The Student Room Group

Edexcel economics unit 1 and 2 retakes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arthurhutch000
Said tax upon sales so suggests that it's tax per unit maybe? but big ambiguous so they may accept both

I was so rushed for time, so I didn't really pay that much attention to the extracts, I jut picked out the stuff I needed! Ah I really hope so! That makes sense for it to be specific though, hopefully they won't be too mean...
Original post by emilia_claire
I was so rushed for time, so I didn't really pay that much attention to the extracts, I jut picked out the stuff I needed! Ah I really hope so! That makes sense for it to be specific though, hopefully they won't be too mean...

it was written in the question unfortunately :frown: i'm sure you'll be fine, as long as you showed the consumer and producer share of the tax (incidence of tax) and showed appropriate price and quantity changes i'm sure you'll still get majority of the marks!
Original post by fkaclocksx
anyone answer question 10 and want to share what they put?

a) I defined renewable and non renewable energy and gave examples

b) I mentioned how it reduces the output of coal if we use renewable energy which means less pollution and how resources would be sustainable if renewable energy is used instead of non renewable

C) unemployment falls. Productivity increases which causes output to increase. For evaluation I mentioned the disadvantage of decision of labour and how it might cause employment to fall.

D) definition of subsidy. revenue for the firms increases, unemployment falls, other firms might enter the market and consumer and producer surplus increases. Evaluation : opportunity cost. Firms might become less competitive.

E) definition of external costs. Example of external costs of renewable energy e.g negative impact on environment. External costs diagram.
Evaluation: benefits of renewable energy. Difficulties of measuring the negative externalities.

That's all I can remember.
Original post by Gigimini
a) I defined renewable and non renewable energy and gave examples

b) I mentioned how it reduces the output of coal if we use renewable energy which means less pollution and how resources would be sustainable if renewable energy is used instead of non renewable

C) unemployment falls. Productivity increases which causes output to increase. For evaluation I mentioned the disadvantage of decision of labour and how it might cause employment to fall.

D) definition of subsidy. revenue for the firms increases, unemployment falls, other firms might enter the market and consumer and producer surplus increases. Evaluation : opportunity cost. Firms might become less competitive.

E) definition of external costs. Example of external costs of renewable energy e.g negative impact on environment. External costs diagram.
Evaluation: benefits of renewable energy. Difficulties of measuring the negative externalities.

That's all I can remember.

Yup
A) non-renewable cannot be used again e.g. coal, renewable can be used again wind energy (literally made it up :/)
B) less pollution, prevents shortage of energy as gas becomes less reliable p.s did you put any diagrams for a or b ??
C) i spoke about productivity and output :frown: and for eval mentioned staff turnover and costs
D) employment, revenue, eval- inefficiency and monopoly, magnitude and dependency
E) decrease in the value of homes nearby, negative effects on tourism and employment- eval difficult to attach monetary value, and the benefits such as the creation of 70,000 jobs

i just hope i done well :frown:(
Original post by catchmeinthe
I did a negative production externality diagram for the 9(e). Then I explained how pollution permits would reduce the social costs but I didn't show this reduction in the diagram. Would I still get full marks for the graph or would I lose marks?

I did the same :redface:
Original post by arthurhutch000
it said a tax upon sales, so its a tax on volumes so i think it's specific tax, sorry

Ah well.
Does anyone remember the titles of the iron ore commodity questions?
Original post by catchmeinthe
I did a negative production externality diagram for the 9(e). Then I explained how pollution permits would reduce the social costs but I didn't show this reduction in the diagram. Would I still get full marks for the graph or would I lose marks?

is this correct???????????????
for 10e i did a diagram and explained about negative externalities etc and evaluated, i also did another point which was about economic effect of renewable energy, however it was not talking about the externalities, is this point still relevant for question e?
danm i got one mcq wrong ... the producer surplus one :/
i wrote that renewable energy sources are "non-exhuastible" is that even a word :P I hope the examiner gets what i was saying :P will i lose a mark
Made the worst mistake of my life... Read through it too quickly and thought there was only one 14 mark, so I missed out the second 14 mark question completely... DAMN!
Original post by fkaclocksx
Yup
A) non-renewable cannot be used again e.g. coal, renewable can be used again wind energy (literally made it up :/)
B) less pollution, prevents shortage of energy as gas becomes less reliable p.s did you put any diagrams for a or b ??
C) i spoke about productivity and output :frown: and for eval mentioned staff turnover and costs
D) employment, revenue, eval- inefficiency and monopoly, magnitude and dependency
E) decrease in the value of homes nearby, negative effects on tourism and employment- eval difficult to attach monetary value, and the benefits such as the creation of 70,000 jobs

i just hope i done well :frown:(

Nooor I haven't done diagram for that, although it would've been great. I just developed my points e.g how there going to be less pressure on nhs since there will be less health issues due to reduction of using non renewable energy.
Seems you did well! Hopefully the grade boundaries wont be too high.
Original post by ThatIsNotMyName
Made the worst mistake of my life... Read through it too quickly and thought there was only one 14 mark, so I missed out the second 14 mark question completely... DAMN!

Same but time pressure vs not knowing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gigimini
Nooor I haven't done diagram for that, although it would've been great. I just developed my points e.g how there going to be less pressure on nhs since there will be less health issues due to reduction of using non renewable energy.
Seems you did well! Hopefully the grade boundaries wont be too high.

okay neither did i! you seem to have done well too. Just worried i messed up on the MC but fingers crossed for good boundaries :smile:
Reply 175
Original post by A-LevelEconomist
What data response did you do..

I did the one about iron ores. I think most of the multiple choice questions were good. What did everyone put for the buffer stock scheme question? I said the government will sell wheat from its stockpile as in 2016 it had a bad harvest.

For the YED question I said that the income elasticity ofdemand I think was it for fish was greater than the other one (I can't remember all the meats)- I put down D. For the very first question I also put D as producing more capital goods results in long term economic growth. For the producer surplus I said technology will increase producer surplus as costs of production will be lower.

Does anyone remember the other MCQ's??

Hey, do you know the one about ppfs, I put down the reason for growth being higher at point W (where more capital goods are) will be greater because the more capital goods are used, the greater economic growth is likely to be as capital is a determinant of growth. I knocked out one of the options and said that the opp cost of producing 50 consumer goods is 10 capital goods. Would this be fine?
Original post by amg96
Hey, do you know the one about ppfs, I put down the reason for growth being higher at point W (where more capital goods are) will be greater because the more capital goods are used, the greater economic growth is likely to be as capital is a determinant of growth. I knocked out one of the options and said that the opp cost of producing 50 consumer goods is 10 capital goods. Would this be fine?

yes man sounds good. However, the opportunity costs I got for capital goods at both consumer outputs were 80 capital goods and not ten.
Reply 177
Original post by A-LevelEconomist
yes man sounds good. However, the opportunity costs I got for capital goods at both consumer outputs were 80 capital goods and not ten.

Well, the ppf curve was curved and not a straight line, therefore the opportunity cost cannot be constant. I remember that when consumer goods were at 0, the economy was using 130 capital goods and when they shifted to using 50 consumer goods (point w the point where 50 consumer goods were used and 120 capital goods were used), the capital goods used were at 120 therefore 10 were given up.
Original post by gigimini
a) i defined renewable and non renewable energy and gave examples

b) i mentioned how it reduces the output of coal if we use renewable energy which means less pollution and how resources would be sustainable if renewable energy is used instead of non renewable

c) unemployment falls. Productivity increases which causes output to increase. For evaluation i mentioned the disadvantage of decision of labour and how it might cause employment to fall.

D) definition of subsidy. Revenue for the firms increases, unemployment falls, other firms might enter the market and consumer and producer surplus increases. Evaluation : Opportunity cost. Firms might become less competitive.

Evaluation: Benefits of renewable energy. Difficulties of measuring the negative externalities.

That's all i can remember.

i practically did the same as you !!!!
Original post by amg96
Well, the ppf curve was curved and not a straight line, therefore the opportunity cost cannot be constant. I remember that when consumer goods were at 0, the economy was using 130 capital goods and when they shifted to using 50 consumer goods (point w the point where 50 consumer goods were used and 120 capital goods were used), the capital goods used were at 120 therefore 10 were given up.

Alll i remember is that the opportunity cost for two of my right calculations were 80.

Quick Reply

Latest