The Student Room Group

Government to introduce Sharia compliant student loans for Muslims

The government has announced a Halal scheme to encourage more Muslims to attend university, specifically, student loans that don't garner interest.

The good news is everyone can apply, so we can all have Halal loans. While the set up is different the amount paid back is said to be the same, as it will be classed as a charitable donation and the loan itself will be drawn from a community fund (that's the public purse to you and me). Hopefully the scheme will be self sufficient within a few generations after enough loans have been repaid in. I mean after enough charitable donations have been made.

Of course, details are still being finalized, the government is currently working on a way to make the 'charitable donation' legally binding...legally binding charitable donations, that must be paid and is deducted from your salary. Isn't that a fun thought, it's just a 'wizard' idea. Kudos Cameron !

Is this a step in the wrong direction if we want to encourage integration, or is that not a thing anymore ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3593821/Sharia-students-loans-not-conflict-rules-Islam-offered-time-drive-Muslims-university.html

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by HanSoloLuck
The government has announced a Halal scheme to encourage more Muslims to attend university, specifically, student loans that don't garner interest.

The good news is everyone can apply, so we can all have Halal loans. While the set up is different the amount paid back is said to be the same, as it will be classed as a charitable donation and the loan itself will be drawn from a community fund (that's the public purse to you and me). Hopefully the scheme will be self sufficient within a few generations after enough loans have been repaid in. I mean after enough charitable donations have been made.

Of course, details are still being finalized, the government is currently working on a way to make the 'charitable donation' legally binding...legally binding charitable donations, that must be paid and is deducted from your salary. Isn't that a fun thought, it's just a 'wizard' idea. Kudos Cameron !

Is this a step in the wrong direction if we want to encourage integration, or is that not a thing anymore ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3593821/Sharia-students-loans-not-conflict-rules-Islam-offered-time-drive-Muslims-university.html

Education is the best, most peaceful at least, solution to get over some of the integration problems a lot of British Muslims face. Helping them go to school is certainly a plus, as long as it isn't countering our rights.
They will end up paying interest in all but name but if it makes them happy and comfortable to borrow money for university, then I don't see the problem.
Reply 3
I wouldn't be surprised if they get charity while the rest of us get loans. It's always one thing for them and another for the rest of us.

What happened to coming to a country and living by that country's laws? Oh right, they are Muslim so they have higher preference over the national laws. We are seeing halal become the main food in our schools and public institutions, we are seeing halal slaughter instead of our own choice of slaughter, we are seeing sharia practices arise in Muslim communities, we are seeing Islamic infiltration in our schools, isn't multiculturalism just great!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by oShahpo
Education is the best, most peaceful at least, solution to get over some of the integration problems a lot of British Muslims face. Helping them go to school is certainly a plus, as long as it isn't countering our rights.

It's a paradoxical situation. In order to promote education to Muslims that would otherwise be unable, unwilling would be a better word, to enter higher education they have had to create a parallel entry program. It's based on the assumption it will pay dividends towards integration.

But we know that education is not the answer to Islamism or fundamentalism within Muslim demographics, so the return isn't likely to be worth the divisiveness of the scheme.

It would have been better to encourage Muslims to relinquish some of their religious biases and enter University just like everyone else, rather than becoming more Shariah compliant.
Original post by oShahpo

Not really, talking about education being a solution to terrorism / non-integration is utter nonsense that the left come out with. Many terrorists have been highly educated and even attending Western universities, they are simply not related.
Reply 6
Original post by oShahpo

Like others have said, plenty of moslem terrorists and other ''radicals'' have come from educated and/or wealthy backgrounds (9/11, 7/7, Boston bombings, jihadi ''brides'' runaways etc). Educating moslem won't do much in terms of ''integrating'' them as long as they believe a hyper-violent and hateful book from thousands of years ago is the literal word of an imaginary skylord. Reform needs to come from within, like with most religions. But how can you reform perfection?
As long as they pay the same amount back over the period, then it makes no difference to me.
Original post by 999tigger
As long as they pay the same amount back over the period, then it makes no difference to me.

expect you will help pay the bill for this.
If anyone wants that kind of loan, how will they be able to even finish university?
Original post by BaconandSauce
expect you will help pay the bill for this.

What bill would that be? Its just a different way of repaying the same amount of money back. Doesnt affect me.

Education is a good thing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
I didn't understand how it works...

Good thing- everybody will be able to use both ways, and if it's the same amout at the end, I don't mind.
Original post by 999tigger
What bill would that be? Its just a different way of repaying the same amount of money back. Doesnt affect me.

Education is a good thing.

The admin costs for this will not all be paid by those who benefit from it but it will be paid by all students (and yes there will be extra admin costs)

Yes it is a good thing but given the burden is it right we shoulder more because of a minorities attitude toward perfectly acceptable fiance?

But yes it does affect you as it will affect all of us.
Original post by lNurl
I didn't understand how it works...

Good thing- everybody will be able to use both ways, and if it's the same amout at the end, I don't mind.

Nope running 2 systems in parallel will incur extra costs that we will all have to pay.
Reply 14
I don't see why concessions need to be made by government for anyones hobbies.
Reply 15
Original post by BaconandSauce
Nope running 2 systems in parallel will incur extra costs that we will all have to pay.

you mean tax rise? I hope not!!!
Can I create a religion called Kieranism and request that is is not my belief to repay loans and hence get uni for free then please??????????????????????
Original post by lNurl
you mean tax rise? I hope not!!!

It will included in your fees to cover the extra cost that administrating this will incur.

as we know nothing in life is free and running 2 systems in parallel with have extra costs and these will be paid by everyone.
Halal loans .. I don't even know what to say anymore .. and this is the "conservative" party
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by CarlTheCuck
Halal loans .. I don't even know what to say anymore .. and this is the "conservative" party

In a few years, we'll have halal cars, halal flats, halal roads, halal schools, halal computers, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending