The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 1 Biology Higher, thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sam345252
I mean the one about analysing the graph in which you had to put the time when glycogen was the highest

oh you subtract mean 0.1 from mean o.5g then divide by 4 giving 6.5 mm
Original post by Rainsky29
What did u guys put for the plant hormone commercial thingy and it was 2 marks

Fruit ripening
Seedless fruit
I counted the marks I defo got and it was 55/60! So confident with the sciences, it was soo good. I loved how q1 was all about thermoregulation and q2 (I think) was all about glucose levels! Loved the paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got vasoconstriction too and also guys what did u put fir the commercial plant thingy...it was 2 marks and you have to put two things

seedless fruit & controlling fruit ripening
Reply 44

Seedless fruits ( and veg) I'm not sure if I'll get the mark for saying veg and fruit ripening.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put down : Fruit Ripening and Rooting Powders.
Original post by LaFleur786
I got 6.5mm too, anyone else?

me too
Reply 47
Original post by Zellaforever
what did you get for the brain question

the answer to the brain question is that there's a part of the brain called the hypothalamus and it controls homeostatis and will send signals to different parts of the body for temperature regulation like vasoconstriction and hairs sticking up.
Original post by Hyprobably
I put down : Fruit Ripening and Rooting Powders.

I put fertilizers(seedless fruit and larger fruit)
and secondly I put rooting powder(growing plant cuttings which is faster that having to use seeds).
Is the fertilizers part wrong?
I thought that the paper tested specific background knowledge (e.g. "how do fungi feed?") far more than the typical questions I for one certainly expected to get ("what do stimulants to do reaction times and why?", "explain what a drug is", etc.).

Because of this, I found it slightly harder than the past papers and would personally be surprised if the grade boundaries didn't fall - maybe 47/48 for an A* - similarly, perhaps, to that paper with the MRSA trend as the final six-marker. Still, I know that many others said they thought that it was easier than other papers, so I can't comment on the general feeling.

I think I did well enough, but I know I've probably lost a considerable amount of marks because there were so many questions in which t wasn't always clear what was expected to be said for the marks (for example, that three-marker on malaria and sickle cell disease, seemed like a natural one- two-marker more than a three-marker).
Original post by sam345252
I put fertilizers(seedless fruit and larger fruit)
and secondly I put rooting powder(growing plant cuttings which is faster that having to use seeds).
Is the fertilizers part wrong?

If you didn't mention seedless fruit and larger fruit, and just "fertilisers", I'd be worried that it was too vague. Yes, gibberellin is used somewhat like a fertiliser because it produces large, seedless fruits, but in the context of the B1 unit, a fertiliser is considered to be nitrates.

Besides, the fruit also grows larger because there is more space for it to do so because there is no seed (to the best of my understanding). If you like, it's therefore an 'accidental fertiliser': if we define 'fertiliser' as something that promotes plant growth, then gibberellins are one because they do that, but not through making more proteins as B1 associates to nitrate fertilisers. The emphasis is not that they make the plant grow - but that the plant is larger and seedless. If I were an examiner, I'd be in doubt about whether to credit 'fertiliser' on its own, because the emphasis and connotations are inaccurate.

But it's only one mark - don't stress over it.
Reply 51

What was the question?

1) Rooting powder
2) Seedless fruit
3) Ripening of fruit

I think any of those is acceptable
Original post by Southwestern
I thought that the paper tested specific background knowledge (e.g. "how do fungi feed?":wink: far more than the typical questions I for one certainly expected to get ("what do stimulants to do reaction times and why?", "explain what a drug is", etc.).

Because of this, I found it slightly harder than the past papers and would personally be surprised if the grade boundaries didn't fall - maybe 47/48 for an A* - similarly, perhaps, to that paper with the MRSA trend as the final six-marker. Still, I know that many others said they thought that it was easier than other papers, so I can't comment on the general feeling.

I think I did well enough, but I know I've probably lost a considerable amount of marks because there were so many questions in which t wasn't always clear what was expected to be said for the marks (for example, that three-marker on malaria and sickle cell disease, seemed like a natural one- two-marker more than a three-marker).

I agree so much, it really tested how well you actually knew things in depth and they used quite odd wording for it
Reply 54
What other questions were there for question 6? I know there was the six marker about natural selection but what other ones were there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MohAhmedRS
What about the calculation?

Answer 6.5mm
Original post by vik_k1
What other questions were there for question 6? I know there was the six marker about natural selection but what other ones were there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How is a binomial name written?
What does each part of the Binomial name refer to?
What are the features of Fungi's Cells?
How do fungi feed?
The malaria and sickle cell question was so hard, and the maths calculation one. There was not many questions they just asked for a lot of marks for most.
Do you think grade boundaries will be high?
Reply 58
Original post by Hyprobably
How is a binomial name written?
What does each part of the Binomial name refer to?
What are the features of Fungi's Cells?
How do fungi feed?

Oh yeah!

Did you put the italic version and first word capital for the binomial name and genus and species for next question?

I put multicellular and has a nucleus in the features of fungi and then wrote about saprophytic for the next part (how fungi feed)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vik_k1
Oh yeah!

Did you put the italic version and first word capital for the binomial name and genus and species for next question?

I put multicellular and has a nucleus in the features of fungi and then wrote about saprophytic for the next part (how fungi feed)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Binomial Name i picked the italic with a capital letter for the first word, the genus and species.
I put multicellular and a nucleus.

I thought the how is the name written question to be really odd.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending