The Student Room Group

[Official Thread] OCR MEI AS Mathematics 2016 (C1, C2 & S1)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kennyboy69.5
how many sig figs are you supposed to round to in S1? Mark scheme uses from 2 to 5 it seems random...
also would you get marked down for using too many?

3 to 4 significant figures should be good - anything above that or below that and they'd dock you marks :frown: - how are you finding revision going for maths in general?
Original post by greys-anatomy
3 to 4 significant figures should be good - anything above that or below that and they'd dock you marks :frown: - how are you finding revision going for maths in general?

okay ill stick to that. I found this "Discretion must also be exercised in the case of small variations in the degree of accuracy to which an answer is given. For example, if 3 significant figures are expected (either because of an explicit instruction or because the general context of a problem demands it) but only 2 are given, loss of an accuracy ("A") mark is likely to be appropriate; but if 4 significant figures are given, this should not normally be penalised"

so it seems like 3 to 4 in general and then always use 4 dp for binomial probability stuff.
I was bricking it earlier but not too worried now. C1 is dialled. just S1 that can be tricky.
is anyone else crapping it for C2

Me! Its one of the worst topics in my opinion!
Original post by Amyherdman
Me! Its one of the worst topics in my opinion!

Honestly need to do so well in C1 and S1 because i just know I'm gonna fail C2 ahaha.
Got any predictions for section B of C1? - or do you think it'll be the normal graphs and circles etc
Honestly need to do so well in C1 and S1 because i just know I'm gonna fail C2 ahaha.
Got any predictions for section B of C1? - or do you think it'll be the normal graphs and circles etc

me too! I've already accepted that I'm failing, i don't really know, but I don't mind as I quite like all of C1

If you look at all the OCR MEI papers, they also seem to repeat and follow the same trend in all papers but they just word the questions differently. So there probably will be graph and circle questions and what normally comes up like binomial expansions etc
Original post by ABeingOnEarth
Hi, I found this for S1, it was pretty helpful for me. :smile:

holy S*** this is awesome, thx man!
Any Revision Tips anyone?
Original post by ShadowHz
holy S*** this is awesome, thx man!

No problem bro!
Original post by ShadowHz
Any Revision Tips anyone?

Tbh, I think practice is best for revision, just keep doing past papers. And go over things you don't understand. That's what I do anyway.
Ok thanks :smile:
Is it just me or have MEI grade boundaries have been getting higher and higher each year? Last year you needed 63 for an A and 58 for just a B!
Is it just me or have MEI grade boundaries have been getting higher and higher each year? Last year you needed 63 for an A and 58 for just a B!

tb to 2010 when it was like 52 for an A peak times
But the papers back then were much harder, last years paper was relatively easy so Im thinking we're gonna get a hard paper this year :frown:
Any predictions? Do you think one of these questions will come up they usually come up if the exam is hard: Screenshot 2016-05-16 at 18.43.15.png
Original post by TheAlphaParticle
Any predictions? Do you think one of these questions will come up they usually come up if the exam is hard: Screenshot 2016-05-16 at 18.43.15.png

Maybe there hasn't been one in a while, also what year paper is that picture from?
Reply 35
Hi! Seems simple but would anyone be able to help me with this question please? Trying to get prepared for tomorrow! ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463481630.479353.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mcfly44
Hi! Seems simple but would anyone be able to help me with this question please? Trying to get prepared for tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This video sort of explains how to do it...

[video="youtube;cfXFH7cNbX0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfXFH7cNbX0[/video]
:afraid::afraid::afraid::afraid::afraid::afraid: C1 EXAM IS TOMORROW! :afraid::afraid::afraid::afraid::afraid::afraid:

Are y'all readyy?!
Reply 38
This video sort of explains how to do it...

[video="youtube;cfXFH7cNbX0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfXFH7cNbX0[/video]

Thank you! I completely forgot to rationalise:colondollar:
Original post by Mcfly44
Thank you! I completely forgot to rationalise:colondollar:

No problemo! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending