The Student Room Group

Edexcel b1 16th may asap

Can someone explain the nitrogen cycle to me that is simplified but would still get full marks - we are definitely getting the carbon cycle or the nitrogen cycle tomorrow
6 marker:biggrin:escribe all the processes involved in the nitrogen cycle.Plants and animals cannot directly use nitrogen gas. They need to get it from nitrogen containing substances. Nitrogen in the air can be fixed into ammonia using nitrogen fixing bacteria in the soil or nitrogen fixing bacteria in root nodules of legumes (mutualistic relationship). Plants can use ammonia, but they grow better with nitrates. Nitrifying bacteria can convert ammonia into nitrates. Lightning can provide enough energy to combine nitrogen and oxygen in the air, forming nitrates. Animals eat the plants containing nitrogen compounds which will be used to make proteins etc in their biomass. Some nitrogen compounds will be excreted into the environment in faeces or urine. When plants or animals die, decomposers break down urea and proteins into ammonia. Sometimes, there is a lack of oxygen in the soil so denitrifying bacteria converts nitrates into nitrites and others convert nitrites into nitrogen gas.
Ive literally posted this on so many forums. only took me about 6 mins to do by memory
Good luck btw :smile:
Original post by Zellaforever
Can someone explain the nitrogen cycle to me that is simplified but would still get full marks - we are definitely getting the carbon cycle or the nitrogen cycle tomorrow

Nitrogen gas is converted into nitrogen compunds by the fixing bacteria which is in root nodules. Plants then absorb nirtogen from the soil ands it may be eaten by animal to produce animal protein. Urea and proteins decomposers including soil bacteria into ammonia. Decomposers break down dead animals to turn nitrogen in the soil as amonia.
Then denitrifying bacteria just converts nitrates to nitrogen.
Original post by TSlayerr
Ive literally posted this on so many forums. only took me about 6 mins to do by memory
Good luck btw :smile:

Thanks
Original post by Zafirah.1
Nitrogen gas is converted into nitrogen compunds by the fixing bacteria which is in root nodules. Plants then absorb nirtogen from the soil ands it may be eaten by animal to produce animal protein. Urea and proteins decomposers including soil bacteria into ammonia. Decomposers break down dead animals to turn nitrogen in the soil as amonia.
Then denitrifying bacteria just converts nitrates to nitrogen.
thankyou this is so understanding
No problem, let's just hope I remember tomorrow.
Original post by Zafirah.1
No problem, let's just hope I remember tomorrow.
good luck, do you understand the auxins thing? I'm praying it's not in it

Looks like I'm not the only auxins screws around with
Really hoping it doesnt show either
Reply 9
Original post by TheShadoWolf
Looks like I'm not the only auxins screws around with
Really hoping it doesnt show either

I HATE auxins and gibberellins with a passion - only problem is, phototropism and plant responses didn't come up last year!
Original post by L0st45
I HATE auxins and gibberellins with a passion - only problem is, phototropism and plant responses didn't come up last year!

Do you know if it should in the Jan paper
Original post by L0st45
they really confuse me! Last year had it easy

Yes all you need to know for that is auxins is a plant hormone which makes shaded part elongate. So its produced at the the tip of the shoot where they cause elongation of the cells. If a shoot is grown with light coming from only one direction, auxins move to the shaded part of the shoot and that sides elongates more which causes the shoot to grow towards the light.
screen_shot_2012-03-23_at_11.10.02_am-resized-600.jpg.png
Original post by TSlayerr
6 marker:biggrin:escribe all the processes involved in the nitrogen cycle.Plants and animals cannot directly use nitrogen gas. They need to get it from nitrogen containing substances. Nitrogen in the air can be fixed into ammonia using nitrogen fixing bacteria in the soil or nitrogen fixing bacteria in root nodules of legumes (mutualistic relationship). Plants can use ammonia, but they grow better with nitrates. Nitrifying bacteria can convert ammonia into nitrates. Lightning can provide enough energy to combine nitrogen and oxygen in the air, forming nitrates. Animals eat the plants containing nitrogen compounds which will be used to make proteins etc in their biomass. Some nitrogen compounds will be excreted into the environment in faeces or urine. When plants or animals die, decomposers break down urea and proteins into ammonia. Sometimes, there is a lack of oxygen in the soil so denitrifying bacteria converts nitrates into nitrites and others convert nitrites into nitrogen gas.

This is so helpful, thanks!
Reply 14
Original post by TheShadoWolf
Do you know if it should in the Jan paper

It doesn't come up very often so, unfortunately, I think it has a sting chance of coming up today.
Original post by sophxo99
This is so helpful, thanks!

Np :smile: Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest