The Student Room Group

iGCSE biology edexcel May 17th predictions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dance25
ME TOO- this is kinda what i know but im really bad at explaining let me know if ive missed anything

Beer is made from barley seeds which is starch( it needs to broken down into smaller molecule).
in order to be broken down the barley seeds need to produce amalyse( which is the enzyme that breaks down starch).
amylase is produced by germinating the barley seeds- by soaking in water and leaving in a malt house.
then the amylase produced breaks down the starch into glucose. the yeast then anaerobically respires and breaks down the maltose into ethanol and co2.

ethanoll is alcohol which is beer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by themightysandu
Oops, fermenters, beer, yoghurt, wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just to say, yoghurt isn't in Paper 1, it's only in Paper 2
Reply 182
Original post by dance25
ME TOO- this is kinda what i know but im really bad at explaining let me know if ive missed anything

Beer is made from barley seeds which is starch( it needs to broken down into smaller molecule).
in order to be broken down the barley seeds need to produce amalyse( which is the enzyme that breaks down starch).
amylase is produced by germinating the barley seeds- by soaking in water and leaving in a malt house.
then the amylase produced breaks down the starch into glucose. the yeast then anaerobically respires and breaks down the maltose into ethanol and co2.

ethanoll is alcohol which is beer

Points you missed:-
-Seeds are killed and dried to make malt
-Hops are added for taste
-Beer is centrifuged, filtered and sometimes pasteurised
-Put into casks or barrels
Original post by TheCe

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hamza.sheikh
Can you give me some tips for exam technique? And for those experimental and investigation questions/suggesting improvements and all. :smile:

i have a biology exam tomorrow any tips by the way I'm taking the foundation tier
Original post by TheCe

Thanks! why are the seeds killed? like why is malt made? - that's a really poorly phrased q aha
Reply 186
Original post by dance25
Thanks! why are the seeds killed? like why is malt made? - that's a really poorly phrased q aha

I have no idea and I don't think it really matters, does it @themightysandu ?
Is the menstrual cycle in the paper do you think?
Original post by TheCe
I have no idea and I don't think it really matters, does it @themightysandu ?

Dunno
Malt is made cause starch is broken down into maltose, it's dried for some magical reason which I'm sure is cool. It does make beer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 189
Dunno
Malt is made cause starch is broken down into maltose, it's dried for some magical reason which I'm sure is cool. It does make beer

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's with all these magical reasons bruh lol
Original post by TheCe
What's with all these magical reasons bruh lol

Hogwarts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 191
Anyway guys I'm off gotta revise a few things. Best of luck everyone!!!
Im stuck on limiting factors for photosynthesis anyone care to explain?
Original post by maths_geek234
Im stuck on limiting factors for photosynthesis anyone care to explain?

Light Intensity
CO2 concentration
Temperature
Any predictions for the 5/6 mark questions? (e.g consequences of greenhouse gases, transpiration, smoking...)
Original post by Mark 88
Any predictions for the 5/6 mark questions? (e.g consequences of greenhouse gases, transpiration, smoking...)

Could be anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could be anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is your predicted grade?
Original post by Mark 88
What is your predicted grade?

A* wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by waleed29
Do you gys mind sharing your bio and chem notes as i have been in hospital for 3 weeks

i just use the edexcel revision guide and gcp books
Let me put like this;
Light , CO2, Temperature are the main limiting factors that matter in the exams

When light increases the rate of photosynthesis increase until a certain point when photosynthesis evens off
This is because the 2 other factors; amount CO2 or the temperature will not support (not sure if that's a good word) a higher rate of photosynthesis. The same is true for any of the 3 factors where one factor no longer supports the a higher rate of photosynthesis and has now become the limiting factor

Hope that helps

Quick Reply

Latest