The Student Room Group

University tuition fees set to rise again

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ComputerMaths97
Lies

You're just lying, stop it.

My family are in huge debt, I have not a single penny to my name. But guess what, I'm still going to University.

Want to know why? Because I know that if I work hard enough it is beyond worth my time, and it's exactly the same for everyone else.

The only problem is that everyone else is lazy and doesn't put the effort in so claims costs are holding them back when in reality it's their grades.

We'll see if you're still saying that once you've graduated.
Original post by TenthBelt1993
The reason why its not a logical fallacy is:

I went to one of the best academic institutions in the country doing one of the most academic subjects, as such almost all other degrees are way less rigorous/academic.

Even accounting for me being one person, the fact that there are so many degrees that are probably 5% as academic as mine allows my point to be valid.

Your anecdote is not an anecdote because you went to a good university and because your course was academically rigorous...?

Original post by TenthBelt1993
(Plus almost all people I know who graduated from oxford [and other top universities] feel exactly the same)

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/100/Hasty_Generalization
I hope they uncap them completely just so I can bathe in the student left's tears.
It isn't worth going already, in the information age this is an incredibly stupid policy which will probably kill the industry in the long term.
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
It isn't worth going already, in the information age this is an incredibly stupid policy which will probably kill the industry in the long term.

Yeah, as witness the crumbling US university sector. Such woes has the market wrought there.
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
what's wrong with wanting to get an education without having to pay for it?You know, some of us aren't so loaded that we could easily splash out on degrees.I have a friend who's absolutely desperate to go to university but she worries she can't because she might not be able to afford it.And what, you like the fact that the poorer people would be excluded from unis? Even if they have the sheer intelligence to be able to go to one?

There's nothing wrong with wanting a sports car or a manor house without having to pay for it. That doesn't mean you're going to get it, or even that you should.

Your friend ought to google it. She'll likely find out that she will of course be able to afford it, by way of generous, taxpayer-funded loans.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Yeah, as witness the crumbling US university sector. Such woes has the market wrought there.

You sound like a raging Thatcherite so I don't see why you don't get my argument, an increasing technology market and third party education should see a significant decline in traditional means of learning in the future, especially if it is not going to be affordable for most people.
Original post by 16characterlimit

I don't know why you seem to doubt this, a rise in price will lead to a fall in demand.

He doubts it, because it is not universally true. There are goods, Veblen Goods and Giffen Goods where demand rises as the price rises. There is an increasing suspicion that higher education is a Veblen Good
Original post by nulli tertius
He doubts it, because it is not universally true. There are goods, Veblen Goods and Giffen Goods where demand rises as the price rises. There is an increasing suspicion that higher education is a Veblen Good

Having read what a Veblen Good is it's ironic that anyone stupid enough to be prey to these should invest in education. They need it at least.
Original post by J'zargo
I tend to agree, provided that the money is truly being spent on raising education standards. I mean at the end of the day it's called further education and we choose to do it for our own personal gain so I guess it's fair that we pay for it ourselves.

Original post by pol pot noodles
Not against the concept in the slightest. Higher education funding has to come from somewhere so it's probably for the best if it's seen that graduates are taking that burden. Try telling that to self-entitled students though.
Don't agree with the corporate for-profit universities though, but hey ho if there's a demand...

J'zargo has hit the nail on the head - if the entire increase goes directly towards teaching, then I think it's a proposal that's worth considering. If, however, it's not used for this, I don't think that it's fair to expect students to paid even higher fees.
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
You sound like a raging Thatcherite so I don't see why you don't get my argument, an increasing technology market and third party education should see a significant decline in traditional means of learning in the future, especially if it is not going to be affordable for most people.

I made the point above: it is affordable for most people, and that isn't going to change.

Nor do I see any particular problem with competition and innovation in the higher education sector. If the market could provide a better alternative to university education for some proportion of students that would be great.
Original post by toronto353
J'zargo has hit the nail on the head - if the entire increase goes directly towards teaching, then I think it's a proposal that's worth considering. If, however, it's not used for this, I don't think that it's fair to expect students to paid even higher fees.

I don't think fairness is of much interest to many of them, teaching already has significant issues with contact time, to raise the price without some adjustment would be taking people for fools, but I suppose they know their market quite well.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
There's nothing wrong with wanting a sports car or a manor house without having to pay for it. That doesn't mean you're going to get it, or even that you should

It has already been explained multiple times that they already do pay for it. I guess it's just easier to ignore the arguments which you cannot refute.
Original post by bob5124
It has already been explained multiple times that they already do pay for it. I guess it's just easier to ignore the arguments which you cannot refute.

I responded directly to the following comment:

what's wrong with wanting to get an education without having to pay for it?
Just charge Non-English students more, simple.
Original post by The_Opinion

I suppose by "Non-English" you mean International students rather than the kids from Abergavenny, Antrim and Arbroath, but wouldn't it make better sense to charge the international students less than at present?
Reply 135
Most people won't pay off the £9k so increasing the money is arbitrary at best. all it will do it increase the amount the government pays to unis and people won't be hit by it.
Also, either this will go into teaching/research which is good but will mean that the unis who can't get the money and who need to improve don't get the funds to do so; or it just goes to the bosses of the uni in which case it is the government giving rich people more money which isn't worth it.
Honestly, this isn't putting me off going to university, but surely this means that the government will be even more out of pocket due to the sheer number of students that will not be able to pay off the loan...

As for the idea of raising entry requirements, maybe this is necessary for prestigious universities, but why should the opportunity of higher education be ripped away by the people who may not be as academically minded as others but can perform their chosen job just as efficiently given the right education. As someone who has more average grades than the typical A grader, I can say that I work extremely hard but when it comes to an exam, I have trouble maintaining information, but on the practical side of things I excel, there are people like me that are failed by this system and if entry requirements are significantly raised for every university then who the hell will have a chance.

I can't say I'm very politically minded so I do apologise if I have any facts wrong...
Original post by The_Opinion

Then they go elswehere and the unis are force to charge home students more. genius.
I would support a system that ensured cost was kept down for the most important and University necessary courses e.g. Maths, The Sciences, Engineering etc and then charge more for the courses where University isn't the only course e.g. Drama, Sports Science etc. You cans till them but you should be expected to pay for a course that may not be necessary and won't benefit the country much. This should also encourage more people into STEM courses.
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
what's wrong with wanting to get an education without having to pay for it?

You know, some of us aren't so loaded that we could easily splash out on degrees.

I have a friend who's absolutely desperate to go to university but she worries she can't because she might not be able to afford it.

And what, you like the fact that the poorer people would be excluded from unis? Even if they have the sheer intelligence to be able to go to one?

Then youre friend is a moron as well as others who say they cant "afford it". Its not even like a typical loan what isnt there to afford by that, i can assume shell be entitled to the full 8200 loan which is more than enough to live off for a year. After wards you pay back such minuscule amounts which you never actually see anyway, and after a certain number of years its wiped off.

You make out "splashing on degrees" is something as a luxury, when getting education is for the good of your future. Poor people arent excluded from unis because some do offer scholarships and you have the full loan which way more than enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending