The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thebrahmabull
No, i am against it. If someone is in so much pain then they should be able to take a bit more pain and kill themselves, its their life...and if someone notices it then they shoukd stop them. The fact that people are consciously allowing and helping someone to take their life doesnot seem right to me.

Some people are physically incapable of doing it themselves, which is why they ask for help...
Original post by lascelles101
any religious opinions on this???

Yes. In islam taking your own life is one of the worst sins.
Original post by alicestringer_
YES IT SHOULD OMG

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes defo!! are u in sch/uni or do u work??
If we take word 'legal' into euthanasia then definitely no, under any circumstances.

Just my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cherryred90s
Some people are physically incapable of doing it themselves, which is why they ask for help...

yes.. what if they are paralysed
I would totally **** in his mailbox :smile:
Original post by Impressive
If we include word 'legal' into euthanasia then definitely no, under any circumstances.

Just my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by this?
Original post by thebrahmabull
Yes. In islam taking your own life is one of the worst sins.

i thought so... is their any exceptions??
Original post by Anonymous
I would totally **** in his mailbox :smile:

huh?? what do u mean
What do you mean by this?

For me, it's like allowing someone to execute another person 'legally'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by claireestelle
I think it should be as long as its regulated properly, i think the netherlands has a good system in place. I feel that people should be able to die in comfort on their terms.

I'm not convinced that the safeguards in the netherlands are sufficient when they have cases like this: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/sex-abuse-victim-in-her-20s-allowed-by-dutch-doctors-to-undergo-euthanasia-due-to-severe-ptsd-a7023666.html

this is one example, what about others who are in extreme pain??
this is one example, what about others who are in extreme pain??

What about them?

I believe that pain relief should be given, even if that shortens life, but the intention should be to relieve pain primarily.

Euthanasia comes down to society and the legal system placing a value on someone's life: some people are deemed "suitable" for assistance to die while others are not - I don't believe that is desirable in any way. There are far too many pressures and loopholes for any change to the law to be abused. People already get away with killing their disabled relatives in some cases, removing protection from a group of people who are discriminated against is not going to end well.
Original post by PQ
What about them?

I believe that pain relief should be given, even if that shortens life, but the intention should be to relieve pain primarily.

Euthanasia comes down to society and the legal system placing a value on someone's life: some people are deemed "suitable" for assistance to die while others are not - I don't believe that is desirable in any way. There are far too many pressures and loopholes for any change to the law to be abused. People already get away with killing their disabled relatives in some cases, removing protection from a group of people who are discriminated against is not going to end well.

why do u say they are discriminated
why do u say they are discriminated

You don't believe ill or disabled people are discriminated against?

Have a read of http://lisybabe.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/if-you-were-me-then-youd-be-screaming.html
and
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mik-scarlet/when-no-means-yes-for-you_b_5472241.html

oh, yes I know they r, but at the same time should they not be more equal by having more control over their painful life??
oh, yes I know they r, but at the same time should they not be more equal by having more control over their painful life??

Read both those articles. The first sums up my thoughts on euthanasia better than I've ever been able to articulate. The only thing missing are the disgusting levels of emotional abuse that disabled and elderly people suffer that makes the possibility of direct and indirect coercion a huge risk. The second demonstrates the levels of abuse and dismissal of disabled people's voices already within the healthcare system that would be responsible for administering any change to the law.

Disabled people are the largest group opposing changes to the law (aside from people who object for religious reasons) http://notdeadyetuk.org/resources/ contains some details of the main arguements
Original post by PQ
What about them?

Sometimes the pain cannot really be helped. It's the thought of knowing that you aren't getting any better and you will slowly lose the ability to do the things you once used to take for granted. There's no pain relief for that.

Perhaps people wouldn't have to resort to such drastic measures if they were legally allowed.
Original post by PQ
Read both those articles. The first sums up my thoughts on euthanasia better than I've ever been able to articulate. The only thing missing are the disgusting levels of emotional abuse that disabled and elderly people suffer that makes the possibility of direct and indirect coercion a huge risk. The second demonstrates the levels of abuse and dismissal of disabled people's voices already within the healthcare system that would be responsible for administering any change to the law.

Disabled people are the largest group opposing changes to the law (aside from people who object for religious reasons) http://notdeadyetuk.org/resources/ contains some details of the main arguements

yes this is due to them being traditionally more right wing
Sometimes the pain cannot really be helped. It's the thought of knowing that you aren't getting any better and you will slowly lose the ability to do the things you once used to take for granted. There's no pain relief for that.

Perhaps people wouldn't have to resort to such drastic measures if they were legally allowed.

See http://lisybabe.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/if-you-were-me-then-youd-be-screaming.html

Exclusion, discrimination and restrictive attitudes towards pain medication from both the health professions and the legal system are both far more damaging to disabled people's mental health than the fact that they might struggle to kill themselves without help.

Being constantly told that your life is worth LESS than non-disabled people is harmful exclusive bigotry.

Latest

Trending

Trending