The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Biology Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by AxSirlotl
I got 66.6% for the malaria question because I figured that 0.6% of all people infected with malaria dying was way too low to be correct.

They make up figures man, go with the working out, not your judgement.
Original post by Lennie14!
What did you put for the question and it said something about why fish didn't eat mosquitos eggs?

I believe the question was about why mosquito eggs weren't the base of the food chain. I put that the eggs were the offspring of adult mosquitoes who live of human blood and so blood was actually the base of the food chain. I thought it was such a horrible question though!
Reply 322
Original post by Jobayori
Yeah I put this
Perfect answer :colondollar:

same :biggrin:
Original post by Ads.m
For the data logger question, could i say quicker readings as its directly attached.

I put clearer to see the exact temperature it's at
what did you write for the grass cuttings question? I only realised after the test that vacuum means no air.... does that mean the micro-organisms respired anaerobically? :s-smilie:
Reply 325
Could an answer also for the scatter graph be that 'The values have a large range, and are 'scattered', so a scatter graph is the most suitable form for the data'
Reply 326
Original post by dhruvap
Lol All you people arguing about 66.6% and 0.67% and i'm here with 6.6% lol... i wrote 1/150 x 100 but wrote wrong answer - would that get me the mark?

nah thats wrong u need to use the data they give you mate idk where you got 150 from
My result:

Minimum: 52/60
Maximum: 60/60
Realistic: 54-55/60

I'm really unhappy with that
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 328
Original post by habeeb_00
I'm relatively sure it mentioned boys and girls in the question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it did!
I compared girls with boys.
Girls were higher than the boys i calculated them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hopefullu got 48/60 :smile:
Original post by Redcoats
My result:

Minimum: 53/60

Bruh people are predicting themselves like 40/60 stop being like that:biggrin::biggrin:
53 is probably full ums anyways
Reply 331
Original post by kad126
1. Llegal, recreation (1) 2. Changes chemical reactions, causes withdrawal symptoms (1) 3. Independent company - not associated with the drug company (1) 4. Unbiased (1) 5. Effects nicotine, which is the same area as alcohol in the brain. Reduces pleasure, more likely to drink less (2) 6. Boys drink beer, cider but the girls drank more wine, alcopop and spirits. (2) 7. Not all boys drink because...(2) 8. Carbohydrates --> Energy, Protein --> Growth + repair, Fat --> Warmth + energy, Fibre --> helps digestive system, Calcium --> strong bones and teeth, Water --> Hydrated the body (6) 9. Temperature sensor - more accurate/easier to read because digital (1) 10. It increased because micro organisms break down grass, respire and release CO2 This is trapped because of cotton wool so it accumulates and increases (2) 11. It levels off at 20% because either not oxygen left for microorganisms to respire or all of the grass has been decomposed so the microorganisms have nothing left to feed on to respire (not sure) (1) 12. Receptor (e.g eyes/tongue/nose/skin/ears) detect stimuli and pass on an impulse. Effectors (e.g muscles/glands) receive an impulse and respond by contracting/releasing hormones (4) 13. Synapse - junction/small gap between two nerve endings/neurone (2) 14. Neurotransmitters diffuse through the synapse, attach onto nerve ending and continues pulse (2) 15. Sense organ using spinal chord - skin (1) 16. Mean speed = 80/50 = 1.6 (2) 17. Why is brain (without relay neurones) faster than spine? Less time wasted for impulses to be passed through the relay so it travels faster than the spine because of a shorter distance (2) 18. Biomass is lost through waste/energy/heat/respiration/movement (2) 19. There is a large amount of snails (200) as opposed to thrush (2) meaning they have less competition and ate more snails this more biomass (2) 20. It is a scatter graph because it is comparing two sets of data (1) 21. Higher percentage of no striped snails in woodlands but low percentage in grassland. Whereas with the light coloured snails, there's a higher percentage in grassland and low percentage in woodlands. (2) 22. Woodland snails are better adapted because they are camouflaged (1) 23. Horses foot size increased, amount of foot touching the floor decreased (2) 24. Foot has a larger surface area so less pressure on soft mud so they don't sink into the ground (2) 25. Variation in genes/mutations, better characteristics allow it to survive better and breed so their genetic material are passed onto the next generations. (4) 26. Advantages 1. Males are released, they don't feed of blood so they don't cause malaria. 2. They reproduce so the children die before they become female adults and reduce malaria outbreak 27. Disadvantages 1. Millions are released which could disrupt food chain, may even reduce biodiversity. 2. There could be long term side effects 28. Overall they should/shouldn't release the mosquitos because... (4) 29. Cut the gene using an enzyme from the DNA of the bacteria. Cut the DNA, using an enzyme, of the mosquito and insert the gene into it. Put the cell back into... (3) 30. First part of the food chain are producers i.e plants (2) 31. Mayfly larvae (animal) - water pollution (1) 32. Oxygen meter/rat tailed maggots/sludge worms for water pollution (1)60 marks

(Did this on my phone so explains why it's formatted so badly)

Amazing, will compile into the main document.
My result:

Minimum: 53/60

fam i woyld be happy with 35 if thats an A
Reply 333
My result:

Minimum: 52/60

bit of a bang out
Original post by habeeb_00
I got 0.666 whoops for the malaria one

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep, you're right, you times it by 100
Original post by Bubs051213
I believe the question was about why mosquito eggs weren't the base of the food chain. I put that the eggs were the offspring of adult mosquitoes who live of human blood and so blood was actually the base of the food chain. I thought it was such a horrible question though!

The bases of food chains are pretty much always a plant, so it would be the crop plants that were the producers
Original post by hguin
amazing, will compile into the main document.

how do u remember the exam or is it sitting in front of you lmao?
Original post by Ahmed74
Well .... at least I got 1 mark.

I got 0.6
Original post by PJ2000
nah thats wrong u need to use the data they give you mate idk where you got 150 from

1/150 x 100 = 0.666666%

1/150 i got from the total deaths/total number that catch malaria... and then x100 but wrote the wrong answer
Original post by Haashym
The indicator species answer was lichens and the environmental factor was air pollution

GM Mosquito - enzymes used to take out gene (first mark) the gene is transferred to the mosquito (second mark) at an early stage of development (third mark)

Scatter graph used to show the negative correlation

Apparantly it said animal and lichen isnt an animal, but i put it too. What was the other method of detecting the air polltion?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending