The Student Room Group

AS Geography (unit 1) Edexcel - 17th May 2016

How did you guys find the exam? better or worse than you expected? Ready for Unit 2 :/?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I found it to be alright. Not as well as I expected it to be, having done all of the other mocks that Edexcel provided. I had a look at the mocks and their grade boundaries, and found that the mean amount of marks for an A was 61.5 (between 2015 and 2013).
Missed out a 5 marker about Local Population change (or something like that) and also did not get to finish the question 7 (a) in section B. 15 marker was very good for me, though.
Also, I am somewhat ready for the Unit 2 exam; need to revise coasts.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Epitype
I found it to be alright. Not as well as I expected it to be, having done all of the other mocks that Edexcel provided. I had a look at the mocks and their grade boundaries, and found that the mean amount of marks for an A was 61.5 (between 2015 and 2013).
Missed out a 5 marker about Local Population change (or something like that) and also did not get to finish the question 7 (a) in section B. 15 marker was very good for me, though.

Yeh the grade boundaries are pretty good but I think I was also tight on time. I didn't get a chance to check through my answers. I did question 9, the two questions for 7 seemed pretty similar.
Reply 3
also did anyone else do question 9? how did you guys approach the question?
Reply 4
Original post by lastroid
Yeh the grade boundaries are pretty good but I think I was also tight on time. I didn't get a chance to check through my answers. I did question 9, the two questions for 7 seemed pretty similar.

Yeah, I ran out of time. Otherwise, I knew all of the content, just needed more time to put all of it on paper. We definitely need more time for the exams. Overall, how do you feel about the whole paper and are you ready for the Unit 2 exam?
Reply 5
What question did everyone choose for section B?
Reply 6
Original post by Epitype
Yeah, I ran out of time. Otherwise, I knew all of the content, just needed more time to put all of it on paper. We definitely need more time for the exams. Overall, how do you feel about the whole paper and are you ready for the Unit 2 exam?

Unit 2 I gotta go over a bit since I devoted most of my time to unit 1 but I think the fieldwork questions will go okay
Reply 7
I think the overall exam was good although there were some odd questions like the recycling one?
Reply 8
Original post by Izzy162
I think the overall exam was good although there were some odd questions like the recycling one?

oh yeh, what did you put for that one?
Reply 9
has anyone made a Unit 2 thread yet? dunno if it's worth making... what do you think?
Reply 10
Original post by lastroid
oh yeh, what did you put for that one?

I literally just wrote that is was more effort for people to sort out??? I was so stuck, what did you write?
Heyy, did the exam a few hours ago... just managed to finish my one sentence long conclusion for question 7 as soon as the time was up :s-smilie:

For the recycling question I put it takes more energy to collect, sort and process recycled waste than creating less waste in the first place. Businesses and households might find recycling costly and time consuming.

How did you guys do for the disadvantages of TNCs question?
Original post by Epitype

What did you put for 7 (b) ?
Reply 13
Original post by A-Stargazer
Heyy, did the exam a few hours ago... just managed to finish my one sentence long conclusion for question 7 as soon as the time was up :s-smilie:

For the recycling question I put it takes more energy to collect, sort and process recycled waste than creating less waste in the first place. Businesses and households might find recycling costly and time consuming.

oh damn I didn't think about that!
For the TNC question I wrote about Americanisation and loss of culture also exploitation and the fact that an area could become reliant on TNCs which could easily relocate. What about you?
Reply 14
Original post by A-Stargazer

- exploitation of workers (telecom suicide example)
- LIC/NICs become dependent on TNCS?
- Environmental issues
- I also talked about how Tallinn experienced increase conflict with tourist since EasyJet started flying there
I re-sat this exam after getting a C last year and tbh I feel like I did better last year. Some of the questions were a bit strange like the recycling one and the one about historic documents. I did question 8 for section B and thought that went okay, did anyone else do that one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Laurengeog
What did you put for 7 (b) ?

Ok, so it talked about Geophysical Hazards and their distributions.
Therefore, I said that they are impacted by both human and physical factors.
Geophysical hazards include EQs, Volcanoes and Land/Mudslides.

Volcanoes are impacted by plate boundaries. I described and explained all types of plate boundaries and then talked about Mt. Pinatubo in the Philppines and the fact that it lies on a destructive between the Philippine and Pacific Plate.

For Earthquakes, I talked bout how they were impacted by Plate Boundaries and talked bout how. Gave an example of the conservative plate in LA and how they form EQs.

For Mudslides, I talked bout both human and physical. For human, I talked about deforestation and how it decreases interception and increases surface runoff. Also, I talked about heavy rain, EQs, plate boundaries and Liquefaction. For the example, I used Leyete landslide of 2006 and how it happened due to human and physical factors.

-Anis
I thought I was alright tbh!!! Really starting to regret doing question 10 at the end though :/ did anyone else do that one?
Original post by Izzy162
oh damn I didn't think about that!
For the TNC question I wrote about Americanisation and loss of culture also exploitation and the fact that an area could become reliant on TNCs which could easily relocate. What about you?

That was exactly what I wrote about the TNCs question.
Reply 19
Did the exam too.

I did question 7, for 7(a) I said the scale varied with the level of economic development and urbanisation - continents with greater economical value would suffer more economic damage - then referred to figure about Africa and used the GDP of America to support my example - then for why the causes vary I talked about the geographical location of hazard e.g. Asia experiences more earthquakes then any other continent as it is linked to various tectonic plate boundaries e.g. The Phillippines/Eurasian Plate destructive boundary - accounts for $500bn economic cost according to figure 7

For question 7(b) I stated the definition of hazards and geophysical hazards and why they varied for introduction - then I talked about some places being located in seismically active areas in constructive, destructive, conservative plate boundaries and discussed the 1300km San Andreas Fault and how earthquakes occur there (due to plates moving against each other at different speeds) and destructive/subduction occurring at the Phillippines boundary which caused the 1990 Luzon island earthquake - I discussed how the Phillippines/Eurasian plate boundary was associated with volcanoes which caused the 1991 Mount Pinatubo eruption - this showed that areas are at greater risk as they suffer from both earthquakes and volcanoes - I also talked about landslides which occur at the Phillippines due to the weak La Niña effect and southwest monsoon and said that the geographical location of the Phillippines made it vulnerable to landslides (5-20° north of the equator) - I also discussed that volcanoes occurred at volcanic hotspots due to rising plumes from upper mantle - this showed that some areas where at risk away from plate boundaries

Anyway, do you think that was okay? I'm seeing completely different answers all over the Internet and I've been worried I messed up section B

Also I put Luxembourg instead of Italy as I didn't know Italy was an EU country:/ I'm an idiot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending