The Student Room Group

The Same Argument Every Single Day

Scroll to see replies

Get a job, move out, travel. :tongue: What's so hard?

Well, you'd probably have to cut ties with your family if they're still bitching at you. It's sad and really stupid.
Luckily my parents aren't like that and wouldn't even let me get married until after I've graduated lol.
Try to explain to your parents that you're not opposed to marriage, you just want to wait until after you've completed your degree and would like to gain some independence and experience before marriage. You're still young so there's no need to rush into marriage! If you can't reason with your parents maybe if you have any relatives with similar views as you, you could get them to talk with your parents? Sorry if my advice is not useful I'm not really sure what to say :tongue:
Reply 22
Original post by champ_mc99
Wow I thought you were a guy. Judging by your MJ avatar and your tone. At least yohr not basic.

Why don't you just tell them you just tell them you DO want to get married but at a later age due to studies etc. At least you'll stall.

And wtf? Arab guys are pretty sexy imo. #nohomo

O really? oops :colondollar: :lol:

I've tried that but they're like uni life = SINS

lol their brains aint... well most of them x3
Original post by z33
O really? oops :colondollar: :lol:

I've tried that but they're like uni life = SINS

lol their brains aint... well most of them x3

They're not letting you go uni? Do you want to go?
Reply 24
They're not letting you go uni? Do you want to go?

no no no
i mean
they WANT me to go to uni - but the uni life will apparently make me sin (tho i'm not a ****ing mindless zombie I know what i'm doing so that won't be a problem but I'm a girl and girls can't think about anything except sex apparently ¬_¬) so they want me to get married before then

i guess I'll figure something out... maybe i can convince them to let me move into student accomodation (there might be a small chance they agree) and then GTFO and never turn back :lol:
but that's gonna be like a whole year from now cos am taking a gap year T_T
Reply 25
Original post by newttella

Well, you'd probably have to cut ties with your family if they're still bitching at you. It's sad and really stupid.

everything :lol: I'm not allowed to move out or travel unless I've got some dude who I'm tied to 5evah

probably... if i could xD thanks tho <3
Original post by z33
Why was I born with a vagina? Did I ask for this smh :cry2: :colonhash:

Sometimes being born with a big dingly dong isn't great. Especially when it comes to those raging boners in tight jeans, they hurt a ton

you can dry moist panties but a stick of hard meat is pretty difficult to get down sometimes....
Reply 27
Original post by thefatone
Sometimes being born with a big dingly dong isn't great. Especially when it comes to those raging boners in tight jeans, they hurt a ton

you can dry moist panties but a stick of hard meat is pretty difficult to get down sometimes....

um... tape it to your stomach and try not to pee :lol:
Original post by z33
no no no
i mean
they WANT me to go to uni - but the uni life will apparently make me sin (tho i'm not a ****ing mindless zombie I know what i'm doing so that won't be a problem but I'm a girl and girls can't think about anything except sex apparently ¬_¬) so they want me to get married before then

i guess I'll figure something out... maybe i can convince them to let me move into student accomodation (there might be a small chance they agree) and then GTFO and never turn back :lol:
but that's gonna be like a whole year from now cos am taking a gap year T_T

Oh right. Married before uni... :s-smilie:

EDIT: Just read the bit in bold again. Lmfao! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
Oh right. Married before uni... :s-smilie:

ikrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Original post by z33
um... tape it to your stomach and try not to pee :lol:

lol tape it to my stomach and it might fall out like this

Original post by z33
everything :lol: I'm not allowed to move out or travel unless I've got some dude who I'm tied to 5evah

probably... if i could xD thanks tho <3

But if you had a job, you would not need to rely on them financially. You are an adult and therefore can leave whenever you want. You don't have to listen to them.
Original post by z33
sighhhhhhhhh :sigh:

I swear every ****ing day I get into the same bloody argument with my parents I talk to them about my future and how I plan to spend my gap year and all I get is "you have to get married if you wanna travel the world and move out and do as you please"

like da*** I'm barely 18 yet why da*** would I get married now,

and secondly I ain't marrying no Arab Muslim guy they're (well most of them are) so ****ing closed minded I can't talk to someone like that let alone spend my life with them.
Like I'd rather stay celibate my entire life than have to marry one of them. Why can't I have my own life? Make my own decisions? Why does authority over me get passed down straight from my parents to my husband like when do I get to have MY say about MY life?

And as if arguing about that ain't enough,
all I get is "every other girl is getting married", "if you don't get married you're going to commit sin and sleep around", "if a girl says she doesn't wanna get married it means that she already has someone - who is it?", "why don't you wanna get married? who doesn't wanna get married?"

UGHEROGHOFJOIJASCOIJVKEAMNVOANSOIDJQOIWJFEORIJG

/rant

inb4 I regret this thread but it's pissing me off. How do I get it into their heads that just because I don't get married doesn't mean I'm gonna be a slut or get raped or any of that ******** :colonhash: ?
anyone been through anything similar?

Ask for evidence, where is this happening? I don't see this happening at your age at all... unless they're fools or really are prepared for life.

Because personally i see it as a waste of time and money and it keeps you binded so pretty much limited freedom(not saying i'll be a man sloot and try and **** anything with a pulse)

me i don't wanna get married, waste of time and money like i said.

What sort of logic are your parents using? retard logic or something?? what evidence is there to show because you don't get married you're gonna be a slut/raped??? what case studies have there been to show this? Don't forget however correlation doesn't always equal causation (for all those weird correlated things)

The bolded text is what's so hard, especially when one is 17 and hasn't yet completed A Levels. :tongue:
Original post by BookBird
That sucks, sorry you have to go through that. Do they want to arrange your marriage? Or are they expecting you to just go out there and find someone to marry asap? If it's the latter, maybe you could try sitting down with them and explaining how love comes naturally, and that they can't just expect you to find a husband at your age. You mentioned that you've tried talking to them about your future plans, maybe you could go even further? Like, make a PowerPoint detailing what you want to do during your gap year and after... really make them see how serious you are about your future, and perhaps they'll realise that you aren't just planning on messing around. Good luck though x

Saitama on point
Reply 35
Original post by Hydeman
The bolded text is what's so hard, especially when one is 17 and hasn't yet completed A Levels. :tongue:

Hey hey am almost 18 and A levels will be done by July :colonhash: :thumbsup:

But if you had a job, you would not need to rely on them financially. You are an adult and therefore can leave whenever you want. You don't have to listen to them.

What jobs pay best? That an 18 year old fresh out of A levels with no experience (except that 1 week in the bodyshop in year 10 :rolleyes:) can get? :3
Original post by z33

Still, it's not easy, since one can only do unskilled jobs that don't require experience, of which there aren't many. Not to mention that you won't be the only one competing for them. :holmes:

You never know, though. :biggrin:
Reply 37
Original post by Hydeman
Still, it's not easy, since one can only do unskilled jobs that don't require experience, of which there aren't many. Not to mention that you won't be the only one competing for them. :holmes:

You never know, though. :biggrin:

Yeah that's true :frown: I'll get a job at that Body Shop place I worked at in year 10, they said they'd take me back if I ever needed a job so that's good. And then I'll apply to Aldis :colone:
Original post by z33
sighhhhhhhhh :sigh:

I swear every ****ing day I get into the same bloody argument with my parents I talk to them about my future and how I plan to spend my gap year and all I get is "you have to get married if you wanna travel the world and move out and do as you please"

like da*** I'm barely 18 yet why da*** would I get married now,

and secondly I ain't marrying no Arab Muslim guy they're (well most of them are) so ****ing closed minded I can't talk to someone like that let alone spend my life with them.
Like I'd rather stay celibate my entire life than have to marry one of them. Why can't I have my own life? Make my own decisions? Why does authority over me get passed down straight from my parents to my husband like when do I get to have MY say about MY life?

And as if arguing about that ain't enough,
all I get is "every other girl is getting married", "if you don't get married you're going to commit sin and sleep around", "if a girl says she doesn't wanna get married it means that she already has someone - who is it?", "why don't you wanna get married? who doesn't wanna get married?"

UGHEROGHOFJOIJASCOIJVKEAMNVOANSOIDJQOIWJFEORIJG

/rant

inb4 I regret this thread but it's pissing me off. How do I get it into their heads that just because I don't get married doesn't mean I'm gonna be a slut or get raped or any of that ******** :colonhash: ?
anyone been through anything similar?

I can definitely relate to the not being allowed to travel without a husband, although my parents know I'm far to young to get married...

Although my dad said the other day "a gap year? why do you need a gap year? You need to get married or go to university" and I'm like....erm....wtf dad? I'm obviously going to university AFTER my gap year...and I'm not getting married. :colonhash: Why would I get married? Like what would I even do of I got married? :/ I think he was just trying to scare me into not taking a gap year though...

This girl I know just got married, someone else I know is engaged to be married by next year (she is 19), it is scary. Just because they didn't go to university...

It is your life, work through out your gap year and refuse any marriage invitations that come your way!
Original post by z33

What jobs pay best? That an 18 year old fresh out of A levels with no experience (except that 1 week in the bodyshop in year 10 :rolleyes:) can get? :3

Well, leaflet distribution for example requires no experience and it can pay like 8 pounds an hour sometimes (6.70 is like minimum wage so that's really good). Also, mcdonalds hires most anyone though it is luck and confidence in the interview also I guess it depends on the mcdonalds. Ya, fast food places are pretty low in standards for whom they hire. Shops and other places, even bars may be hiring. Just walk around where you live. If there's a now hiring in front, give your cv and you may get lucky that way too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending