2016 AQA Biology Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by habeeb_00
I got 0.666 whoops for the malaria one

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats right, it was 300000000/2000000 which = 0.66 or you could have had 67%
Credit for original post goes to kad126

1. Legal, recreational (1)
2. Changes chemical reactions, causes withdrawal symptoms (1)
3. Independent company - not associated with the drug company (1)
4. Unbiased (1)
5. Effects nicotine, which is the same area as alcohol in the brain. Reduces pleasure, more likely to drink less (2)
6. Boys drink beer, cider but the girls drank more wine, alcopop and spirits. (2)
7. Not all boys drink because...(2)
8. Carbohydrates --> Energy, Protein --> Growth + repair, Fat --> Warmth + energy, Fibre --> helps digestive system, Calcium --> strong bones and teeth, Water --> Hydrated the body (6)
9. Temperature sensor - more accurate/easier to read because digital (1)
10. It increased because micro organisms break down grass, respire and release CO2 This is trapped because of cotton wool so it accumulates and increases (2)
11. It levels off at 20% because either not oxygen left for microorganisms to respire or all of the grass has been decomposed so the microorganisms have nothing left to feed on to respire (1)
12. Receptor (e.g eyes/tongue/nose/skin/ears) detect stimuli and pass on an impulse. Effectors (e.g muscles/glands) receive an impulse and respond by contracting/releasing hormones (4)
13. Synapse - junction/small gap between two nerve endings/neurone (2)
14. Neurotransmitters diffuse through the synapse, attach onto nerve ending and continues pulse (2)
15. Sense organ using spinal chord - skin (1)
16. Mean speed = 80/50 = 1.6 (2)
17. Why is brain (without relay neurones) faster than spine? Less time wasted for impulses to be passed through the relay so it travels faster than the spine because of a shorter distance (2)
18. Biomass is lost through waste/energy/heat/respiration/movement (2)
19. There is a large amount of snails (200) as opposed to thrush (2) meaning they have less competition and ate more snails this more biomass (2)
20. It is a scatter graph because it is comparing two sets of data (1)
21. Higher percentage of no striped snails in woodlands but low percentage in grassland. Whereas with the light coloured snails, there's a higher percentage in grassland and low percentage in woodlands. (2)
22. Woodland snails are better adapted because they are camouflaged (1)
23. Horses foot size increased, amount of foot touching the floor decreased (2)
24. Foot has a larger surface area so less pressure on soft mud so they don't sink into the ground (2)
25. Variation in genes/mutations, better characteristics allow it to survive better and breed so their genetic material are passed onto the next generations. (4)
26. Advantages 1. Males are released, they don't feed of blood so they don't cause malaria. 2. They reproduce so the children die before they become female adults and reduce malaria outbreak
27. Disadvantages 1. Millions are released which could disrupt food chain, may even reduce biodiversity. 2. There could be long term side effects
28. Overall they should/shouldn't release the mosquitoes because... (4)
29. Cut the gene using an enzyme from the DNA of the bacteria. Cut the DNA, using an enzyme, of the mosquito and insert the gene into it. Put the cell back into... (3)
30. First part of the food chain are producers i.e. plants (2)
31. Mayfly larvae (animal) - water pollution (1)
32. Oxygen meter/rat tailed maggots/sludge worms for water pollution (1)
(edited 7 years ago)
For the question about why the absence of a relay neurone makes the mean impulse speed faster, is it just me who put that that would mean that there is only 1 synapse so there isn't as much time wasted waiting for a chemical to diffuse. No one else i know put this, am i really wrong or??
I got roughly 36, do you think I might just scrape an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 404

sfe man
Reply 405
Original post by Anmol_.
i don't think it would be that high especially to get a B:s-smilie:

I swear a C is normally mid 20s too??
Aiming for an a* but at this rate I've probably just got a B

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by InneRs
Are you sure you put braket?
How did I get 0.6%?

0.67% was right, i dunno where 15% came from
can you get the foundation one to please
Original post by lunaticash19995
Oops I coverted that into 66%
Do you think I will get one mark for the workings.

They don't usually give you the mark :s-smilie:
Reply 409
what did everyone write for the last indicator questions
Original post by Ishan_2000
Was the very final question about Lichen or Invertebrates? I'm pretty sure lichen is a plant, not an animal? And what is another way to measure water pollution then!

I'm pretty sure lichens are animals. That's what I put anyway.
Original post by Ollie1999
What points did you guys make for the 6 marker question. Completely wasn't expecting healthy diet question.

I wrote the 7 things needed for a balanced diet. Protein, carbs, fats etc
Original post by issathemuslim1
thats right, it was 300000000/2000000 which = 0.66 or you could have had 67%

It equals 0.0067, which is 0.67%, unless I am tragically mistaken.

Also you got the 2x10^6 and 3x10^8 mixed up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LeoZango
I'm pretty sure lichens are animals. That's what I put anyway.

lol lichen are plants... but i put lichen cos i didn't read the animals part
oh well
Original post by tkrv
what did everyone write for the last indicator questions

I put freshwater shrimp and how it indicates the level of pollution

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by InneRs
Same. I'm reassured.

Me too
Original post by hguin
Lets create the unofficial mark scheme for today's biology paper, please help by commenting in this format: [Question number - Question - Answer - marks given].

Please continue to submit answers!

Go here to see the complied mark scheme: http://gcseanswers.co.uk/biology

Attachment not found

I wrote that invertebrates indicate water pollution. In the second part, I wrote that a high percentage of invertebrates would indicate that the water isn't polluted whilst a low percentage would indicate pollution. Is that correct??
Original post by maisie2209
For the question about why the absence of a relay neurone makes the mean impulse speed faster, is it just me who put that that would mean that there is only 1 synapse so there isn't as much time wasted waiting for a chemical to diffuse. No one else i know put this, am i really wrong or??

I put something made up like if there's not relay neurone, it takes longer for a chemical to diffuse over a larger synapse and find a neurone or something? :\
For the last question could you have written..
Mayfly Larvae
Indicates dissolved oxygen in water
Could also be measured by dissolved oxygen meters?
I got 0.67% as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending