The Student Room Group

University tuition fees set to rise again

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ironandbeer2
If you've been born into upper or even middle class, quite a damn lot. Of course there same people will judge those not quite as lucky by their own standards. Except when the same people surpass them, then it's "luck" lol

Not really. It's just you've been fortunate enough to have the costs paid for. Doesn't mean they don't exist in the first place.

There's no such thing as a free lunch.
Original post by Exceptional
To warrant fee increases, I think more evidence should exist that you're being offered greater opportunities with what you're paying for. But, with diminishing graduate starting salaries, higher quality apprenticeships coming into fruition, as well as university not feeling very exclusive considering just about anybody can get in, I don't see how it's justifiable to pay more.

If you read the article, then you will see its only certain unis that can reach certain standards. Quite easy that anyone can decie to not ho to those unis and choose a cheaper one.
Original post by Plagioclase
So once again, regarding undergraduate education - no, it's not significantly better in the UK than Europe. League tables don't tell you a huge amount about the quality of undergraduate education in the first place, particularly not international league tables since all of their metrics are largely wholly irrelevant for undergraduates. The higher education system of Germany, for instance, is outstanding. The fact that they haven't got an Oxbridge doesn't change the fact that it serves their undergraduate population as a whole just as well as the British system. Except their system doesn't punish their population with a working-life's worth of fee repayments.

I never said higher education in Germany wasn't outstanding. Simply that it's even better in the UK.
Also I hate to break it to you, but German universities aren't funded by wishes and goodwill. There is no entitlement without obligation. Entitlements are paid for, in the end, by the taxpayer. The German system simply spreads the punishment over everyone regardless of whether they went to university or not.

And why should people be taxed for doing something that society as a whole needs for development? It never ceases to amaze me why some people have a total lack of appreciation for the concept of a society. We pay taxes for a reason, to fund things that benefits everyone. Investing in higher education is no different from investing in other basic societal infrastructure, like roads or the healthcare system. Using your logic, people with poorer health or people in flood-prone areas or people who use the roads a lot should be taxed more too. The fact that this system isn't as broken as, for instance, America doesn't mean that it's right. It's not a race to the bottom.

You want low-earning school leavers to contribute to the cost of a high flying graduates degree even though they could easily afford to pay for it themselves, but I'm the one who doesn't appreciate the concept of society?
'Society' is not simply having everything billed to the taxman. 'Society' is about those with the broadest shoulders carrying the heaviest burdens.
I can't reiterate this enough- the current UK system is more progressive. Students pay nothing when they study, and pay back more when they earn more. Those who directly benefit the least pay the least.
You're argument also would hold some weight if no one was going to university, but they are. It would be one thing if no one was getting a degree level education now, and we needed to take drastic action. But no, we're still educating our workforce, hundreds of thousands of people are still going to university, the only difference now is that we're doing it in a more progressive fashion.
Put it another way, the government is willing to sub you 50k at generous rates to better yourself and people are still complaining! But no, no self-entitlement here, none at all...
Original post by 999tigger
If you read the article, then you will see its only certain unis that can reach certain standards. Quite easy that anyone can decie to not ho to those unis and choose a cheaper one.

I know, but lowering your expectations and cutting yourself off from a university with the highest teaching standards for the sake of money isn't an education system I'd be happy with.
Investing in higher education is no different from investing in other basic societal infrastructure, like roads or the healthcare system.

No it's not.

I plan to never use my degree. I am doing it for a 'backup' and just to 'develop' me. I am more than happy to pay for every penny myself, but unfortunately the tax payer will still contribute.

Now, what does the tax payer get out of people like me?
(edited 7 years ago)
Helloooo debt
I know, but lowering your expectations and cutting yourself off from a university with the highest teaching standards for the sake of money isn't an education system I'd be happy with.

It makes perfect sense. Your education is an investment, so its either worth the price or not, in which case choose a cheaper one. the reason it cna charge more is because it makes more financial sense.
Original post by pol pot noodles
I never said higher education in Germany wasn't outstanding. Simply that it's even better in the UK.
Also I hate to break it to you, but German universities aren't funded by wishes and goodwill. There is no entitlement without obligation. Entitlements are paid for, in the end, by the taxpayer. The German system simply spreads the punishment over everyone regardless of whether they went to university or not.

It is not a punishment. It is taking the cost for higher education for where it should come from, i.e. taxes. Germans do not have an issue with this because contrary to the British public, they seem to appreciate the idea of a society and social responsibility.

You want low-earning school leavers to contribute to the cost of a high flying graduates degree even though they could easily afford to pay for it themselves, but I'm the one who doesn't appreciate the concept of society?
'Society' is not simply having everything billed to the taxman. 'Society' is about those with the broadest shoulders carrying the heaviest burdens.
I can't reiterate this enough- the current UK system is more progressive. Students pay nothing when they study, and pay back more when they earn more. Those who directly benefit the least pay the least.
You're argument also would hold some weight if no one was going to university, but they are. It would be one thing if no one was getting a degree level education now, and we needed to take drastic action. But no, we're still educating our workforce, hundreds of thousands of people are still going to university, the only difference now is that we're doing it in a more progressive fashion.
Put it another way, the government is willing to sub you 50k at generous rates to better yourself and people are still complaining! But no, no self-entitlement here, none at all...

Completely agree with the bolded text which is precisely why the cost of university should come from taxes. The wealthiest in society, whether they went to university or otherwise, pay more and the poorer in society, regardless of whether they went to university or otherwise, pay less. If you think that there's too much inequality, which I would totally agree with, raise the taxes for the wealthy. Rather than sheltering the wealthy as this government is doing.

Your argument about those who directly benefit the least paying the least would be more understandable if it wasn't for the fact that you pay interest and inflation on the student loans, which means for a significant spectrum of incomes, your debt rises at a greater rate at which you're paying it back. Those on the highest incomes will actually pay less for their university education than those who do manage to eventually pay off their loan, but not until it has accumulated a lot of interest.

Original post by hezzlington
No it's not.

I plan to never use my degree. I am doing it for a 'backup' and just to 'develop' me. I am more than happy to pay for every penny myself, but unfortunately the tax payer will still contribute.

Now, what does the tax payer get out of people like me?

Hopefully your degree has aided your development as a person even if you're not directly applying the things you've learned for your career. If you want to pay for every penny yourself you are very welcome to pay the extra back into HMRC. Or donate the money to charity.
It makes perfect sense. Your education is an investment, so its either worth the price or not, in which case choose a cheaper one. the reason it cna charge more is because it makes more financial sense.

It would widen the inequality gap - those from low income families might be persuaded by the price of university and opt for a cheaper one, so aim for lower grades. Wealthy people would study at the higher priced institutions, and I presume there'd be a correlation between high quality teaching and the overall quality of the university, meaning the wealthier students at the high cost universities would also look more desirable by certain, more selective employers.

Rather, you should be wiser with your decision. It costs the same to study at Cambridge as Bolton. It makes financial sense to invest the same money into the service that's going to facilitate your development. Therefore, you should be inspired to try as hard as you can at school to give yourself more possibilities to invest in something that's better value for the same price.
Reply 90
I think I'm the lucky generation, I was the last year that paid the 3000 pounds a year tuition fees.
It looks like a joke now, I feel so sorry for you guys....I feel they are doing this to lower university numbers. A bachelors degree these days has no weight compared to what it had 40 years ago. Too many poor courses and more and more new businesses (sorry, universities) opening up.

I was also looking at MSc fees and they are rising in general, way above inflation mind you. The course I did on my MSc has gone up from 9000 pounds to 10650 pounds in 2 years, nearly a 20% increase....way way above inflation.

Might as well just privatise education at this rate.
It would widen the inequality gap - those from low income families might be persuaded by the price of university and opt for a cheaper one, so aim for lower grades. Wealthy people would study at the higher priced institutions, and I presume there'd be a correlation between high quality teaching and the overall quality of the university, meaning the wealthier students at the high cost universities would also look more desirable by certain, more selective employers.

Rather, you should be wiser with your decision. It costs the same to study at Cambridge as Bolton. It makes financial sense to invest the same money into the service that's going to facilitate your development. Therefore, you should be inspired to try as hard as you can at school to give yourself more possibilities to invest in something that's better value for the same price.

No they wouldnt. If ab Oxvrudge degree cost 50% more you would still go there.

The idea that because some unis charge more for places, then that would cause students to aim for lower grades is stupid. people are going to wnat to go to the best unis they can and as they arent paying up front, then rising fees isnt going to be a problem. It is one for the government though becayse a lot of the money is never repaid.

Hopefully your degree has aided your development as a person even if you're not directly applying the things you've learned for your career. If you want to pay for every penny yourself you are very welcome to pay the extra back into HMRC. Or donate the money to charity.

Absolutely, but this shouldn't be billed to the tax payer. This 'development' doesn't benefit society, and any 'development' that does occur can easily be attained outside of university.
Original post by ghajok45
I think I'm the lucky generation, I was the last year that paid the 3000 pounds a year tuition fees.
It looks like a joke now, I feel so sorry for you guys....I feel they are doing this to lower university numbers. A bachelors degree these days has no weight compared to what it had 40 years ago. Too many poor courses and more and more new businesses (sorry, universities) opening up.

I was also looking at MSc fees and they are rising in general, way above inflation mind you. The course I did on my MSc has gone up from 9000 pounds to 10650 pounds in 2 years, nearly a 20% increase....way way above inflation.

