The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE BIOLOGY UNIT 1 Question Game!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jess Shallcross
FSH- matures the eggs and stimulates the production of oestrogen

Oestrogen- increases the womb lining, inhibits the production of FSH, stimulates the production of LH

LH- stimulates the mature egg to be released

Good :smile:
Original post by JakeAntonyBrown
I'm very well prepared for triple science and maths. Not for history tho.

You?

Im pretty prepared for triple science too, not really maths because i did it last year and we're doing further maths but i'm kind of leaving it to the last minute and luckily we have a really good history teacher but I think french is going to go badly/ i'm just winging it really.
Original post by IAmAnTroll
I'm not sure they'd be a 6 mark question on homestasis. maybe 3 or 4, but I don't think it's broad enough for 6

I also don't think that it is on the lower paper, therefore couldn't be a 6 mark question.
Original post by siobhanx13
It depends on the question but I would guess you would talk about how the ion content is regulated (kidneys), how water content is regulated (how it gets in and is removed from your body) and how the body temperature is regulated, or something along those lines
hope this helps :smile:

- Ion content is regulated by the kidneys: lost by urine
- Water is lost by: sweat, breathing, urine
- Body temp - controlled by brain
-Blood sugar levels - metabolism of cells remove glucose, insulin helps maintain levels
(edited 7 years ago)
Im pretty prepared for triple science too, not really maths because i did it last year and we're doing further maths but i'm kind of leaving it to the last minute and luckily we have a really good history teacher but I think french is going to go badly/ i'm just winging it really.

Also are you doing a levels and if so what?
Original post by dhruvap
Explain how lichens can be used to detect environmental changes.

Lichens can be used the measure the concentration of sulfur dioxide in the air (air pollution). The more lichen the cleaner the air is (less sulfur dioxide).
Original post by CaptErin
FSH --> produced in the pituitary gland, causes an egg to mature and stimulates the production of oestrogen

Oestrogen --> produced in the ovaries, inhibits the production of FSH, stimulates the production of LH and stimulates the thickening of the uterus lining

LH --> produced in the pituitary gland, causes the release of a mature egg

--> Describe how to take and grow an uncontaminated culture (6 marks) <--

Good question.
Firstly, the petri dish is sterilised (optional) and the inoculating loops is sterilised by heating it strongly in the flame of a Bunsen Burner and then letting it cool down. The inoculating loop is dipped in a suspension ofo the bacteria you want to grow and is used to make zig zag streaks across the surface of the agar jelly. The lid is replaced quickly to avoid microorganisms contaminating the culture. Then the lid is sealed with adhesive tape to avoid microorganisms escaping, but not all the way round so oxygen can get in and anaerobic respiration doesnt happen. Lastly, the petri dish is placed into an incubator at 25 degrees celsius in schools ( so pathogens don't grow ) and 37 degrees celsius in industry (most economical, they have special equipment to control growing of harmful pathogens)

Pretty sure that's more than 6 marks :P
Also are you doing a levels and if so what?

Yeah, Maths, Biology, Chemistry and geology. You?
Original post by hafsa473
Describe how living things are involved in the constant cycling of carbon. (6 marks)

Carbon is absorbed from the atmosphere in the form of carbon dioxide by plants for use in photosynthesis. Plants also directly release carbon dioxide back into the atmosphere during respiration.

Animals ingest the carbon as complex proteins when they consume plants for food. Animals release carbon dioxide into the atmosphere when they respire. When plants and animals die, their bodies are decayed by microorganisms. When their bodies are decayed, microorganisms digest the carbon.

Microorganisms release the carbon dioxide back into the atmosphere when they respire.

Some animals are fossilised when they die. When fossil fuels are burnt, carbon is returned to the atmosphere as carbon dioxide via combustion.

--> describe the process of IVF treatment (3 marks) <--
Original post by IAmAnTroll
Good question.
Firstly, the petri dish is sterilised (optional) and the inoculating loops is sterilised by heating it strongly in the flame of a Bunsen Burner and then letting it cool down. The inoculating loop is dipped in a suspension ofo the bacteria you want to grow and is used to make zig zag streaks across the surface of the agar jelly. The lid is replaced quickly to avoid microorganisms contaminating the culture. Then the lid is sealed with adhesive tape to avoid microorganisms escaping, but not all the way round so oxygen can get in and anaerobic respiration doesnt happen. Lastly, the petri dish is placed into an incubator at 25 degrees celsius in schools ( so pathogens don't grow ) and 37 degrees celsius in industry (most economical, they have special equipment to control growing of harmful pathogens)

Pretty sure that's more than 6 marks :P

All of your answers are so detailed dude do you do it at the top of your head?
Yeah, Maths, Biology, Chemistry and geology. You?

Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Psychology
Do you have any idea about what you'd like to do in the future? :smile:
Can someone explain cloning (all off it ) it confuses me so much and Carbon cycle
Original post by hafsa473
All of your answers are so detailed dude do you do it at the top of your head?

Yup, im trying to remember everything and throw it out of my brain, then order it correctly :colondollar:
Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Psychology
Do you have any idea about what you'd like to do in the future? :smile:

Medicine or Biochemistry.

You?
I wanaa be a paramedic but mumma won't let me :frown:
Medicine or Biochemistry.

You?

Oh my! I want to be a doctor!!
Original post by Reachin4TheStars

:frown: Why not?
Original post by Reachin4TheStars

Why not? :smile:
For genetic engineering, in the process, is the gene cut out using enzymes e.g. from a bacteria that kills insects - is the gene then placed into a chromosome of another plant to make it insect proof?
Oh my! I want to be a doctor!!

Hehe :biggrin: :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest