The Student Room Group

AQA MEST 1 section B cross media case study help- 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by lrhwaterx
I too dont really understand section B..

The cross media study my teacher has given is the news aswell and within this 3 aspects - TV, Print and e-Media. So do you have to write about all three regardless what the statement says? Just try and link them in or could you only write about one? If so how many case studies would you say i should out with one

Yeah you MUST write about all 3 platforms or you wont get more than a D grade. You MUST relate your case studies to the question. Case study wise I recommend 1 main story and 2/3 smaller ones. If you want, I am happy to send you my mock paper to look at,
Reply 21
Original post by Grade
I'm doing News as my case study and I am studying BBC News and Channel Four News across three media platforms (moving image, print, and e-media). I know what to talk about for moving image and e-media but I have no idea what to talk about for print as I don't think BBC News and Channel Four News cover print. What shall I do? Should I choose a newspaper alongside BBC and Channel Four News to talk about?

Dont have a specific print institution to talk about - talk about all of them. HOw diff institutions used different ways...
Original post by tank09
Yeah you MUST write about all 3 platforms or you wont get more than a D grade. You MUST relate your case studies to the question. Case study wise I recommend 1 main story and 2/3 smaller ones. If you want, I am happy to send you my mock paper to look at,
could you?! that would be much appreciated!! :smile:
Reply 23
could you?! that would be much appreciated!! :smile:

Have you got an email or something I can send pics on??
can you not just message me on here? sorry im new to this ahah
Original post by tank09
Have you got an email or something I can send pics on??
Reply 25
can you not just message me on here? sorry im new to this ahah

I have no clue how to ahah. I have one essay on the comp that features one case study but not 3 - it still got full marks on an easy featuring one case study
Original post by tank09
I have no clue how to ahah. I have one essay on the comp that features one case study but not 3 - it still got full marks on an easy featuring one case study

WOW!! would you mind sending it to me as well?? :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by lilyolivia123
WOW!! would you mind sending it to me as well?? :smile:

Yeah thats chill
Reply 28
To anyone who wanted a A grade exemplar for Section B - featuring ONE case study - IN THE REAL EXAM 3 CASE STUDIES ARE NEEDED!!!
Explore in detail how one newsstory has been constructed across 3 different media platforms
Since the digital revolution ofthe 20th century the mass media has undergone many dramatic changes. Currentissues and debates are often centred on the way modern media institutions areusing developing technologies and the subsequent alterations in audiencebehaviours and needs. In the past, media texts were often dealt with asindividual products but it is now more relevant to consider ‘media platforms’rather than individual ‘media texts’. Many media texts that are created by themajor institutions now appear across the three platforms print, broadcastingand electronic. Institutions use the platforms to: reach broad audiences, tooffer texts in different formats, provide a range of different potentialgratifications for audiences. Audiencesare not all the same; as with any other media text, the reasons why peopleaccess texts and the way they make use of them vary. Some texts provideinformation, others entertainment and in some cases they are simplypromotional. Most texts will probably offer a combination of all theseelements, but some parts of a multiplatform text may target specific audiencegroups with particular gratification needs. On November 13, a series of terror attacks inthe heart of Paris left at least 153 dead and paralyzed the French capital withfear. 200 people were wounded. From 8 to 10 extremists dead following theattack. Oneway this catastrophic event has been constructed is through the print platform.The most common media text print used to display this tragic event was Newspapers.Print media is an easy medium to spread awareness about a topical issue in avariety of ways dependent on the audience. The Sun's demographic for example isyounger ages around 20 to 30ish, so tend to have a larger image to print ratio.In regards to the Paris Attacks, the front covers of this institutions papersincluded saturated, images of the event that took up the majority of the page.This is done to draw the audience in and captivate them immediately before theyhave read anything. In contrast to this, broadsheets like The Independent hadmore of an equal ratio between text andimages. As well as this, The Independent, Daily Mail and other broadsheetstended use emotive adverbs like 'massacre', 'slaughter' and 'carnage' in theirbold headlines which entrances their audience as well as, playing on the heartstrings of the reader. Furthermore, both tabloids and broadsheets used the mostimportant figures to engage the audience for instance; next to the scoop andbellow the headline figures such as '153 dead' could be seen in large blockcapitals. However, if you are attempting to target the global audience, then this is notthe medium you should go for. Instead, the emedia platform and broadcasting platform,which has a much wider reach than print media in this. It also provides 24/7news and audience interactivity. Sky, launched by Rupert Murdoch in 1982 has developed considerably overthe past few decades resulting in thecreation of a convergent device known as the HDBOX. This modern convergentdevice allows a variety of modern media to be combined into one box. Thisconvergent device enables the now active audiences to watch aspects of the newsthat has been missed. In this being possible, it provides another form of 24/7news coverage other than one of Sky's 24/7 news channels. This adaptation hasbeen done to comply to one of Katz and Bulmer's points on instantgratifications for the audience highlighting that institutions are developingwith time. This ability to provide news 24/7 enabled audiences to immediatelyfind out about the Paris Attacks of 2015. Sky's scrolling bar on their news channel provided audiences the most upto date and important news. For example it mentioned '200 were wounded' and'153 dead', highlighting that the event had a high threshold. The fact it hadsuch a large threshold and was quite a frequent event enabled the Skyinstitution to keep their audiences up to date with live coverage. The 2 waysplit screen that included the studio presenter and the live presenter at thescene of the catastrophe allows an immediate reaction of the event to bedepicted to the viewers as well as, a more developed response to what hadhappened. This is evident as the live presenter used many 'umms' and took manypauses to think of what to say as they are in sheer shock whereas, the studiopresenter has more developed response. As well as this, the live coverage enables the audience to see what ishappening then and there putting them in the 'shoes' of the victims. This isenhanced by the ability to have interviews with the victims again, putting theaudience in their shoes causing them to feel pathos towards the Paris Attackcasualty. Moreover, audiences feel a sense of catharsis as the presenter mentioning'more than 100 dead' anchors the digital on screen graphics presented by thesplit screen. Furthermore, the music in the background normally synchronizes tothe event, in the case of the Paris Attacks the non digetic sound was quitedark and depressing which anchors the digital on screen graphics of what hashappened. Finally, the red button that Sky offers, provides a form ofinteractivity for the audience getting them involved. As well as this, usergenerated content like recordings of the Paris Attacks on portable devices likephones are encouraged to be sent in to the institution to provide a differentperception on the event. Also, audiences are encouraged to 'tweet' or email inand often 'like the Facebook page' encouraging them to share information on theemedia platform; which defies the 'hypodermic syringe approach' which states weare sponges and just soak up the information fed to us by the Media Gods. Peoplehave been showing their solidarity with France and expressing their emotions afterthe attack using social media. The social media platform was awash with blue, white and redas people all over the world support Paris. You can change yours too - find afriend who has changed their profile picture, click the 'try it' button and setthe filter. Facebook permitted users to highlight their support by changing thecolours on their profile picture, which also highlighted the catastrophic eventthat had occured. In addition, Facebook have a trending news part on theirhomepage which depicted at number 1 the Paris Attacks. If clicked on thishyperlink it would take you to a specific page with thumbnails and hyperlinksto online articles and videos about this heart wrenching disaster. Twitter was a main provider of news of this event and alertedmany people before either print or broadcasting could. Its 140 character limit enabled the most important information tobe released into the global village which isn't always good. This could lead tomisinterpretations which causes a circulation of misinformation however, thiswasn't the case and instead allowed people to quickly find out what hadhappened. Moreover, it was a place for people to offer their condolences andsupport. #PorteOuverte began trending on Twitter as people offered their helpsuch as 'Any Parisians stuck in the UK, we have room at our home not too farfrom Heathrow airport #PorteOuverte'. Another large trender onTwitter was #PrayforParis which enabled people to voice their sympathies.
Moreover, the peace symbol with the EifelTower is circulating social media to honour Paris. Jean Jullien drewthis when he heard on the radio about the terrorist attacks in his native land-France. While everyone else tried to share their feelings with words, he drewthis picture, which quickly spread on social media, particularly Instagram.

Furthermore,print institutions like The Independent and The Guardian took to their onlinewebsites to highlight the same information they had in their printed articles.Large bold texts using emotive language like 'massacre' was still used. Alongwith this, facts and figures where underlined and accentuated by being madebold. The only difference was the hyperlinks and thumbnails to other sitesregarding the Paris Attacks. The Guardian also had a comments section where theaudience could express their opinions and views creating debates andconversations between one another. Toconclude the Paris Attacks of 2015 have been constructed in a diverse rangeacross each of the 3 platforms. The Paris Attack have been constructedspecifically for each platform in order to appeal to that platforms chosendemographics.

Toconclude the Paris Attacks of 2015 have been constructed in a diverse rangeacross each of the 3 platforms. The Paris Attack have been constructedspecifically for each platform in order to appeal to that platforms chosendemographics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by tank09
Yeah thats chill

I have uploaded it to the forum
Original post by tank09

thank you so much, honestly you dont understand how much youve helped!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tank09

Reply 32

Aw thats okay. GLad to have helped :smile: I cant send my mock as i dont know how to add pics
Reply 33
Original post by tank09
Dont have a specific print institution to talk about - talk about all of them. HOw diff institutions used different ways...

What do you mean? I'm confused
Reply 34
Does Radio count as a media platform?

I'm thinking of doing Moving Image, Radio, and e-Media.
Original post by Grade
Does Radio count as a media platform?

I'm thinking of doing Moving Image, Radio, and e-Media.

Radio is classed as broadcast, so no. You need broadcast, print and e-media.
ONE DAY TO GO!
How are we all feeling??
Any extra predictions
ONE DAY TO GO!
How are we all feeling??
Any extra predictions

I'm feeling quite prepared. I only need 45 marks to get an A overall but I'm aiming for about 60 if not more. I'm stressing that it will be a website tomorrow as my teacher said they can navigate through a website and that could be classed as moving image. Hopefully not though.

My prediction would be something like synergy? I know my facts so I'm not stressing!
ONE DAY TO GO!
How are we all feeling??
Any extra predictions

not good at all😯 i have no idea what case studies to use!
Guys wasn't this the most beautiful AS Media Paper Ever?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending