The Student Room Group

How do you think the AQA GCSE Biology 1 paper was?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Personally, I found it fairly easy, except for the 6-marker - I hadn't revised that.

What did people put for the animal indicators? I put Lichens detecting sulphur dioxide and an alternate way was with GC:MS.
Reply 21
It was terrible let's put it that way
Would I get a mark on the malaria question for putting 66% or not? I thought the paper was ridiculous as well :frown:
Original post by bants12345
Would I get a mark on the malaria question for putting 66% or not? I thought the paper was ridiculous as well :frown:

I put 66% as well...though everyone's saying its 0.6% so im pretty sure its not right. You'll get marks for working out though if you did any I'm sure :redface:
Original post by notveryoriginal
I do the AQA Igcse, so not the same paper but same board. It was also ridiculous. Nothing like any of the past papers, basically a paper two (application of knowledge) rather than a normal Paper 1 -_-

IKR XD. Here's hoping paper 2 has more questions on content.
Original post by ellenpeters
did anyone get 0.6 reccuring on the malaria question?

i got 1.6?
Original post by ellenpeters
did anyone get 0.6 reccuring on the malaria question?

Yes I did
I just ****ed the whole paper up....
Original post by PWS123
Personally, I found it fairly easy, except for the 6-marker - I hadn't revised that.

What did people put for the animal indicators? I put Lichens detecting sulphur dioxide and an alternate way was with GC:MS.

I put May-fly larvae detect amounts of water pollution
Reply 29
I found the actual biology questions good, nice 6 marker. but all the other non related maths and analysis type ones i hated...
hahaha just reading through this thread has made me realise how badly I've done.... i put 1.6x10^2% or something for the malaria percentage one... originally i put 66% then i changed it.... i don't even know what to say....
Reply 31
THE FIRST QUESTION WAS A JOKEEE! I had no idea what an independent company was so I winged it
Reply 32
I put lichens and air pollution for the indicator one but I remember the question asking about animal indicator species. I'm fairly sure lichens aren't animals so I probably got that wrong.
I am the opposite I thought it was quite easy. The 6 mark question was extremely nice and most questions were basic and involved you reading of a graph. I am annoyed of how little biology there was on the exam as I feel the hours I have spent revising these topics were wasted as people who hadn't revised could give that paper a shot and find it ok. Also, some of the questions were random like the independent company but again you could give it a guess. I'm sure you all did extremely well and all your hard work will pay off
Due to the fact i revised alot many topics that i wished to come up wasn't even on it hopefully the grade boundaries are like 2014 where 44 is an A* since looking at a similar mark scheme i think i got 44 marks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
six marker was a god send, best six marker everrrrrr
Reply 36
Original post by nettogrof
So I sat biology unit one exam today and it was the one exam I did a lot of revision for and did all the recent past papers for and I felt as though the paper was nothing like the recent past papers and a lot harder :'( How did everyone else find it?

Personally I found it okay. Definitely not my best exam but I feel as if I did as much work as I could and couldn't do any better. It was just such a weird paper, it was so weird. Like honestly, I was pissed off that I spent my time learning all these methods and loads of things but half the marks were just analyzing graphs and the "How Science Works" stuff which makes me want to cry.
I spoke with my friends after the exam and the straight A* students seemed to struggle with the paper more than anyone else did. Especially those that revised by getting to know how the exam papers were worded and made. For me, the question paper was completely different and at one point I looked back at the front to check it was even the right syllabus. It didn't feel anything like what the course is like. All the revision I put in for it felt completely useless. I heard the 2015 B1 was hard af, but this year's was just weird.

Crossing my fingers and hoping all other science exams don't seem as stupid as this one.
Reply 38
Original post by PWS123

I put that down as well, but everyone told me that lichen isn't an animal, so I don't think we will get the mark for that. And this paper was so annoying, why did they want you to know so many random facts.
(edited 7 years ago)
The questions themselves weren't that bad, I just came out the exam hall thinking there was something funny with it all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending