The Student Room Group

AQA Biology Unit 1

Am I the only one that found that quite tricky? I went into the exam with a lot of knowledge but found it hard. Do you think the grade boundaries will be low for this one?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I thought they would be quite high? Felt like easyish questions, but more based on how you answer the question : i.e. vague... The 6 marker was nice though
I thought it was quite hard too any everyone else came out saying it was quite easy!! I revised so hard it's just the way they use different situations to apply the knowledge that confuses me I think... Idk I'm hoping for low grade boundaries too though
Reply 3
AWFUL.
Reply 4
I decided to leave the six marker until the end but only go back on to it with 30 seconds to go. It was incredibly simple though so I should get a decent amount of marks. It was sad to see nothing about the menstrual cycle and more on neurons.
Reply 5
Worse than I anticipated. I did several past papers beforehand and never struggled to answer any of the questions in those - i got A* in two i did - but this exam really tripped me up. The questions were vague and hard to understand, i think. I'm hoping the grade boundaries will be lowered...
THAT WAS THE WORST PAPER EVER!

"What is meant by an independent company?" - obvious but not a question that I'd like to see on a Biology paper. AQA are a shitty business and this question just showed it with a disgusting 1 marker like this. BUSINESS STUDIES AND BIOLOGY DO NOT OVERLAP AT GCSE; STICK TO THE ****ING SPEC YOU MONGS LIKE YOU DID BACK IN 2011 OR WHATEVER.

TO EVERYONE WHO DID EXAMS PRE-2014, YOU HAD IT ****ING EASY!

WHAT THE ACTUAL ****?!
(edited 7 years ago)
I found it okay actually, I didn't put calcium into the 6 marker which I'm annoyed about now but I put in vitamins and everything else in :/. The very last question over a different way of using an indicator was hard :/ what's an indicator you can use for sulfur dioxide/air pollution? Does anyone know??
Original post by Joannu
Worse than I anticipated. I did several past papers beforehand and never struggled to answer any of the questions in those - i got A* in two i did - but this exam really tripped me up. The questions were vague and hard to understand, i think. I'm hoping the grade boundaries will be lowered...

Exactly the same, so frustrating that I know I know the stuff but I just didn't do my best in that paper because of the style of questions, glad I'm not the only one though
Original post by Melville140
I found it okay actually, I didn't put calcium into the 6 marker which I'm annoyed about now but I put in vitamins and everything else in :/. The very last question over a different way of using an indicator was hard :/ what's an indicator you can use for sulfur dioxide/air pollution? Does anyone know??

I said test rivers for acidity using a pH meter but I think I should have just said rain now
Reply 10

I put that you could test the acidity of the rain in the area for sulfur dioxide but i don't know if that would be on the mark scheme though
Original post by Areej_
I put that you could test the acidity of the rain in the area for sulfur dioxide but i don't know if that would be on the mark scheme though

What was the indicator species?
The exam was terrible! Found it so hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

did you need calcium in the answer? isnt that an mineral which was stated in the question not to talk about in the answer?

lichens/ i think maefly larvae as well
Reply 14
Original post by Jamie Vardy
What was the indicator species?

lichens
I just realised I messed up on the percentage question; for some reason I put 67% instead of 0.67%...
Oi Oi marras. Me and me pal are ova ere and weve bin doin sum thunking bout this test. No need to worry it was just a mock
It is 67% mate! You divided 2x10tothepower6 / 3x10thepower8 and then times the result by 100 for a percentage which gives you two thirds
Original post by Jamie Vardy
I just realised I messed up on the percentage question; for some reason I put 67% instead of 0.67%...

I did this too, it seemed too much of a small number. I think we would get 1/2 marks.
Original post by cricketoo566
It is 67% mate! You divided 2x10tothepower6 / 3x10thepower8 and then times the result by 100 for a percentage which gives you two thirds

No it gives you 0.66

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest