The Student Room Group

integrating sinx /x

I have no idea how to go about this.. integrating by parts won't work and I can't think of a substitution.
Original post by StarvingAutist
I have no idea how to go about this.. integrating by parts won't work and I can't think of a substitution.

Limits?
Reply 2

You'll need limits, it doesn't have an antiderivative in terms of elementary functions (other than its trivial Si(x)).
Original post by ODES_PDES
Limits?

70.png
Reply 4

It's a result in itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_integral
70.png

reverse the order of integration
Original post by ODES_PDES
reverse the order of integration

What should that look like?
Reply 7
What should that look like?

Original post by TeeEm

I didn't realise the sinx / x could go in the y integral; I put it as a limit which obviously didn't help
70.png

Start by doing the y integral and it becomes very simple. On another note I did just work out the exact solution to the integral of sinx/x - if someone fancies checking, that would be great.

sin(x)xdx=1i=0n!x(n+1)eix+(1)neix22incos(π2(2n+121))+constant\displaystyle\int\frac{sin(x)}{x}dx = -1 \sum_{i=0}^\infty \frac{n!}{x^{-(n+1)}}\frac{{e^{ix}} + (-1)^ne^{-ix}}{2\sqrt{2}i^ncos(\frac{\pi}{2}(\frac{2n+1}{2}-1))} + constant
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by natninja
Start by doing the y integral and it becomes very simple. On another note I did just work out the exact solution to the integral of sinx/x - if someone fancies checking, that would be great.

sin(x)xdx=1i=0n!x(n+1)eix+(1)neix22incos(π2(2n+121))+constant\displaystyle\int\frac{sin(x)}{x}dx = -1 \sum_{i=0}^\infty \frac{n!}{x^{-(n+1)}}\frac{{e^{ix}} + (-1)^ne^{-ix}}{2\sqrt{2}i^ncos(\frac{\pi}{2}(\frac{2n+1}{2}-1))} + constant

Looks like you've done far more work that needs to be.

sinx=n=0(1)nx2n+1(2n+1)!\displaystyle \sin x = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n \frac{x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}

Then divide that by xx and integrate term-by-term (skipping over some mild technical justifications).

Quick Reply

Latest