
Ah wish me luck as well still revising stuff and past papers. though im at a slight disadvantage, im doing the paper at like 9:00 due to clashes in the afternoon.

Be sure to discuss how you found the exam.
All the best :smile:
Hey guys good luck on your exams tommorow! Do you think mutualidm and parasitism will be a 6 marker?
6 marker: Describe all the processes involved in the nitrogen cycle.Plants and animals cannot directly use nitrogen gas. They need to get it from nitrogen containing substances. Nitrogen in the air can be fixed into ammonia using nitrogen fixing bacteria in the soil or nitrogen fixing bacteria in root nodules of legumes (mutualistic relationship). Plants can use ammonia, but they grow better with nitrates. Nitrifying bacteria can convert ammonia into nitrates. Lightning can provide enough energy to combine nitrogen and oxygen in the air, forming nitrates. Animals eat the plants containing nitrogen compounds which will be used to make proteins etc in their biomass. Some nitrogen compounds will be excreted into the environment in faeces or urine. When plants or animals die, decomposers break down urea and proteins into ammonia. Sometimes, there is a lack of oxygen in the soil so denitrifying bacteria converts nitrates into nitrites and others convert nitrites into nitrogen gas.
I hope this helps

Good luck :smile: I'm going through evolution and ethics/transplant b4 i rest. 2 hours of science class before the exam tomorrow so I'm going to look through past papers and mark schemes. Im also looking through the specification to see if i have covered everything. :smile:
Original post by Akramrahman
Hey guys good luck on your exams tommorow! Do you think mutualidm and parasitism will be a 6 marker?

Mutualism came up last year as a 6 marker so i doubt it'll come up again
Original post by TSlayerr
Mutualism came up last year as a 6 marker so i doubt it'll come up again

Oh yeah so everyone thinks nitrogen cycle will come up but what will the other 6 marker be? It could be about natural selection??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending