The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE BIOLOGY UNIT 1 Question Game!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reachin4TheStars
I wanaa be a paramedic but mumma won't let me :frown:

Don't let your parents stop your dreams from happening. DO WHAT YOU WANT THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by JakeAntonyBrown
Why not? :smile:

She goes i'm faint hearted, so hurt rn, she the one who cant take blood, jus cuz im scared of flies tho :frown:
Original post by CaptErin
Carbon is absorbed from the atmosphere in the form of carbon dioxide by plants for use in photosynthesis. Plants also directly release carbon dioxide back into the atmosphere during respiration.

Animals ingest the carbon as complex proteins when they consume plants for food. Animals release carbon dioxide into the atmosphere when they respire. When plants and animals die, their bodies are decayed by microorganisms. When their bodies are decayed, microorganisms digest the carbon.

Microorganisms release the carbon dioxide back into the atmosphere when they respire.

Some animals are fossilised when they die. When fossil fuels are burnt, carbon is returned to the atmosphere as carbon dioxide via combustion.

--> describe the process of IVF treatment (3 marks) <--

IVF - collect the egg from the womans ovaries and fertilise them in a lad with sperm. It is then grown into embryos. Once they become small balls of cells, one or two of the cell are transferred into the womans uterus to improve chances of pregnancy.

Why was it hard for scientist to accept semmelweiss' idea? 2 marks
Original post by CaptErin
Carbon is absorbed from the atmosphere in the form of carbon dioxide by plants for use in photosynthesis. Plants also directly release carbon dioxide back into the atmosphere during respiration.

Animals ingest the carbon as complex proteins when they consume plants for food. Animals release carbon dioxide into the atmosphere when they respire. When plants and animals die, their bodies are decayed by microorganisms. When their bodies are decayed, microorganisms digest the carbon.

Microorganisms release the carbon dioxide back into the atmosphere when they respire.

Some animals are fossilised when they die. When fossil fuels are burnt, carbon is returned to the atmosphere as carbon dioxide via combustion.

--> describe the process of IVF treatment (3 marks) <--

IVF treatment involves using a male's sperm cell and a female's egg cell and fertilizing in laboratory conditions (petri dish). They will produce an embryo that is allowed are allowed to duplicate themselves. This is them placed into the womb of the mother.
Wants me to be a pharmacist, EW, EW, EW, EW, EW, EW, EW. Never. :angry:
Hehe :biggrin: :smile:

What history are you doing?
Original post by IAmAnTroll
Good question.
Firstly, the petri dish is sterilised (optional) and the inoculating loops is sterilised by heating it strongly in the flame of a Bunsen Burner and then letting it cool down. The inoculating loop is dipped in a suspension ofo the bacteria you want to grow and is used to make zig zag streaks across the surface of the agar jelly. The lid is replaced quickly to avoid microorganisms contaminating the culture. Then the lid is sealed with adhesive tape to avoid microorganisms escaping, but not all the way round so oxygen can get in and anaerobic respiration doesnt happen. Lastly, the petri dish is placed into an incubator at 25 degrees celsius in schools ( so pathogens don't grow ) and 37 degrees celsius in industry (most economical, they have special equipment to control growing of harmful pathogens)

Pretty sure that's more than 6 marks :P

That sounds perfect! :smile:
Original post by IAmAnTroll
Don't let your parents stop your dreams from happening. DO WHAT YOU WANT THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I completely agree.
Name three things that:
1)Plants compete for
2)Animals compete for
Original post by siobhanx13
What history are you doing?

OCR.

You?
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
Wants me to be a pharmacist, EW, EW, EW, EW, EW, EW, EW. Never. :angry:

Why?
I would be a doc but I ain't clever enough. & My teacher brings me down, she has no right to say that though, how r.u.d.e. :mad: :eek: :unimpressed:
I have 3 exams tomorrow :hmmm: wish me luck
OCR.

You?

Edexcel, I'm going to sleep but good luck for your exams :smile:
Original post by dhruvap
Name three things that:
1)Plants compete for
2)Animals compete for

Plants compete for light, water and nutrients.
Animals compete for food, territory and mates. (I think :biggrin:)

Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of producing GM crops. [5]
Can we stay on the threads topic lol...
Original post by dhruvap
Name three things that:
1)Plants compete for
2)Animals compete for

1) Light, water, space, nutrients in the soil?
2) Food, mates, water, nesting sites, shelter
Original post by dhruvap
Name three things that:
1)Plants compete for
2)Animals compete for

Plants --> water, light, minerals
Animals --> food, water, mates

--> Explain the process of genetic modification (3 marks) <--
Why?

God knows 'aspirations' init, & apparently its a 'respectable profession'. Well to her, so is a paramedic so she can poke her nosey out of ma business :biggrin:
Original post by dhruvap
Name three things that:
1)Plants compete for
2)Animals compete for

Plants - space, light, water
Animals - territory, food, mate

How do synapses work? (3 marks)

Quick Reply