The Student Room Group

RAF

After I do my GCSE, A-LEVELS AND UNI COURSE at around the age of 24 I am planning to join the RAF as a pilot officer. How much does it cost to get trained by them and I have glasses but perfect vision with them?
Pilot officer is extremely competitive. If that is your plan then you need to call and ask about your eyesight but I am pretty sure it will exclude you, they don't accept corrected vision. You get paid pretty well throughout training and you don't have to pay anything. From personal experience I have to say don't set your heart on this career, contact your afco, you need to do a lot of research into this role as well.
Reply 3
If you wear, or have worn glasses, I'm 99.999% sure there's no chance for pilot. Don't understand what you mean about costs, do you mean how much does it cost the tax payer to train a pilot to combat ready?
Reply 4
Original post by Dagowly
If you wear, or have worn glasses, I'm 99.999% sure there's no chance for pilot. Don't understand what you mean about costs, do you mean how much does it cost the tax payer to train a pilot to combat ready?

Suspect OP is a WUM.
Hi AJIvin,

As mentioned above, I would strongly recommend speaking to your local AFCO.

Even if pilot doesn't work out, you may be eligible for other roles within the RAF. However it depends what's more important to you... being a pilot, or being in the RAF?

Jordan

Quick Reply

Latest