The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE BIOLOGY UNIT 1 Question Game!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dhruvap
IVF treatment involves using a male's sperm cell and a female's egg cell and fertilizing in laboratory conditions (petri dish). They will produce an embryo that is allowed are allowed to duplicate themselves. This is them placed into the womb of the mother.

Perfect :smile:
Original post by hafsa473
I have 3 exams tomorrow :hmmm: wish me luck

Good luck & read the question twice b4 answering.

Q: What are genetically modified (GM) crops? Describe two advantages of genetically modified crops. (3 marks)
the energy transfer from biomass and food chains
Original post by siobhanx13
Edexcel, I'm going to sleep but good luck for your exams :smile:

You too. :smile:
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
God knows 'aspirations' init, & apparently its a 'respectable profession'. Well to her, so is a paramedic so she can poke her nosey out of ma business :biggrin:

LOL, all I can say is that it is your life, so do as YOU want.
Original post by surina16
Plants compete for light, water and nutrients.
Animals compete for food, territory and mates. (I think :biggrin:)

Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of producing GM crops. [5]

Advantages are that they have higher yields, they may be resistant to diseases so more likely to survive, they may be able to grow in extreme conditions e.g. during flooding and ma be resistant to herbicide so it is easier to kill weeds. They also may have desirable characteristics. Disadvantages are that they often can't produce seeds so the farmer may have to buy them anew every year
(which is expensive) and no-one knows what effect adding extra genes to plants can have on the environment and on humans

What is a stent and what is it used for?
She goes i'm faint hearted, so hurt rn, she the one who cant take blood, jus cuz im scared of flies tho :frown:

LOL :biggrin:
Original post by Elleee1234
what is metabolic rate

The rate of chemical reactions in the body.
Original post by dhruvap
Can we stay on the threads topic lol...

Yes, we should. :biggrin:
Original post by surina16
Plants compete for light, water and nutrients.
Animals compete for food, territory and mates. (I think :biggrin:)

Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of producing GM crops. [5]

GM crops are beneficial for farmers as they allow a larger yield of crops with minimum effort, this helps to increase profits. Furthermore the fact they can be resistant to pesticides and herbicides allows them to grow all year round. They are also beneficial to countries with poverty as they allow them to have food to survive (Drop in veg prices). On the other hand GM crops decrease the gene pool out there and there is a chance that the GM plants fertilize with Weed to produce Super weeds that cannot be killed by herbicides, furthermore there are concerns that they may cause allergies
Asking her for a massage LMAO, been writing to much iniii :biggrin:
Original post by katodizzle
The rate of chemical reactions in the body.

Perfect. :biggrin:
Original post by IAmAnTroll

Q: What are genetically modified (GM) crops? Describe two advantages of genetically modified crops. (3 marks)

GM crops are crops that have been genetically altered to make them 'better' by adding factors that could aid survival. For instance, they could be modified to be resistant to insects and herbicides/insecticides.
1. GM crops can be resistant to disease.
2. Improved food quality.
Plants - space, light, water
Animals - territory, food, mate

How do synapses work? (3 marks)

Synapses work by converting an electrical impulse to a chemical messenger that diffuses along the synapse where it is picked up by receptor sites and converted back into an electrical impulse carrying the same message.
If any of yous ppl need help den' ya'll can ask meh cuz I dun core science, like b1, c1, and p1, last yr so yanno :smile:
Original post by IAmAnTroll

GM crops are plants that have been modified. They are used in agriculture.
2 ADVANTAGES:
- Resistance to diseases - Increase profit yields
- Efficient and sustainabloe

Good luck to you too!

--> Give and example of a performance-enhancing drug. Give and advantage and disadvantage of using performance enhancing drugs. (3 marks) <--
Original post by dhruvap
GM crops are beneficial for farmers as they allow a larger yield of crops with minimum effort, this helps to increase profits. Furthermore the fact they can be resistant to pesticides and herbicides allows them to grow all year round. They are also beneficial to countries with poverty as they allow them to have food to survive (Drop in veg prices). On the other hand GM crops decrease the gene pool out there and there is a chance that the GM plants fertilize with Weed to produce Super weeds that cannot be killed by herbicides, furthermore there are concerns that they may cause allergies

Great answer.
Name 3 non living detectors of changes in the environment (3 marks)
What is thalidomide now used to treat?
Plants - space, light, water
Animals - territory, food, mate

How do synapses work? (3 marks)

An electrical signal is sent along a neuron which is received at a synapse and then is released by a synapse which then travels along the gap in between the two synapses until it reaches the other synapse then its detected by the other synapse which is then send as an electrical impulse along the other neuron

Give one advantage and one disadvantage of thalidomide? (2 marks)
If any of yous ppl need help den' ya'll can ask meh cuz I dun core science, like b1, c1, and p1, last yr so yanno :smile:

Is the paper hard? lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending