The Student Room Group

geography AS LEVEL AQA exam tomorrow, what....?

so tomorrow i have my geography unit 1 exam and i was wondering does anyone know or think of what could come up (what topic are likely to come up)
and my topics are rivers and management, coastal environment, population and the last topic is health issues.
thank you so much
Based on looking at past papers, The effects of flooding for coasts, the population particulalrly focusing on ageing and youthful populations, there is likely to be a question on rejuvenation and soft vs hard engineering for rivers- i don't do health, sorry! Good luck!
Hey I do 2/4 of those and my teacher has helped us predict what could be on the following:

Rivers: Case studies- flooding in medc/ledc or the soft and hard engineering ones like the 3 gorges dam or the river quaggy (there were no case studies in the 2015 exam), Hjulstroms Curve, Storm hydrographs and factors effecting it, Soft & Hard engineering, Erosional features (Waterfalls mainly). the 2015 paper had: meander formations, 15 mark question on long/cross profiles & characteristics of a drainage basin in short answer

I also do Cold environments so for those that do it: Case Studies - Tundra or Antartica or both if AQA are feeling it (again no case studies on 2015 paper), Fluvioglacial Landform and Erosional landforms (Peri and deposition were on 2015, a 15 marker on periglacial and short answers on moraines), Flows, glacial budgets could come up (hopefully)

Population - population pyramids, boserup + malthus, factors effecting population change, fertility/ EMR etc ( Demographic transition models were on last year so unlikely to come up), the 15 marker on the 2015 paper was on how migration effected population structure and the impactions for balance between population and recourses so the 15 marker may be on the likes of China, Thailand etc. Also Transmigration may crop up.

I do food supply instead of health so for those that do food supply: types of farming, geopolitics Green revolution (hard to figure out what could come up) The 15 marker for the 2015 paper was how TNCs have a positive contributed to the global food supply.
Reply 3
Original post by LauraaLouu24
Based on looking at past papers, The effects of flooding for coasts, the population particulalrly focusing on ageing and youthful populations, there is likely to be a question on rejuvenation and soft vs hard engineering for rivers- i don't do health, sorry! Good luck!

Thank you so much. good luck to you too.
Reply 4
Original post by jadeyfletch
Hey I do 2/4 of those and my teacher has helped us predict what could be on the following:

Rivers: Case studies- flooding in medc/ledc or the soft and hard engineering ones like the 3 gorges dam or the river quaggy (there were no case studies in the 2015 exam), Hjulstroms Curve, Storm hydrographs and factors effecting it, Soft & Hard engineering, Erosional features (Waterfalls mainly). the 2015 paper had: meander formations, 15 mark question on long/cross profiles & characteristics of a drainage basin in short answer

I also do Cold environments so for those that do it: Case Studies - Tundra or Antartica or both if AQA are feeling it (again no case studies on 2015 paper), Fluvioglacial Landform and Erosional landforms (Peri and deposition were on 2015, a 15 marker on periglacial and short answers on moraines), Flows, glacial budgets could come up (hopefully)

Population - population pyramids, boserup + malthus, factors effecting population change, fertility/ EMR etc ( Demographic transition models were on last year so unlikely to come up), the 15 marker on the 2015 paper was on how migration effected population structure and the impactions for balance between population and recourses so the 15 marker may be on the likes of China, Thailand etc. Also Transmigration may crop up.

I do food supply instead of health so for those that do food supply: types of farming, geopolitics Green revolution (hard to figure out what could come up) The 15 marker for the 2015 paper was how TNCs have a positive contributed to the global food supply.

Thank you. And do you think tomorrows paper is going to be hard
Original post by Laura887
Thank you. And do you think tomorrows paper is going to be hard

the 2015 one was pretty hard so it may be a bit nicer
the 2015 one was pretty hard so it may be a bit nicer

Really? I did the 2015 paper and it was a gift of a paper - although the energy section was naff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

Transmigration? Is this something important that we need to know? My teacher hasn't taught anything on it or even mentioned it!! This is the first time I've heard about it *has a mini panic attack*
Original post by Kiara918
Transmigration? Is this something important that we need to know? My teacher hasn't taught anything on it or even mentioned it!! This is the first time I've heard about it *has a mini panic attack*

Have you done about Indonesia where people were moved to the different islands? That's transmigration
Reply 9
Have you done about Indonesia where people were moved to the different islands? That's transmigration

No and nothing like that either
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kiara918
No and nothing like that either

Hopefully this will help you
https://youtu.be/JuR8XjuobtM

Also Ageing and youthful population may come up
Hopefully this will help you
https://youtu.be/JuR8XjuobtM

Also Ageing and youthful population may come up

Thanks!! You're a lifesaver!
I sat 2015 it was a nasty paper! I think the paper tomorrow could be okay! Rejuvenation is likely to come up and so is youthful/ageing population! Just don't stress guys, not much you can do to help now!
Reply 13
I was just wondering does anyone know If the DTM model is likely to come up tomorrow
thanks
Original post by Laura887
I was just wondering does anyone know If the DTM model is likely to come up tomorrow
thanks

It was in last year so is unlikely
Reply 15
It was in last year so is unlikely

oh alright thank you
If anyone does deserts, do they know what is likely to come up? Hopefully not landforms or desertification for the 15 marker, they're my weakest areas :/
Reply 17
does anyone know what could come up in the skills paper
Reply 18
Thw geographical skills questions always seem pretty similar like how could the enquiry be improved, how did you present your data etc, what was your aim, tbh I would say make aure you can answer these to a high standard, it seems like easy marks imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Think this went pretty well tbh. Loved the rivers 15 marker on flooding as the well as the population one on social welfare and the coasts on management. Hated the energy 15 marker but I think I managed to BS enough to get 7 ish marks which isn't bad for a rushed 10 minute effort. Only one I missed out was the 4 marker on coasts about coastal mass movement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending