The Student Room Group

EU migrants= net COST of 1.2bn a year

Significantly, this is more pronounced for migrants from the newer EU countries

This found that migrants from Poland and other Eastern European countries were costing £2.8 billion a year.However, this was counter-balanced by a positive net contribution of the same amount by migrants from the 'old' EU, which includes the likes of France and Germany.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3593872/17bn-true-cost-immigration-UK-year.html

With the coming accession of Turkey, Albania and other poor countries to the EU, one can only expect the deficit to increase.

Scroll to see replies

....so why should I care? I worked hard myself, got myself into a good financial position in the future and don't have to worry about how much the government is spending on migrants. Short-sighted? Sure. The smart thing to do? Definitely.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Zayn is Bae
....so why should I care? I worked hard myself, got myself into a good financial position in the future and don't have to worry about how much the government is spending on migrants. Short-sighted? Sure. The smart thing to do? Definitely.

How is it smart to turn a blind eye to policies that are against your best interests?
Reply 3

Sorry but you are not making sense!
Original post by plstudent
How is it smart to turn a blind eye to policies that are against your best interests?

Original post by M14B
Sorry but you are not making sense!

Because the government will piss away that money anyway in some project that benefits nobody, either starting a war for no reason (AGAIN) or buying the whole cabinet new ****ing Lamborghini's. Resign yourself to the fact that governments are ****, greedy terrorists and you'll be more at ease.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Because the government will piss that money away in some project that benefits nobody, either starting a war for no reason (AGAIN) or buying the whole cabinet new ****ing Lamborghini's. Resign yourself to the fact that governments are ****, greedy terrorists and you'll be more at ease.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I don't intend on resigning to anything. My attitude is that I will fight against those who wrong me. Given your distrust in how the government handles money, perhaps you should advocate for a reduction in taxes altogether.
Well, I don't intend on resigning to anything. My attitude is that I will fight against those who wrong me. Given your distrust in how the government handles money, perhaps you should advocate for a reduction in taxes altogether.

Fair enough. You're probably right, haven't opened the article or looked into it and money is being wasted on migrants, but it's a very idealistic perspective to believe that pulling it from here will be utilised any better in another sector. Considering we're allied with the 3 biggest terrorists on Earth (Israel, USA and Saudi Arabia), I don't see anything other than greed and hunger for wealth and power at all costs in the foreseeable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Significantly, this is more pronounced for migrants from the newer EU countries

The data from the government has always shown that EU migrants (overall) are nett contributors.

With the coming accession of Turkey, Albania and other poor countries to the EU, one can only expect the deficit to increase.

This is a red-herring. These countries are decades away from EU membership, even if they satisfy the criteria each existing member has a veto.
The UK will soon be on it's knees.

Uh, duh, this data excludes Switzerland, which also has free movement of people with the EU. So apart from anything else, it doesn't tell the entire story.
Reply 10
If Britain stopped EU migration, Spain will send back all the poor pensioners who will have nowhere to live and clog up the NHS and social services.
Exactly why people are going to vote for Leave EU, but country will still be worse off..
I'm terrified that the source used is the Daily Mail. This is the same outlet that claimed ingesting calamari got a woman pregnant, that semen is good for women's health and almost everything it publishes on the topic of immigration is either sensationalist at best or hateful and full of lies at worst.
Reply 13
Original post by VerdeBiancoRosso
I'm terrified that the source used is the Daily Mail. This is the same outlet that claimed ingesting calamari got a woman pregnant, that semen is good for women's health and almost everything it publishes on the topic of immigration is either sensationalist at best or hateful and full of lies at worst.

This is the original source

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/press-release/448

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/381

Seems to be an interesting site otherwise, with plenty of info on the EU referendum.
This is the original source

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/press-release/448

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/381

Seems to be an interesting site otherwise, with plenty of info on the EU referendum.

£1.2 billion is a bargain when compared to the £88 billion the UK born population cost. I can't help but feel the headlines taken from this article are tenuous at best and certainly spun for grand effect.
Yet again, that is a think-tank (a term worrying enough if you know what many think tanks get up to) owned by a lord that is well-known for having a right-wing bias and for supplying many right-wing news outlets (like the Daily Mail) with fuel in the form of statistics for their often discriminatory anti-immigration stances. The very fact that it covers this topic with little to no context on other economic matters gives it importance that it doesn't necessarily merit when compared to other far more costly government issues (see Trident [100 - 200 billion+] and corporate tax evasion through the use of shell companies and other methods [an estimated 2 trillion+ across American and European businesses that would work out to be hundreds of billions of lost pounds - 19 shell companies were caught hiding 13 billion alone in 2014]). So you see this is a commonly used journalistic device used to keep certain topics in the public consciousness.

But maybe the statistics aren't as off as I may have initially assumed having coming from the Daily Mail and they may indeed be correct, but the sole purpose of the think tank seems to be to cater to a specific agenda while largely ignoring the bigger picture.
Reply 16
Original post by ByEeek
£1.2 billion is a bargain when compared to the £88 billion the UK born population cost. I can't help but feel the headlines taken from this article are tenuous at best and certainly spun for grand effect.

Even if that was true, it doesn't change the fact that UK population is a necessity for the UK, EU migration is not.

Original post by VerdeBiancoRosso
Yet again, that is a think-tank (a term worrying enough if you know what many think tanks get up to) owned by a lord that is well-known for having a right-wing bias and for supplying many right-wing news outlets (like the Daily Mail) with fuel in the form of statistics for their often discriminatory anti-immigration stances. The very fact that it covers this topic with little to no context on other economic matters gives it importance that it doesn't necessarily merit when compared to other far more costly government issues (see Trident [100 - 200 billion+] and corporate tax evasion through the use of shell companies and other methods [an estimated 2 trillion+ across American and European businesses that would work out to be hundreds of billions of lost pounds - 19 shell companies were caught hiding 13 billion alone in 2014]). So you see this is a commonly used journalistic device used to keep certain topics in the public consciousness.But maybe the statistics aren't as off as I may have initially assumed having coming from the Daily Mail and they may indeed be correct, but the sole purpose of the think tank seems to be to cater to a specific agenda while largely ignoring the bigger picture.
Just like the Guardian, Cameron, Obama, government agencies and the big multinationals have an Europhile/left wing bias. I think I trust that think tank a bit more, at least their research is backed up with facts and not fearrmongering.
Original post by Maker
If Britain stopped EU migration, Spain will send back all the poor pensioners who will have nowhere to live and clog up the NHS and social services.

Serious or just joking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just like the Guardian, Cameron, Obama, government agencies and the big multinationals have an Europhile/left wing bias. I think I trust that think tank a bit more, at least their research is backed up with facts and not fearrmongering.

Yes. But in this case, what are those facts? It costs migrants to live here. So what? But if they weren't here would we be better off or worse off? That is not addressed by the report. So would I have had a plumber come to my house on a Sunday if the German one that turned up went home? Would the NHS be better staffed? Would business be able to recruit skilled UK workers in place of all the foreign ones?

It is all very well looking at people as economic units, but it doesn't paint the whole picture.

And where as the stay campaign may well be scaremongering, the best the leave campaign seem to be able to come up with in terms of a defence is to call it all rubbish or some sort of conspiracy. Very factual.
Reply 19
Original post by paul514
Serious or just joking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why won't they? The Spanish would be as keen to get rid of a load of people using up their health service without paying as the British. Well off Brits will be OK since they can buy private care but poorer Brits who rely on the public health service will be stuffed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending