The Student Room Group

Can anyone give examples of Weak, Strong and Electromagnetic (with equations!)

just interested on how you'd show them in an equation, I'm guessing electromagnetic is like attraction and repelling between charged particles (so like electrons colliding) or electron capture but I'm not sure how'd you show an equation of it.
Original post by theguywhosaidhi
just interested on how you'd show them in an equation, I'm guessing electromagnetic is like attraction and repelling between charged particles (so like electrons colliding) or electron capture but I'm not sure how'd you show an equation of it.

What do you mean exactly? The main equations in electromagnetism are Coulomb's law, Maxwell's equations and the Lorentz force. Strong and weak don't have nice equations like that as far as I know.
Original post by theguywhosaidhi

Well electrostatic is easy

an electron and electron with a virtual photon causing the electromagnetic repulsion or an electron and proton causing the electromagnetic attraction
e- + e- = e- + e-
or p + e- = p + e- etc
Everything stays the same basically - theres no actual equations for the repulsion/attraction but just know its gauge boson.

Electron Capture is an example of a weak interaction

p + e- = neutron + neutrino
This interacts using the W+ Gauge boson

err
Strong interaction is not something you need to know about but the gauge boson for the strong interaction is the pion.

just focus on weak interaction and strong interaction and their feynman diagrams and equations
Original post by Someboady
Well electrostatic is easy

an electron and electron with a virtual photon causing the electromagnetic repulsion or an electron and proton causing the electromagnetic attraction
e- + e- = e- + e-
or p + e- = p + e- etc
Everything stays the same basically - theres no actual equations for the repulsion/attraction but just know its gauge boson.

Electron Capture is an example of a weak interaction

p + e- = neutron + neutrino
This interacts using the W+ Gauge boson

err
Strong interaction is not something you need to know about but the gauge boson for the strong interaction is the pion.

just focus on weak interaction and strong interaction and their feynman diagrams and equations

thanks a lot :smile: what is the the neutrino for electron capture? (normal electron neutrino?) and is the W boson a positive charge because the charge from the proton is interacting with the negative on the electron, causing production of 2 neutral particles that subdue to the conservation laws? so basically the charge on the LHS moves to the right on the diagram

Quick Reply

Latest