The Student Room Group

Most distressing incident

Have you had some close calls, nasty experiences, violent encounters?

What's your most frightening / distressing / harrowing road incident?

Scroll to see replies

I was driving my car one day and was forced to pass through Swindon. It was awful. It still haunts me to this day.
When I had first started driving I was attempting an overtake of a bus, second guessed myself and took too long to come out. Van was coming in the opposite direction so I had to quickly come back in behind the bus and brake hard to avoid hitting the back of the bus. Extremely stupid thing to do and now I make sure I'll definitely have enough time to pass whatever's in front of me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Specifically relating to driving?
Original post by Blondie987
Specifically relating to driving?

that's why they call it 'cars and motoring'.
Had my car, couple years old new style Ford Ka. Green. Life was good.

Went on a road trip with mates the day after getting it from the dealer, fine.

Next day go to pick my sister up from school and some **** van driver couldn't control his breaks and came rolling down the hill towards my car and by the time I realised bam car ruined.

Got my car back a month later and driven nearly 15,000 miles since though :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Vitamin D
When I had first started driving I was attempting an overtake of a bus, second guessed myself and took too long to come out. Van was coming in the opposite direction so I had to quickly come back in behind the bus and brake hard to avoid hitting the back of the bus. Extremely stupid thing to do and now I make sure I'll definitely have enough time to pass whatever's in front of me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Kieran1996
Had my car, couple years old new style Ford Ka. Green. Life was good.

Went on a road trip with mates the day after getting it from the dealer, fine.

Next day go to pick my sister up from school and some **** van driver couldn't control his breaks and came rolling down the hill towards my car and by the time I realised bam car ruined.

Got my car back a month later and driven nearly 15,000 miles since though :biggrin:

I had a van driver get out and smash my bonnet with his fist because, well, I guess he was just having a bad day.

...always the ****ing vans
Someone pulled out in front of me whilst I was riding my motorbike and T-Boned me pretty hard.
I was doing 25mph at the time, him maybe 5-10mph.

Entirely his fault.

Ached for a good few days, bike was a Cat D write off.
Original post by XMaramena
I had a van driver get out and smash my bonnet with his fist because, well, I guess he was just having a bad day.

...always the ****ing vans

Bloody hell

I actually find van drivers worse than lorry drivers

Original post by fr0sr_
Someone pulled out in front of me whilst I was riding my motorbike and T-Boned me pretty hard.
I was doing 25mph at the time, him maybe 5-10mph.

Entirely his fault.

Ached for a good few days, bike was a Cat D write off.

What was the dudes reaction? did he just come out or try to drive off?
I took a wrong turn and was spotted by an unmarked police car. When he bowled up to my car and I wound the window down he asked "Do you know why I stopped you?" Annoyed, I foolishly replied "No, I'm not a f***** mind-reader."
Most distressing incident, ahem...
Reply 10
The only distressing incidents I go through are when idiotic people drive incredibly slow in front of me e.g. driving at 20 mph on a 30 road - SO FRUSTRATING!
Original post by Kieran1996
What was the dudes reaction? did he just come out or try to drive off?

He just looked surprised really.
Got out of his car (some VW 4x4, was rather big - so I did feel it quite a bit!), checked I was OK, and we exchanged details.

As soon as I got up (pretty instantaneously) I was pretty p-ed* off, but I contained myself before approaching him.

*If that gets me a warning for "swearing" like all my past "warning's" have, these admins are s-..*
My first drive was down a private road near Boveney Lock (Here!), as my dad's the lock keeper at the next lock upstream from there. I had yet to get my provisional at that time, but the car was fully insured and good to go. I started off by easing off the handbrake and footbrake and steering it out from around a bend, with gravity being the only propellant! The road was basically dirt and pebbles, so nothing too fast. Dad instructed me to try out the accelerator, and the car jumped forward with me only pressing down ever so slightly. I realise I'm going along way too fast, and so I slam on the brakes, but I didn't realise that my foot was still on the accelerator, and the car really didn't like that. I got pretty frightened, but it didn't dissuade me from going after my provisional!

Flash forward a year, and I'm planning to try again pretty soon, as I really want to unlock the freedom that comes with being able to drive.
I've been a passenger with a woman in the driver's seat. Never again...
Original post by Vitamin D

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same thing happened with me. :frown: Close call.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Destoroyah
My first drive was down a private road near Boveney Lock (Here!), as my dad's the lock keeper at the next lock upstream from there. I had yet to get my provisional at that time, but the car was fully insured and good to go. I started off by easing off the handbrake and footbrake and steering it out from around a bend, with gravity being the only propellant! The road was basically dirt and pebbles, so nothing too fast. Dad instructed me to try out the accelerator, and the car jumped forward with me only pressing down ever so slightly. I realise I'm going along way too fast, and so I slam on the brakes, but I didn't realise that my foot was still on the accelerator, and the car really didn't like that. I got pretty frightened, but it didn't dissuade me from going after my provisional!

Flash forward a year, and I'm planning to try again pretty soon, as I really want to unlock the freedom that comes with being able to drive.

Did you have your left foot on the brakes? Remember - left foot always stays on the clutch. Or the carpet.
(Don't drive, but I have a road story)

Once me and my friend were on a main road walking home from school, an old lady from the other side was waving at us from the window. My friend thought she was dying or something and decided to help her, I followed her.

The old lady opened her window fully on the side of the main road (my friend was standing on the main road), I was standing at the front of the old ladies car, and it turns out all the lady wanted was directions. Anyway, a bus came and it almost hit my friend. She was like an inch away from the bus hitting her, it was terrifying.

Sometimes you just don't think...
Reply 17
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
(Don't drive, but I have a road story)

Once me and my friend were on a main road walking home from school, an old lady from the other side was waving at us from the window. My friend thought she was dying or something and decided to help her, I followed her.

The old lady opened her window fully on the side of the main road (my friend was standing on the main road), I was standing at the front of the old ladies car, and it turns out all the lady wanted was directions. Anyway, a bus came and it almost hit my friend. She was like an inch away from the bus hitting her, it was terrifying.

Sometimes you just don't think...

Where I live, the bus drivers are generally quite careful and considerate. They even wait past schedule at the train station if the incoming train is delayed a few minutes. Would be perfect if it wasn't on a blind corner for all the other road users trying get around!
Original post by XMaramena
Did you have your left foot on the brakes? Remember - left foot always stays on the clutch. Or the carpet.

The Civic's a semi-automatic, so no clutch. In my panic I forgot to realise that I was meant to turn my foot off the gas to press on the brakes! I guess it was just a knee-jerk reaction to use my 'spare foot' to push down on the brake pedal instead.
Reply 19
Original post by Destoroyah
The Civic's a semi-automatic, so no clutch. In my panic I forgot to realise that I was meant to turn my foot off the gas to press on the brakes! I guess it was just a knee-jerk reaction to use my 'spare foot' to push down on the brake pedal instead.

Odd reaction. I drive an auto, never once gone to use my left foot on the brakes. Although apparently that's what they're starting to teach now for automatic cars.

Quick Reply

Latest