Might as well just privatise education at this rate.

sigh im going to suffer.... my dream of going to lse has dwindled. I cant afford this
So once again, regarding undergraduate education - no, it's not significantly better in the UK than Europe. League tables don't tell you a huge amount about the quality of undergraduate education in the first place, particularly not international league tables since all of their metrics are largely wholly irrelevant for undergraduates. The higher education system of Germany, for instance, is outstanding. The fact that they haven't got an Oxbridge doesn't change the fact that it serves their undergraduate population as a whole just as well as the British system. Except their system doesn't punish their population with a working-life's worth of fee repayments.

And why should people be taxed for doing something that society as a whole needs for development? It never ceases to amaze me why some people have a total lack of appreciation for the concept of a society. We pay taxes for a reason, to fund things that benefits everyone. Investing in higher education is no different from investing in other basic societal infrastructure, like roads or the healthcare system. Using your logic, people with poorer health or people in flood-prone areas or people who use the roads a lot should be taxed more too. The fact that this system isn't as broken as, for instance, America doesn't mean that it's right. It's not a race to the bottom.

like this :unsure: ... http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/10718686.Wirral_rate_payers_could_face_hefty_sea_defence_bill/

-----
TBH I think universities are currently only weakly incentivised to produce employable graduates but very highly incentivised to produce cheap to teach courses and fill them up, even with marginal students if that's who they can attract. Maybe unis need more 'skin in the game' as the americans put it - some degree of risk sharing with the tax payer?
Reply 95
yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
No they wouldnt. If ab Oxvrudge degree cost 50% more you would still go there.

The idea that because some unis charge more for places, then that would cause students to aim for lower grades is stupid. people are going to wnat to go to the best unis they can and as they arent paying up front, then rising fees isnt going to be a problem. It is one for the government though becayse a lot of the money is never repaid.

Whether you accept it or not, fees influence some people to forego university, and the concept of higher fees exacerbates that. You previously said that if students want to go to a cheaper university, then they can. That's acknowledgement that some people will opt for cheaper choices, and the people most likely to do that are from low income backgrounds. Therefore, if they're applying to lower priced institutions, which are likely to have lower grade expectations, then of course many applicants are going to 'aim' for the grades demanded by that university, because where's the incentive to exceed them?
Reply 97
Now to the flip side...this does have benefits for some people

If you happen to be rich, yet not so super smart, you can essentially buy yourself the degree at this rate. This leads to a case where you have rich average intelligence people going to top universities and poor smart people going to less strong universities.

Now if they were to completely eliminate the ceiling on tuition fees and let the market dictate it, through supply and demand, you could really see this horrible rich/poor hypothesis come into effect.

I mean why not do it, they've done it to the masters degree, you can't do a top masters degree at a top university if you are poor. They might as well put the final nail in the coffin, the system is broken enough as it is.

And mind you the universities want to charge what they want, universities are run like businesses, the vice chancellors job is to make as much money for the university as he can.
Somebody has to pay the costs of providing your higher education. Why should it be my nan and the postman, as you seem to want it to be? You're in many cases going to university precisely so that you can be better off than these people.

It's an opt-in tax that you can choose to take on if you consider that the benefits outweigh the costs. If you don't consider that they do, don't opt in for it.
Whether you accept it or not, fees influence some people to forego university, and the concept of higher fees exacerbates that. You previously said that if students want to go to a cheaper university, then they can. That's acknowledgement that some people will opt for cheaper choices, and the people most likely to do that are from low income backgrounds. Therefore, if they're applying to lower priced institutions, which are likely to have lower grade expectations, then of course many applicants are going to 'aim' for the grades demanded by that university, because where's the incentive to exceed them?

1. Its good that some people are influenced and decide uni is not worth getting into debt for, because its not suitable for all. There are too many people who go, when they might have veen better doing soemthing vocational and less expensive.

2. The Unis which might do price rises are only oing to eb those who cna meet certain targets. they will offer a more attractive product in terms of employability, so they can raise their prices and still be value for money. the market cna decide if its wiorth it or not as students can decide to go elsewhere. It doesnt have to be people from cheaper backhrounds at all.

At the front end the cost of a uni coirse is picked up by the government. No student is going to be put off by paying say 25% more for the extra benefit of going to a good uni. That would be flase economy.

If students had to find the money themselves and pay up front then obviously it would have an effect, but they dont have to. they get the fees paid 100%.

3. This idea that you will aim for lower grades is a nonsense. they can still go to Oxbridge. Nobody is going to study for poorer grades just because they have to pay an extra £5k, 10k or 15k of government debt they might never pay back anyway.

People will want to get into the best unis. As long as the govvernment is covering the fees 100% up front, then they arent going to be put off by paying a small amount of extra debt especually if they know the degree will pay for itself. Its an investment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending