The Student Room Group

Does death scare you?

Scroll to see replies

I drive myself to having panic attacks about this often, it makes me fear for whether or not there is such a thing as an afterlife and then I question any and all religions and then the universe itself. I'm terrified of the thought of there being just nothing after death. I'm not a religious person, but at times when I am forced to lay awake at night because I'm over thinking things, I really wish I were religious, for some kind of hope for an afterlife, some peace of mind.

When I was ten years old I had a bout of severe anxiety over death after a lesson on Greek mythology and the underworld, it terrified me to the point of near depression. Since then I've on and off felt this way but recently more than ever, I've had this deep gutting feeling of how fragile life is and how death is so very final...

As I'm typing this I'm actually freaking out... :redface:
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
I think, for me, its the fear of being forgotten :redface:

I always get confused when people say this. Why would people want to die being remembered if there's no one to tell them after death?
@TheonlyMrsHolmes

Reminds me of this guy I speak to at the care home. If your worried at such a young age imagine thinking the same thoughts but at 103...
I'm not really scared of death because my last breath on earth will be the first one in heaven. Either that or I go to sleep for a bit and then go to heaven when Christ returns.

I am far more concerned about my mode of death, if it will be painful or peaceful
Original post by Profesh
Yes: specifically, I fear that it's overrated.

Is this a Skyrim reference?

LMAO!! :toofunny:
Original post by Nicoley-oley
I drive myself to having panic attacks about this often, it makes me fear for whether or not there is such a thing as an afterlife and then I question any and all religions and then the universe itself. I'm terrified of the thought of there being just nothing after death. I'm not a religious person, but at times when I am forced to lay awake at night because I'm over thinking things, I really wish I were religious, for some kind of hope for an afterlife, some peace of mind.

When I was ten years old I had a bout of severe anxiety over death after a lesson on Greek mythology and the underworld, it terrified me to the point of near depression. Since then I've on and off felt this way but recently more than ever, I've had this deep gutting feeling of how fragile life is and how death is so very final...

Death isn't final, it's simply a transition from one life to another.

How can you disbelieve in Allah when you were lifeless and He brought you to life; then He will cause you to die, then He will bring you [back] to life, and then to Him you will be returned. (2:28)
Well I didn't exist for billions of years before now, so not existing after death can't be that bad?
That's what I'll tell myself anyway...
I wish I believed in god so that I could live my life peacefully believing that there was some sort of paradise at the end of it, when in reality it'll most likely be an eternity of absolutely nothing, which is harder to imagine...
No, not right now anyways. Might be different when I'm actually dying. I'm not religious so I don't believe in an afterlife. Hope it's a quick one
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I know it happens to everyone, but if I think about it deeply enough I honestly I get on the verge of having a panic attack. Just the thought of your existence being no more, the complete loss of feeling, good or bad. Just the loss of touch with reality and then in most peoples cases leaving your loved ones behind...never to feel anything ever again.

(Obviously that is if you don't believe in an after life or God etc)

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1gwp3u/what_is_it_about_death_that_scares_you/

Procrastination led me too reddit :redface:

I swear I've made this thread before, aha oh well XD Clearly I'm still not over the fear of this inevitable thing that will eventually happen to me one day...

You see I'm afraid of death as well. Sometimes so much that I want to press the exit button in my head. I want to cry and shout and scream and I'm in a terrible pain ,because even our universe is gonna die one day. Time and space are gonna melt themselves leaving nothing but an empty black sea. Even if next 100 generations remember you all this has to stop somewhere. And here comes the why ? Where is the point in all of this? Many times I thought , it's just a video game it can't be reality and when I think of it in this way I'm succesful and happy with my life but in many moments I'm so terribly lonely and afraid , I guess just as the majority of population. It really helps when I hear from someone : Yeah I'm afraid as well, you are not as alone as you might think.
Not in the slightest :no:
Yes. I don't spend my spare time thinking about it though. Death it self doesn't scare me, its where I'm end up that does. Dying I can deal with. Where I end up? Yeah, that is scary as heck.

Also sometimes I think about who would show up at my funeral if I died, and how my family would think of me since I'm not a very social person. That is what I spend my time thinking about once a while, lol.
Where you end up afterwards... :iiam:

But it is not something to waste years thinking about. There are other things to be doing, like skiing or crazy rollercoasters. That is always fun.
Not death itself but rather how it comes to me and when. However, the true horror is thinking about what's after it.
Original post by champ_mc99
@TheonlyMrsHolmes

Reminds me of this guy I speak to at the care home. If your worried at such a young age imagine thinking the same thoughts but at 103...

They are scared of death too? Oh god, I thought the fear disappears over time!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Original post by SeanFM

But it is not something to waste years thinking about. There are other things to be doing, like skiing or crazy rollercoasters. That is always fun.

You really wanna know where you end up don't you
Original post by SeanFM

Rollercoasters are the best! :colondollar:

Saw is my fave, I know it's not the "craziest" but it gives me a thrill like no other rollercoaster can...
They are scared of death too? Oh god, I thought the fear disappears over time!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm retty sure it's more likely to build up the older you get. :tongue:

I haven't been there for a month. Don't really how old Ian is doing. :redface:

Saw is my fave, I know it's not the "craziest" but it gives me a thrill like no other rollercoaster can...

Lol mine too. I wanted to go Alton Towers and try the smiler but after that accident...
Original post by Nicoley-oley

Sorry, I didn't mean to make you freak out! I know how you feel though, I'm not religious but sometimes I lay awake wishing there was some God, or someplace to look forward too after we die. Or a next life, to know that my spirit doesn't just end here. Just the reassurance of knowing that it doesn't all just end. I mean, I want to believe we all have some sort of purpose on being here, why else would we have life? Y'know, like out of all the failed sperm meeting the egg, we survived!! Surely then we have some purpose!

Idk, I just hope I am truly, truly happy in this life time so death seems alright, "the next step", idk but if I die tonight or tomorrow, my life was just a waste of time....XD

Forget Saw the rollercoaster, Saw the walking thingy is much scarier. :noway: especially when you accidentally get lost from the group :blushing:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending