The Student Room Group

OCR A level maths

Whats the best way of keeping your answers neat and tidy? Are you allowed a rough paper to do things like see if quadratics factorise etc. to keep your methods and answers easy to read for the examiner?
Reply 1
Original post by julesaquilina
Whats the best way of keeping your answers neat and tidy? Are you allowed a rough paper to do things like see if quadratics factorise etc. to keep your methods and answers easy to read for the examiner?

You are allowed rough paper. Don't use it. Show all your working, you don't want to lose method marks if your answer goes awry and they don't see your full method that you've put on rough paper.

Just space out all your working, make it sequential and step-wise, i.e: don't start at step 1 at the top and then do step 3 and then step 4 or whatever. Use double line spacing, etc... the examiners are used to not having perfectly neat answers.
Original post by Zacken
You are allowed rough paper. Don't use it. Show all your working, you don't want to lose method marks if your answer goes awry and they don't see your full method that you've put on rough paper.

Just space out all your working, make it sequential and step-wise, i.e: don't start at step 1 at the top and then do step 3 and then step 4 or whatever. Use double line spacing, etc... the examiners are used to not having perfectly neat answers.

Should i do my working on the side of the page to keep the flow of my answer or should i just do all my rough work as i go down the page?
Reply 3
Should i do my working on the side of the page to keep the flow of my answer or should i just do all my rough work as i go down the page?

Most of the work as you go down the page, and if you'd like, you could do some of the really inane calculations on the side, if you want. But there's absolutely no problem with just doing it all down the page.
Original post by Zacken
Most of the work as you go down the page, and if you'd like, you could do some of the really inane calculations on the side, if you want. But there's absolutely no problem with just doing it all down the page.

So it doesnt matter if theres lots of crossing out?
Reply 5
So it doesnt matter if theres lots of crossing out?

Certainly not.
Original post by Zacken
Certainly not.

Alright thanks haha, just another thought is there a rule about underlining answers? Like.... Once? Twice? With a ruler? Or no underlines at all?
Reply 7
Alright thanks haha, just another thought is there a rule about underlining answers? Like.... Once? Twice? With a ruler? Or no underlines at all?

Whatever you feel like, it's not going to matter. :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
Whatever you feel like, it's not going to matter. :tongue:

We were never taught how to set out our work haha thats all :smile: Thanks for all your help. Do you have c1 tomo?
Reply 9
We were never taught how to set out our work haha thats all :smile: Thanks for all your help. Do you have c1 tomo?

Don't worry, it's normal to be nervous about this sort of thing, just know that the examiners are interested in your maths and they're not much concerned about how it's laid out as long as it's reasonably legible. :smile:

And no, I sat C1 in Jan; good luck with yours!
Original post by Zacken
Don't worry, it's normal to be nervous about this sort of thing, just know that the examiners are interested in your maths and they're not much concerned about how it's laid out as long as it's reasonably legible. :smile:

And no, I sat C1 in Jan; good luck with yours!

Thanks for your help!!

Quick Reply

Latest