The Student Room Group

The EU is like Hitler - Boris Johnson

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bornblue
That's not putting it simply, that's evading the question.
I asked you to name one single right that the EU has taken away from me or will take away from me and you can't name any, not one.

So i'll give you another chance. Can you name a single right which the EU has or will take away from me?

They're taking away our livelihoods!

You can't even build unsafe lifts anymore without those EU health and safety fascists getting involved. So what if it's unsafe and people die or get injured? It's my right as a Brit to sell whatever I want regardless of the consequences , it's just common sense. And don't even get me started on bankers bonuses. Our BRITISH bankers should earn as much money as feasibly possible... Etc
Original post by Davij038
They're taking away our livelihoods!

You can't even build unsafe lifts anymore without those EU health and safety fascists getting involved. So what if it's unsafe and people die or get injured? It's my right as a Brit to sell whatever I want regardless of the consequences , it's just common sense. And don't even get me started on bankers bonuses. Our BRITISH bankers should earn as much money as feasibly possible... Etc

I know.
Whenever I ask for specific things that the European Union has taken away, the vast majority of brexiters (not all) seem to reply with wishy washy, airy statements like 'our rights to freedom' etc.

I'd rather have safe lifts and buildings rather than an abstract 'right' to have unsafe lifts.
That's not putting it simply, that's evading the question.
I asked you to name one single right that the EU has taken away from me or will take away from me and you can't name any, not one.

So i'll give you another chance. Can you name a single right which the EU has or will take away from me?

Let me tell you some of the pointless things;
Maximum wattage on Hoovers
Maximum amount of water that can be used in a toilet flush
The maximum curvature of bananas and cucumbers
A report that says water doesn't hydrate you.

I know they aren't rights, but the single thing that annoys me is that European Law and rulings is superior to British Law. This includes in the judicial system; and also the legislature- so if a European law and a British law contradict, the European law has precedence, meaning decisions that help Bulgaria, or the vast majority of the time- Germany, are taken, effecting the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland negatively!

Let me talk about some rights; although not as big a culture as in America, with article 2 the right to bare arms; the EU is trying to erode all private gun ownership.

lets look at the issue of democracy; there has been referendums in various countries to do with various treaties; lets look at the Lisbon Treaty, and Ireland's referendum. I believe the agreement was that all EU countries had to vote to pass it for it to pass. Ireland in their referendum voted it down. The proposal was defeated by 53.4% to 46.6% But the powers above that be in Europe, didn't like this, as it went against their motive for a United States of Europe, so ordered Ireland to vote again; and then they pumped millions in blackmail into scaring the Irish; I know- I'm from Northern Ireland, scaring them into what would happen if they didn't vote in favour, so guess what, the EU ordered a 2nd referendum, and it was voted to support it. There you go, the erosion of democracy!
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Even if true that the EU wants to become a state, where did you get the bit about it being controlled by Germany? Are you aware that in EU voting, Germany frequently gets outvoted?

Germany is the most pwoerful country in the continent. When Germany says jump all countries follow.
I know.
Whenever I ask for specific things that the European Union has taken away, the vast majority of brexiters (not all) seem to reply with wishy washy, airy statements like 'our rights to freedom' etc.

I'd rather have safe lifts and buildings rather than an abstract 'right' to have unsafe lifts.

1. Fishing rights - UK fishermen are having fish taken away from them as fishing permits are going to big foreign fishing firms. UK fisherman who once had all the fish are having their waters taken away. As British waters are the best waters for fishing after Norwegian waters (conveniently not in EU) there is no argument that works telling British fishermen to go to foreign waters.

2. Pilots right - the maximum hours pilots can fly in a year and be on duty for is being increased by EU law. Good for airlines not for the passengers who more risk of tired pilots making mistakes.

3. The ability to sell high power vacuum cleaners.
Slightly disturbed at the brexiters need for high suckage hoovers.
Original post by adam9317

Most of these aren't even true or are misrepresentations like Boris's EU coffin Schtick.

I know they aren't rights, but the single thing that annoys me is that European Law and rulings is superior to British Law. This includes in the judicial system; and also the legislature- so if a European law and a British law contradict, the European law has precedence, meaning decisions that help Bulgaria, or the vast majority of the time- Germany, are taken, effecting the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland negatively!

Same with all international law. Better pull out of the Geneva convention if you want our primacy back!

Let me talk about some rights; although not as big a culture as in America, with article 2 the right to bare arms; the EU is trying to erode all private gun ownership.

Good. In any case new labour did that on the UK not the EU.

lets look at the issue of democracy; there has been referendums in various countries to do with various treaties; lets look at the Lisbon Treaty, and Ireland's referendum. I believe the agreement was that all EU countries had to vote to pass it for it to pass. Ireland in their referendum voted it down. The proposal was defeated by 53.4% to 46.6% But the powers above that be in Europe, didn't like this, as it went against their motive for a United States of Europe, so ordered Ireland to vote again; and then they pumped millions in blackmail into scaring the Irish; I know- I'm from Northern Ireland, scaring them into what would happen if they didn't vote in favour, so guess what, the EU ordered a 2nd referendum, and it was voted to support it. There you go, the erosion of democracy!

Is Iceland still in the EU? Has Norway had their referendum ignored? No.

The Ireland declined a proposal but accepted a counter proposal which they could have refused also but didn't.

You said 'rights'. None of those as you say are rights. Will your life be greatly improved if we have less straight bananas? Also, you do realise the curved banana rules are a myth? They simply do not exist.
They were dropped in 2008 yet brexiters lie and say they still have them.

You also realize the hoovers ban was for efficiency? Because you can create just a powerful hoover that runs on 700 watts as opposed to 2000. It makes sense that if we can have exactly the same effect whist using less than half the energy then we should do it.

You claimed the EU will destroy my rights. I don't want an essay or a long answer. I want you to tell me a single right the EU will take away from me. Go on...

You're a typical brexiter. You go on and on about how the EU is taking away my rights, comparing it to Hitler yet you cannot name a single right which it is taking away from me. Please do, just one will do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Madeline_H95
1. Fishing rights - UK fishermen are having fish taken away from them as fishing permits are going to big foreign fishing firms. UK fisherman who once had all the fish are having their waters taken away. As British waters are the best waters for fishing after Norwegian waters (conveniently not in EU) there is no argument that works telling British fishermen to go to foreign waters.

2. Pilots right - the maximum hours pilots can fly in a year and be on duty for is being increased by EU law. Good for airlines not for the passengers who more risk of tired pilots making mistakes.

3. The ability to sell high power vacuum cleaners.

Fishing - rights determined by international law of the sea. Not the EU, nor us.
Pilots- What are you talking about? The EU in 2013 limited such hours
Hoovers- the ban was for environmental reasons - to import more energy efficient but just as powerful vaccums. But if you consider that destroying your right, I worry for you.

As usual the brexiter resorts to half-truths and question evading.
Name me one right that the EU is going to take away from me? Just one, and an actual right. Not a 'right' to have unsafe lifts etc.
Your average Britain first racist will give a more intellectually coherent position than most of the drivel being spouted here. I may not like it, but at least I can understand it to some degree. It's like those Tory MPs filibustering for twelve hours to prevent carers getting free parking at hospitals- who gets out of bed and goes I'm going to fight that Brussels fascism to reclaim my right to high suction hoovers.

@Bornblue it's those bloody fish with their freedom of movement... Their our fish they should stay in British waters. And all the bird flying off whenever they feel like it. Scum the lot of them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Most of these aren't even true or are misrepresentations like Boris's EU coffin Schtick.

Same with all international law. Better pull out of the Geneva convention if you want our primacy back!

Good. In any case new labour did that on the UK not the EU.

Is Iceland still in the EU? Has Norway had their referendum ignored? No.

The Ireland declined a proposal but accepted a counter proposal which they could have refused also but didn't.

The Irish people were at the hand of Eu blackmail, with millions spent on it, to scare them into doing it- plenty of people believed it; broadly similar to Cameron's emotional blackmail regarding this referendum!

You said 'rights'. None of those as you say are rights. Will your life be greatly improved if we have less straight bananas? Also, you do realise the curved banana rules are a myth? They simply do not exist.
They were dropped in 2008 yet brexiters lie and say they still have them.

You also realize the hoovers ban was for efficiency? Because you can create just a powerful hoover that runs on 700 watts as opposed to 2000. It makes sense that if we can have exactly the same effect whist using less than half the energy then we should do it.

You claimed the EU will destroy my rights. I don't want an essay or a long answer. I want you to tell me a single right the EU will take away from me. Go on...

You're a typical brexiter. You go on and on about how the EU is taking away my rights, comparing it to Hitler yet you cannot name a single right which it is taking away from me. Please do, just one will do.

If you read my last paragraph, which I've pasted below, you will see, or we have Madeline's issues as mentioned above

The Irish people were at the hand of Eu blackmail, with millions spent on it, to scare them into doing it- plenty of people believed it; broadly similar to Cameron's emotional blackmail regarding this referendum!

If you read my last paragraph, which I've pasted below, you will see, or we have Madeline's issues as mentioned above

You're shifting the goalposts and being evasive. We're not talking about Ireland.
You claimed the EU is taking away my rights then you gave a load of drivel about bananas and hoovers, etc, without noting that there is no ban on straight bananas and the hoovers thing was done purely because you can get the same result while using less than half the energy.

Stop changing subject, tell me one right the EU has taken away. What Madeline said was simply factually incorrect and even then was not a 'right'. So please, tell me one right. Just one.
@adam9317

They could still have refused it though, just like we could.

By the same token, the UK is undemocratic for interfering in the Scottish referendum and having the nerve to suggest that they couldnt keep everything they wanted post exit.
Fishing - rights determined by international law of the sea. Not the EU, nor us.
Pilots- What are you talking about? The EU in 2013 limited such hours
Hoovers- the ban was for environmental reasons - to import more energy efficient but just as powerful vaccums. But if you consider that destroying your right, I worry for you.

As usual the brexiter resorts to half-truths and question evading.
Name me one right that the EU is going to take away from me? Just one, and an actual right. Not a 'right' to have unsafe lifts etc.

You've never heard of the EU's common fisheries policy then? You do know it's EU law that says EU fisherman can fish in UK waters? Read the details of the law first.

The EU limited the hours for the EU, though the UK's hours were already shorter than the EU limit. The UK had the strictest hours three years ago.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24461640 Read the details first. The EU increased the flying limits by 100 hours above the original British law.

Oh, that ban is so good that all of the energy saved is wasted because the cleaners are being used for longer. Yep, more energy in the long term - good idea.

Right to full information. The EU's right to be forgotten allows convicted paedophiles to remove news articles about them from online search engines.
You've never heard of the EU's common fisheries policy then? You do know it's EU law that says EU fisherman can fish in UK waters? Read the details of the law first.

The EU limited the hours for the EU, though the UK's hours were already shorter than the EU limit. The UK had the strictest hours three years ago.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24461640 Read the details first. The EU increased the flying limits by 100 hours above the original British law.

Oh, that ban is so good that all of the energy saved is wasted because the cleaners are being used for longer. Yep, more energy in the long term - good idea.

Right to full information. The EU's right to be forgotten allows convicted paedophiles to remove news articles about them from online search engines.

I'm not a fisherman. We can fish in their waters too... Yet you want to take that away from our fishermen.
The EU limited pilot hours. Our government agreed to the directive....
They didn't even ban hovers ffs they encouraged more energy efficient ones which is fair enough. Even James Dyson said they could have equally as powerful hopvers for a quarter of the energy consumption.

And what's that about paedophiles? Now you're just making stuff up as per. Prove that's the case?
I must say though searching for convicted paedophiles on the internet is a past time...

Right so your argument for the eu taking away my rights is that they mean I have to use a far more energy efficient but equally as effective Hoover and I can't search for convicted paedophiles online (which you have not proven)

Wow we really need to get out this Union quick so I can buy an inefficient Hoover, searching for a convicted paedophile while in an unsafe lift.

Yet again you haven't told me a single right that the European Union has taken away from me.
(edited 7 years ago)
You can really see the Brexit lot scraping the barrel when their main arguments on this thread for leaving have been that the EU takes away our right to buy inefficient hoovers and instead use far more energy efficient ones.

What an evil organisation...

Someone has to clean up all the mess after another round of Boris.

If only we could buy inefficient hoovers. One can dream.
Nothing screams sovereignty and taking back control like a high wattage Hoover. Brings a tear to the eye.
I'm not a fisherman. We can fish in their waters too... Yet you want to take that away from our fishermen.
The EU limited pilot hours. Our government agreed to the directive....
They didn't even ban hovers ffs they encouraged more energy efficient ones which is fair enough. Even James Dyson said they could have equally as powerful hopvers for a quarter of the energy consumption.

And what's that about paedophiles? Now you're just making stuff up as per. Prove that's the case?
I must say though searching for convicted paedophiles on the internet is a past time...

Right so your argument for the eu taking away my rights is that they mean I have to use a far more energy efficient but equally as effective Hoover and I can't search for convicted paedophiles online (which you have not proven)

Wow we really need to get out this Union quick so I can buy an inefficient Hoover, searching for a convicted paedophile while in an unsafe lift.

Yet again you haven't told me a single right that the European Union has taken away from me.

Why fish in their waters if there are more fish and better fish in Britain's water. If this wasn't fishing but farm land, you wouldn't choose to use the desert over Britain. Britain's superior fish stocks are being opened up to everyone. We can't fish in their waters because there are not that many fish in them. Surely you can grasp this point?

Google EU's Right to be Forgotten law. I'm worried someone is denying things without doing research. It was all over the news for ages. Anyone whose name appears in an online link can request search engines to remove the link to the article. I pity people who dismiss things without even researching it. The only excuse is if you're 16 and only started reading the news last week.
Why fish in their waters if there are more fish and better fish in Britain's water. If this wasn't fishing but farm land, you wouldn't choose to use the desert over Britain. Britain's superior fish stocks are being opened up to everyone. We can't fish in their waters because there are not that many fish in them. Surely you can grasp this point?

Google EU's Right to be Forgotten law. I'm worried someone is denying things without doing research. It was all over the news for ages. Anyone whose name appears in an online link can request search engines to remove the link to the article. I pity people who dismiss things without even researching it. The only excuse is if you're 16 and only started reading the news last week.

Are there greater stocks in our water? Where's your proof for that? Besides I'm a vegetarian - fishing stocks is a low concern of mine.

So you want to leave the European Union so you can search for convicted paedophiles? I suggest you find a hobby.
Our police maintain access to all criminal records and DNA accross the EU thanks to Europol.

This is your argument? Deary me its scraping the barrel stuff at best.

You haven't told me a single right that the EU are taking away from me. Other than my right to have an inefficient Hoover 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

So go on, tell me actual rights the European Union are taking away from me. Please do.
I bet you've never even bought a Hoover yet are sooooo outraged that you have to buy a more energy efficient but equally as powerful one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending