The Student Room Group

AQA AS History Tudors 1485-1547 Exam

What are the key things to know that are most likely to come up in the exam? I don't want to dedicate too much time to revising obscure things such as exploration if they are unlikely to come up. Is it most likely foreign policy, government, finance, nobility and consolidation of the 2 kings?

Scroll to see replies

It's hard to tell seeing as it's a new exam, I'd make sure you know everything! Our teacher said that he thought finance and foreign policy might come up. Maybe you could speak to your teacher; they might have some better ideas?
Because it's a breadth study, do you think we could get a comparison question - like on the foreign policy of the two Henrys - or is it more likely to be specific to one king?
I find there's too much in depth information we have to know for this! :/
Original post by Book-Girl
Because it's a breadth study, do you think we could get a comparison question - like on the foreign policy of the two Henrys - or is it more likely to be specific to one king?
I find there's too much in depth information we have to know for this! :/

They might ask questions such as;
“In the years 1485-1547 English economy and society was completely transformed.” Do you agreeor disagree with this statement.
“The Treaty of Medina Del Campo was the main reason why the Tudors secured their dynasty in theyears 1485-1547” Do you agree or disagree with this statement.
“The navigation acts were responsible for the development of trade in the years 1485-1509”Do you agree or disagree with this statement."

But who knows? It might be specific to one king, but maybe practice some comparison just in case.
Foreign policy and the nobility have already come up under the henry vii question on the specimen papers (btw we get a choice of 2 questions one on hvii and one on hviii! ) so i would take a guess that it would be either finances, parliament, coronation/marriage or rebellions??! Not completely certain as you can never know till the real thing!!! GOOD LUCK x
Has anyone done a question during the year on the faction under Henry VIII? I'm not really sure what they could ask us about it :/
Has anyone done a question during the year on the faction under Henry VIII? I'm not really sure what they could ask us about it :/

The factional struggles between Conservatives & Reformers, stuff like Cromwell and that stuff :smile:

My teacher went on a course and apparently for the essay questions they're likely to be very broad, spanning 20 years or across both of the reigns :frown:
Original post by pixiejoanna
Foreign policy and the nobility have already come up under the henry vii question on the specimen papers (btw we get a choice of 2 questions one on hvii and one on hviii! ) so i would take a guess that it would be either finances, parliament, coronation/marriage or rebellions??! Not completely certain as you can never know till the real thing!!! GOOD LUCK x

That's not how the papers have been set out? Knowledge essays you do get two questions, but they're apparently likely to span twenty years and are on a broad topic, not just on one King

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
consolidation of power during henry vii's reign came up in a specimen as did finances so I doubt they will come up in the real exam. But you never know they might do. Ques from henry viii's reign might come up - I don't think they'll ask you about both in one question though. although they could ask something about henry vii's legacy destroyed by henry viii?
Original post by kiiten
consolidation of power during henry vii's reign came up in a specimen as did finances so I doubt they will come up in the real exam. But you never know they might do. Ques from henry viii's reign might come up - I don't think they'll ask you about both in one question though. although they could ask something about henry vii's legacy destroyed by henry viii?

Gods knows :frown: apparently the courses and stuff my teachers have been on have made the course seem more like a depth study instead of a breadth :/
At my school we've been taught Tudors as depth, and Cold War as breadth just through bad teaching
ooh I hope so - I think I could answer that question!
For the extract questions, what's the best way to set out your answer? or what works well?
ooh I hope so - I think I could answer that question!
For the extract questions, what's the best way to set out your answer? or what works well?

This is what we've been told

Spend 5-10 mins annotating facts & opinions

Then:
Intro
Sum up main message of each extract & say which is most convincing

Extract 1
Why is it convincing? Use facts & analytical language throughout, not just at beginning and end (So don't do an entire paragraph beginning "Extract One is convincing because.... facts... this makes extract one convincing), that will apparently only be level 3/4
Why is it unconvincing? Again use language throughout
Don't go outside of the source!!!! You can say it misses something from the topic (for example if it's about rebellions under HVII&HVIII but misses out the Pilgrimage of Grace, you can talk about that) but don't say it misses failures in foreign policy or something if it says about rebellions, this won't lose marks but won't gain and it wastes time.

Extract 2
Do the same

If you can, cross reference either during the source (we were given two for homework on different dynastic threats during HVII, Simnel & Warbeck and one said Simnel, one said Warbeck so could be cross referenced throughout) or do it at the end, don't feel you have to do whole paragraphs on it though

Conclusion
Sum up everything, which one is most convincing? Why? Should be at least 10 lines
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by JessThomas6
Gods knows :frown: apparently the courses and stuff my teachers have been on have made the course seem more like a depth study instead of a breadth :/
At my school we've been taught Tudors as depth, and Cold War as breadth just through bad teaching

:frown: same ive been taught Russia really badly - I have that exam on the 25th when is your Cold War exam. My Tudors teacher thinks that they might make the questions easier this year as its the first year of the new spec so they don't want schools to leave the exam board - I hope this is true
Original post by kiiten
:frown: same ive been taught Russia really badly - I have that exam on the 25th when is your Cold War exam. My Tudors teacher thinks that they might make the questions easier this year as its the first year of the new spec so they don't want schools to leave the exam board - I hope this is true

25th - all paper 2 ones are then
We've been taught Tudors on the old edexcel spec, just adding some new bits in which is really frustrating, there's way too much detail
I'm hoping AQA have done the same as they did for psychology, which was cover key themes broadly and hope that's all good :s-smilie:
Reply 14
25th - all paper 2 ones are then
We've been taught Tudors on the old edexcel spec, just adding some new bits in which is really frustrating, there's way too much detail
I'm hoping AQA have done the same as they did for psychology, which was cover key themes broadly and hope that's all good :s-smilie:

Hmm, what do you mean by that like finances in general etc.? Please could you write an example ques
Original post by kiiten
Hmm, what do you mean by that like finances in general etc.? Please could you write an example ques

So for example one we got in class was "The Performance of the English economy remained weak in the reigns of HVII & HVIII" Explain Why You Agree or Disagree With this View

So you'd mention finances in there, but that seems to be a more extract based question, so two extracts and then "Based on your understanding of historical context, which extract gives a more convincing interpretation of royal finance under HVII/HVIII"
Reply 16
So for example one we got in class was "The Performance of the English economy remained weak in the reigns of HVII & HVIII" Explain Why You Agree or Disagree With this View

So you'd mention finances in there, but that seems to be a more extract based question, so two extracts and then "Based on your understanding of historical context, which extract gives a more convincing interpretation of royal finance under HVII/HVIII"

Ughh nooo - that's too open, I hope they don't include both monarchs. :'(
Original post by kiiten
Ughh nooo - that's too open, I hope they don't include both monarchs. :'(

It's a breadth study so they might
What sort of things could I write for 'Henry VIII was content to allow ministers to rule for him'
Good Luck to evryone taking the exam tommorow
Original post by Caraca234
What sort of things could I write for 'Henry VIII was content to allow ministers to rule for him'
Good Luck to evryone taking the exam tommorow

WOLSEY!!!!!!!!!!! Wolsey was viewed as Alter Rex etc. Then maybe Cromwell, Cranmer etc? Main view for agreement would be Wolsey though
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply