The Student Room Group

Why won't the left let Austria do what they want with their own border?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35956491

No doubt, you have heard about the multiple riots caused by violent left wing protesters to prevent Austria putting up border crossings with Italy.

What right do the left have to dictate to anyone what they do with their borders? A democratically elected government is passing the policy. What reason is their to oppose it, especially when you are not Austrian?

I find it funny how the left criticise everyone else on their DEMOCRATIC values but all I've seen over the years is constant illegal activity from the left to push their own agenda and policy
Original post by Omen96

No doubt, you have heard about the multiple riots caused by violent left wing protesters to prevent Austria putting up border crossings with Italy.

What right do the left have to dictate to anyone what they do with their borders? A democratically elected government is passing the policy. What reason is their to oppose it, especially when you are not Austrian?

I find it funny how the left criticise the everyone else on their DEMOCRATIC values but all I've seen over the years is constant illegal activity from the left to push their own agenda and policy

Hopefully they will after the elections
Because they have voluntarily signed up to the EU and Schengen. Its normal if you sign agreements then you are expected to keep to them, especially when by breaching them you cause trouble for your neighbours. Cant stick to it then dont sign up. Simplez.
Reply 3
Original post by ODES_PDES
Hopefully they will after the elections

What gives the upcoming elections any more democratic standing than the previous ones? The left are obstructing a democratically elected government, there are no two ways about it
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Because they have voluntarily signed up to the EU and Schengen. Its normal if you sign agreements then you are expected to keep to them, especially when by breaching them you cause trouble for your neighbours. Cant stick to it then dont sign up. Simplez.

Germany sent out a public invitation to the rest of the world, I doubt that was in the terms and conditions of the agreement

Also, Schengen does not prevent nations from installing border controls if they feel there is a security risk
Reply 5
Original post by Omen96

I find it funny how the left criticise everyone else on their DEMOCRATIC values but all I've seen over the years is constant illegal activity from the left to push their own agenda and policy

Because it is totally unfair towards a country like Italy who is struggling in helping (and saving) thousands of migrants every day maybe?
Does the word cooperation mean something to you? What Austria is doing is selfishness at its acme.
Reply 6
Original post by kanzev
Because it is totally unfair towards a country like Italy who is struggling in helping (and saving) thousands of migrants every day maybe?
Does the word cooperation mean something to you? What Austria is doing is selfishness at its acme.

What are you going on about? Austria has a right to protect its citizens. Why should it have to accept complete strangers with no official documentation or validation, who show no effort to validate themselves, into their country? If Italy wants to do that, then they can but it does not mean Austria should be forced to.

Clearly you have not read the Schengen Agreement properly. There is nothing in the terms and conditions about accepting non-EU citizens, not to mention without identification
Reply 7
Original post by Omen96
What are you going on about? Austria has a right to protect its citizens. Why should it have to accept complete strangers with no official documentation or validation, who show no effort to validate themselves, into their country? If Italy wants to do that, then they can but it does not mean Austria should be forced to.

Clearly you have not read the Schengen Agreement properly. There is nothing in the terms and conditions about accepting non-EU citizens, not to mention without identification

I have read perfectly the Schengen Agreement. I know that legally you are right, however I'd like to ask you a question. What should Italy do according to you with the thousands of migrants that have to be rescued in the Mediterrean? Do we have to let them die in the sea? Is this the civilised Europe we always flaunt on?

The Schengen agreement is extraordinarily weak as for this. How could Italy and Greece alone absorbe the whole crisis? We aren't able to front the crisis alone. Any country won't be able alone.

Remember the foundation of Europe is the ancient concept of Humanitas, of being human. "Homo sum et nihil humani alienum puto", "I am a man, and nothing human is stranger to me". As an Italian I am whole-heartedly convinced that we should cooperate. Building walls is just a narrow-minded, selfish and undermost attitute.
Reply 8
Original post by kanzev
I have read perfectly the Schengen Agreement. I know that legally you are right, however I'd like to ask you a question. What should Italy do according to you with the thousands of migrants that have to be rescued in the Mediterrean? Do we have to let them die in the sea? Is this the civilised Europe we always flaunt on?

The Schengen agreement is extraordinarily weak as for this. How could Italy and Greece alone absorbe the whole crisis? We aren't able to front the crisis alone. Any country won't be able alone.

Remember the foundation of Europe is the ancient concept of Humanitas, of being human. "Homo sum et nihil humani alienum puto", "I am a man, and nothing human is stranger to me". As an Italian I am whole-heartedly convinced that we should cooperate. Building walls is just a narrow-minded, selfish and undermost attitute.

Italy should patrol the waters closer to North Africa and return the migrants, simple, easy solution
Original post by kanzev

Then Italy should stop the migrants from landing on their shores. Everyone should close their borders to stop the flow.
Original post by kanzev

No one is forcing Italy to keep their borders open. If they want to commit suicide then why should the rest of Europe be expected to go down with the sinking ship?
Reply 11
Original post by MildredMalone
Then Italy should stop the migrants from landing on their shores. Everyone should close their borders to stop the flow.

Okay. The only way to stop them is shooting at them. The truly ONLY one, there aren't any other options.
I find also pretty ridiculous that you are blaming Italy on not controlling the borders. The UK (thank you David Cameron) has decided to invade Lybia in order to remove Gheddafi. You have destabilised the whole country and as a result migrants are free to depart from North Africa.

When Schengen was conceived Italy had an agreement with Lybia that prevented migrants to come here. The mere attempt to expat towards Europe was punished with ten years of prison. The UK, France and America have taken their decisions now it's time to sort out the damage. You should blame Cameron, Hollande and Hilary Clinton (who advised Obama in a bad way) on this not Italy.
Reply 12
Original post by kanzev
Okay. The only way to stop them is shooting at them. The truly ONLY one, there aren't any other options.
I find also pretty ridiculous that you are blaming Italy on not controlling the borders. The UK (thank you David Cameron) has decided to invade Lybia in order to remove Gheddafi. You have destabilised the whole country and as a result migrants are free to depart from North Africa.

When Schengen was conceived Italy had an agreement with Lybia that prevented migrants to come here. The mere attempt to expat towards Europe was punished with ten years of prison. The UK, France and America have taken their decisions now it's time to sort out the damage. You should blame Cameron, Hollande and Hilary Clinton (who advised Obama in a bad way) on this not Italy.

Funny how you clearly know nothing about Libya when Italian, French and other NATO forces engaged in bombing practices. I don't agree with bombing Libya, Gaddafi was keeping people controlled instead of chaos, but don't go making out Italy are innocent
Reply 13
Original post by Omen96
Funny how you clearly know nothing about Libya when Italian, French and other NATO forces engaged in bombing practices. I don't agree with bombing Libya, Gaddafi was keeping people controlled instead of chaos, but don't go making out Italy are innocent

What is funny is your snotty, pompous and patronizing attitude. France and Britain were the ones who firstly wanted the war in Lybia. In particular Cameron and Hollande, who asked the NATO to make an international coalition. Italy is not innocent of course because we had an idiot prime minister who didn't take into account the public opinion. (As an Italian I can assure you that the whole country was against the war). However,it is undeniable that France and Britain do have a major responsibility as for this.

What is important is not the past though, is not finding the scapegoat. The factual truth is that today the only way to prevent migrants coming to Italy is shooting at them. Would you do it? Yes or no? There is no alternative unfortunately.
Original post by kanzev

I guess once the message got out, "go to Italy, get shot," they'd stop going there.
Reply 15
Original post by kanzev
What is funny is your snotty, pompous and patronizing attitude. France and Britain were the ones who firstly wanted the war in Lybia. In particular Cameron and Hollande, who asked the NATO to make an international coalition. Italy is not innocent of course because we had an idiot prime minister who didn't take into account the public opinion. (As an Italian I can assure you that the whole country was against the war). However,it is undeniable that France and Britain do have a major responsibility as for this.

What is important is not the past though, is not finding the scapegoat. The factual truth is that today the only way to prevent migrants coming to Italy is shooting at them. Would you do it? Yes or no? There is no alternative unfortunately.

You are so stupid that it's funny. The only option is NOT shooting them. They can be redirected back to Libya or collected and dropped back off. If they are able to make the trip to Italy and drop them off, they are also able to make the trip to Libya and drop them off. It says a lot about you when you think the only way to stop them from 1000s of options is to SHOOT them. How old are you?
Reply 16
Original post by Omen96
You are so stupid that it's funny. The only option is NOT shooting them. They can be redirected back to Libya or collected and dropped back off. If they are able to make the trip to Italy and drop them off, they are also able to make the trip to Libya and drop them off. It says a lot about you when you think the only way to stop them from 1000s of options is to SHOOT them. How old are you?

They cannot be redirected back to Lybia or collected because they are asking asylum and the refugee status ad as a result it is impossible. Italy in fact is to respect international treaties. Would you drop a person who is escaping from war and violent regimes?

Also, even considering that they are collected and dropped back what is it going to prevent them to expat to Europe again? There is absolutely no control in Lybia so they would be allowed to do it without particular concerns.
Reiterating insults doesn't make you look smarter. Your lack of respect is truly impressive. I don't even want to loose time with a narrow-minded person like you.
Reply 17
Original post by kanzev
They cannot be redirected back to Lybia or collected because they are asking asylum and the refugee status ad as a result it is impossible. Italy in fact is to respect international treaties. Would you drop a person who is escaping from war and violent regimes?

Also, even considering that they are collected and dropped back what is it going to prevent them to expat to Europe again? There is absolutely no control in Lybia so they would be allowed to do it without particular concerns.
Reiterating insults doesn't make you look smarter. Your lack of respect is truly impressive. I don't even want to loose time with a narrow-minded person like you.

Says the one who started with "snotty, pompous...attitude".

If they try again, they get dropped off to Libya again, it's quite a simple policy. Or take the austrailian policy, they stopped sending out ships, and guess what, the boats stopped coming. This is actually true, I know you probably think it's magic or something but it was as simple as not sending out ships
(edited 7 years ago)
Because the left's attitude of "it's just their culture" only applies to societies that like beheading women for showing their ankles or men for playing with each other's ding dongs.
Original post by kanzev
Would you drop a person who is escaping from war and violent regimes?

Not every individual forcing their way into Europe is fleeing war. Moreover, one does not need to let them into Europe to help them survive.

Quick Reply